Is there a cheap way to measure brightness?

luigi

Enlightened
For a project I'm planning I would like to know if there is a cheap light-meter or similr that can be used to measure the brightness of a flashlight.Something very common that can be bought in different countries will be perfect, the cheaper the better.
I'm aware about lux, lumen and candles, but even if inaccurate or inexact a measurement is a measurement and can be valuable for some people.

Thanks for any ideas or pointers you may send me.

Luigi

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several guys that have described their light box measurement contraptions... Not sure what your definition of cheap is, but I'd expect to have to pay at $100-ish to get set up. I think unless you're going to create a website where you compare a large number of lights against one another, it probably isn't worth the hassle or cost... I mean, if you have two lights and you like both of them and you want to know which is brighter, there is a thing called a ceiling bounce test. You just aim the light up at the ceiling which will the reflect off and illuminate the room to one degree or another. Then do the same with the other light. Whichever one lights up the room the best is the brightest. The reason we bounce the beam off the ceiling is this will give us a lot better idea of the total output or 'lumens' which is quite difficult to accurately guesstimate while just shining the beam on the wall. From two or three feet, the light with the highest 'lux' count will almost always seem the brighter of the two but for lumens, you need to take into account every single bit of light in the hotspot, the corona, the spillbeam and how bright each of them are.

As for throw, that should be VERY easy to compare without any type of test equipment. With the throwier lights, go to a reasonably dark parking lot and pick a reflective object... compare two lights and whichever illuminates the reflective item best is most likely the light with the most throw.

Personally I wouldn't mind having a basic setup, more so I could accurately test, plot and compare runtimes between lights than just compare brightness or throw. I never get tired of going down to the church parking lot and comparing two or three lights.

Get to meet quite a few nice sheriff deputies that way too!
rolleye11.gif

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a CEM DT-1300 or similar. Goes for about $25 on eBay and does their job ok for incans. Probably the cheapest out there.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-LUX-LIGHT-METER-METRE-FLASH-MEASURE_W0QQitemZ7585350478

Search for "digital lux light meter". It was pretty cheap, but I'm happy enough with it. Shine a light on it, and it gives you a number. Shine a brighter light, and you get a bigger number.

I bought the one that takes a nine volt battery. There's another model running around eBay for a similar price, but it takes some oddball 12 volt A123 cell (or something like that). I can't speak for that one, as I've never used it.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I have a Sekonic L-508 lightmeter for photography. Is there anyone using something similar?

NickelPlate

Enlightened
luigi said:
For a project I'm planning I would like to know if there is a cheap light-meter or similr that can be used to measure the brightness of a flashlight.Something very common that can be bought in different countries will be perfect, the cheaper the better.
I'm aware about lux, lumen and candles, but even if inaccurate or inexact a measurement is a measurement and can be valuable for some people.

Thanks for any ideas or pointers you may send me.

Luigi

I built an ultra cheap measurement tool out of a small cardboard box from an ATX power supply and a linear photocell (CdS cell) for less than $2. It doesn't tell me how many lumens or lux but it's very useful for getting a baseline reference from your lights with new batteries by measuring the resistance of the photocell. As the light becomes dimmer the resistance of the photocell will increase. I drilled two small holes in the box for the photocell leads and epoxied it in place. I do all my testing in a dark room.

Using a Fluke 189 logging meter I'm able to log runtime plots to see how well regulated my lights are and make my own battery comparison.

Later I can use the plots and the box to get a pretty good idea of where I am on the runtime curve. Regards,

Dave

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot the CPF member that did this, but I thought it was brilliant!

He has a night light that turns on and off at a certain light level. What he does is point the flashlight at it from a long distance. Once the night light turns on he measures the distance. The farther away the night light turns on, the brighter the light. Great way to figure out which light is brighter for a few bucks and a night light is good to have around.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've been doing that for quite a while. I even have a second one set up in the garage specifically for that purpose.

You can also select a certain distance and use just the spillbeam to turn the nighlight off... that way you can compare the brightness of two spillbeams.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
To compare relative brightness, you can get a photocell from RadSnax and connect it to your VOM, set to resistance mode. Just be sure to get a photocell that isn't too heavily slanted toward one color in the light spectrum.

I have had great success with this testing automotive headlamps. The numbers you get from the VOM are only good for a relative measurement, but the numbers I get are RIGHT on par with my Sper Scientific lux-o-meter.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
What scott said.
I use a LDR (light dependant resistor/photocell) and plot graphs of 1/R against time. If you keep distance the same and ambient light to a minimum, you can compare brightness (throw) of different lights. I use mine mostly to check the quality of regulation and runtime.

Cost for a photocell is <$2 for one.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shine your lights in your eyes and time how long it takes your vision to return! To not bias the test use your favorite pinup to focus your eyes on. When you can resolve your favorite anatomical feature end the test! LOL!!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Wavetek Meterman LM631 is the de-facto standard for a light meter here on CPF, and on at least one major flashlight review website.
It's a good little inexpensive meter, and can measure in foot candles and lux.

PGP

Newly Enlightened
I just got off of Ebay the CEM DT-1301 CE certified digital light meter / Lux - fc meter with 4-digit LCD display.

Patrick