Worst thing to happen to your lights?

carrot

Flashaholic
yellow said:
agree!!
hike with sleeping in the woods, 15 pll with only 7 lights (4 on me), so lent some around.
These ppl dont really care whatever, so by the end, the one with the MM-sammie was lost.
Damn (was an orange one) :-(
Solution: if they don't care, give them crappy lights, like Xnovas or Ghost IIs. I just ordered 2 Xnovas from Dae for that purpose.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I took 2 nieces and a nephew on a flashlight walk across the Foresthill Bridge in Auburn CA one night. This is the bridge the opening scene in the movie XXX was filmed on where he drives the Corvette over the edge. I outfit all the kids with a light. The 5 year old gets a Opalec/minimag, the 10 year old gets G2 w/BOG 3W, and the 11 year old gets a E1e. Well on the way back to the car I hear this "clang-clang-clang." What ended up happening was my niece used my E1e as a noise maker, she hit all the metal rail posts for about 50m!

I once had a 3D Mag that I used for work. At the time I did building inspections for hazardous materials storage compliance. It was in LA and I left it in a ceiling cavity. Five years later I got another contract to update this building's plan. On a whim I returned to where I thought I left it. My partner thought I was crazy when I told him where I could get a flashlight in the building. Low and behold it was still there and the batteries hadn't bled out. I still have that light. Its about 20 years old now and looks like crap because it did part time work as a hammer. Its in my truck. Hey that just reminded me, I gotta swap out the batteries and get a LED mod for it!

Great thread carrot!

kelmo

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had a Turtlelite II destroyed in an earthquake in early-2001 after a very heavy object (possibly part of a wall) fell on it. :sick2: :eek: :sick2:
I was able to rescue the bulb from it, but the rest of the flashlight was a total loss.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
a99raptors said:
Get an M6.......... Try to break THAT! :) And no cheating by hitting the window.....

I would love one! just a little heavy for around the neck lanyard use. :crazy: But it would definately raise some eyebrows(and contusions and bruise's if a
crew tech pi$$'s me off :grin2: ) that is fo sho my next "big" light though.

The HDS B-60 has served me well, even on the biggest stage's.
bright enough to signal to the back, and lower setting's for my guitar tech to use when i'm on the stage. But I would love a "big" Surfire, I bet a SF "beast"
would raise some pulse's :naughty: VDG

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
agree!!
hike with sleeping in the woods, 15 pll with only 7 lights (4 on me), so lent some around.
These ppl dont really care whatever, so by the end, the one with the MM-sammie was lost.
Damn (was an orange one) :-(

With ya there. I have a whole second set of lights that I loan to non-flashaholics (mostly MiniMags w/nite-ize or River Rock .5 watters).

So far the worst things that have happened to my lights are...

Surefire 6P slid off the fender of a tractor and hit the PTO coupling on a tractor (while it was spinning). Dull CLUNK and that light was hiked about 15-20 ft up in the air (while on). Landed in some soft dirt tailcap first and stuck there shining up into the sky. Made an odd dent in the side of the head and scuffed the HA but that was about it, the bulb didn't even blow.

Lost a MiniMag (back when they were the coolest) after an emergency bug-out while camping. Found the light 2 YEARS later and with new batteries it still worked fine.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My keyring unscrewed the tailcap off my Solitaire. When I tried to put it back together cannot find the spring or spare bulb. Twice.

-----

Tried to soften the focus by spreading some grease on the reflector. When I tried to wipe the grease off, the reflective coating came off with it. Luckily it was a cheap plastic Dorcy.

-----

Leaking batteries ruined a lot of illuminated magnifiers.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropping a cheap Panasonic BF-100 and having crack and go out while I was "draining" (exploring a storm drain pipe)

Having my mom throw an Energizer light away

Dropping my River Rock 2AAA several times onto hard concrete or asphalt. It still works though but there are scratches around the head.