Newbie query - swap out LED in MXDL

ChrisM

Newly Enlightened
First post onto this forum, take pity if the query is a bit lowly
mpr.gif

So I've taken the risk after reading far too little on the MXDL "bargains" on ebay. Picked up a 3W "luxeon" light for 0.1cent. Paid the Prime minister of Hong Kong to personally deliver it going by the shipping rates applied and from what I've read I may get a decent torch for the price but may also just as likely get junk.

If the latter, can I swap out the LED for a sourced Luxeon star by simply removing and resoldering in the legit led ?

Ultimately this was going to be my first foray into self made bike lighting anyway - half the fun is in stuffing it up and having a good laugh.

Thanks

pc_light

Enlightened
ChrisM said:
First post onto this forum, take pity if the query is a bit lowly... If the latter, can I swap out the LED for a sourced Luxeon star by simply removing and resoldering in the legit led ?

Ultimately this was going to be my first foray into self made bike lighting anyway - half the fun is in stuffing it up and having a good laugh.
Hello ChrisM,

And welcome to the CPF.

That's the spirit - modding, experimenting and taking a risk is half the fun. The MXDL is a good way to start, all the components are easily accessible and there's no complicated circuitry involved. The best part is that it's relatively inexpensive to start.

No enquiry is too lowly, because us CPF'ers are a pretty lowly bunch to start with <kidding> and always glad to lend an opinion or helping hand. Although it is expected that one researches first, as you have indicated to have done.

Anyway, not sure which version you have but the ver. 1 I have uses only a bare emitter, rather than a Luxeon star (some photos here> . I am presuming your v.2 will be similar. Don't get your hopes up on a nice white, bright emitter though, with these lights its a long shot lottery. There's a "group buy" (GB) going on now I believe for some TWOH emitters, highly recommended tint and flux.

A tweak you'll need to make straight off the keep the light working well is to secure the batter adpater. Its a cheaply made 3xAAA adapted and because of the poor fit and finish, the batteries may make intermittent contact. I found that wrapping the batteries with a round of electrical take worked wonders, especially with all the bouncing on a bicycle.

BTW, a few of the regular CPF/dealers offer the MXDLs for a good price. patronizing them might have been safer than ordering blind off of ebay. They have bicycle mounts also, so check them out.

Enjoy.

pc_light

Last edited: