Worst thing to happen to your lights?

carrot

Flashaholic
On Bladeforums there are lots of threads about people misusing knives and ruining them.
Any stories of the abuse and misuse of your flashlights?

IonFire

Enlightened
Good question Carrot.

popcorn.gif
This may get interesting.
popcorn.gif

The worst i seen personally(Brief version) was a hood slammed on a truck in our shop.(I just happen to walk up on buddy doing this) With motor running, and a 2xAA Mag sitting on the fan schroud.
The hood slams shut,(the light must have jumped at this point) cause then the noise, then the Hood started to pimple BADLY, with lots, i mean boatloads of noise, then the light slamming into the ground at enough of a angle it shot, across his bay through some flimsy drywall into the, partsroom. Partsman greg hehe,comes out about 5 seconds later with it in hand, looked like that Surefire porcupine kinda.

Dude (TR, the mechanic in bay next to mine at the time) looks at me and says,while smiling ear to ear, i was gonna grab my 3D light to use, good thing i didn't huh.
naughty.gif

We howled, buddy was a bit of a show off anyways. A pretty fast wrench he was, good too. so it didnt hurt 'em much. Shop and him paid for damages, which there was a fair bit.

When the hood slammed in hindsight, the look in his eyes, was priceless, he knew instantly what was going to happen. And i tell you, he could not run fast enough to shut it down, lmao.

Good times them days.
evilgrin07.gif

Peace

IF

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I briefly lent my HDS B42XR to someone at work, and the first thing he did after turning it on was shake it.:huh2:

I could only guess that he's seen people have to shake their crappy flashlights to get them to work properly (Brad Pitt keeps doing it in "Se7en"). I'm pretty sure he didn't think it was one of those magnetic shake lights.

Not really a "horror story", since he didn't actually hurt anything, but it baffled me nonetheless.

carrot

Flashaholic
GadgetTravel said:
Does leaving a 3 month old A2 in the seat back pocket of a plane count? :(
:'( yes. I tore my entire room apart looking for my G2... so I can only imagine how crazy I'd get if I lost an A2.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The worst thing that can happen is to have one Stolen, I had an 8 LED cavers headlight stolen from me when I was on holiday leave.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that. I hate thieves.

Not a big deal, but I once had a battery leak in my CMG Infinity. That bothered me because they don't make them anymore. Since then, I only use cheap lights for battery drainers.

a99raptors

Enlightened
GadgetTravel said:
Does leaving a 3 month old A2 in the seat back pocket of a plane count? :(

Sorry to hear that. I really feel your loss. But hey, look at the bright side. The next person who finds it may not appreciate it as much, but just at the right time, he uses it to fulfill SF's primary function - SAVE A LIFE! :)

atm

Enlightened
a99raptors said:
Battery leak in AAA Solitaire Maglight. Sealed the tailcap shut and rendered it unusable.

Ditto. Frustrating, but a good warning not to let it happen to an expensive light in my case.

Andrew

JimmyB

Enlightened
Streamlight SL-20X. NiCad ran out. Put 3 D cells in for emergency light. After use I put the light away for a long time and forgot about the alkalines. Took it out a couple years later and put it on the charger with D cells still in it. What a mess. Had to throw the whole thing away.

JimmyB

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lost mini mag's from rolling road case's over them, dropped them from
40-60 FT light thress's, and frankly just got mad at a few when a bulb went out when I really needed it, and beat it to death on a hard road case or other surface.Now that i own a few good (ie expensive) light's i count to 10 before going wonky. (ok, 20 sometimes :rant: ) VDG

a99raptors

Enlightened
voodoogreg said:
I have lost mini mag's from rolling road case's over them, dropped them from
40-60 FT light thress's, and frankly just got mad at a few when a bulb went out when I really needed it, and beat it to death on a hard road case or other surface.Now that i own a few good (ie expensive) light's i count to 10 before going wonky. (ok, 20 sometimes :rant: ) VDG

Get an M6.......... Try to break THAT! :) And no cheating by hitting the window.....

BBL

Enlightened
the worst thing that usually happens to a flashlight is borrowing it to a non-flashoholic... you either know that - or learn it the hard way (like myself)

IonFire

Enlightened
Yes, lending out a toy to a Non-anything, is and can be disastorous.:poke:

I do carry loaner knives and lights now, just in case.

So this, is the worst stories so far, must be low attendance around here, last couple days or something. I can not imagine that no-one else here has any bad, ugly flashlight stories.

IF

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I used to own the Orb CPF edition #001. #001 out of 100 (I think)

I tried to polish it myself, boy what a mistake, used my Dremel.

I ruined the light, it really looked like crap. I threw it away! :awman:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
BBL said:
the worst thing that usually happens to a flashlight is borrowing it to a non-flashoholic
agree!!
hike with sleeping in the woods, 15 pll with only 7 lights (4 on me), so lent some around.
These ppl dont really care whatever, so by the end, the one with the MM-sammie was lost.
Damn (was an orange one) :-(