Change converter board for QIII?

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
I want to upgrade a QIII to have full regulation and maximum output, if possible ~60 lumens. If I wanted to put in a new board, would I have to use this: Q-III Sandwich Conversion Housing?

It will run primary cells not R123. I'm ok with the board sucking the battery dry in minutes b/c I'm planning to put a 2 stage mod on this as well (Low-High-Off).

So which board and is it easy?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't actually HAVE to use the conversion housing. A little ingenuity can get you a long way. Well, that and the copious use of epoxy. I do have to admit though; I made a sammie conversion module for my QIII maybe a year ago, and it's definitely the way to go. I understand that someone is now producing them. If they're around $20, that would be money well spent. I took me an hour or so to turn mine.

BTW, for what you want to do, I'd use a NexGen based sammie. If you use either a K Vf luxeon or bias it for more than 700mA, you'll be able to run it on an RCR123 as well. If your chief concern is sucking the battery dry, you might want to consider a MadMax+ based sammie, although running li-ions with this board is iffy.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hyperslug: what switch are you looking to use for the 2-stage? The switches I've found have a low-off-high-off operation.

Sorry for the hijack, let me know how your mod goes. I may be interested in doing this also, but the price of the sammies are prohibitive for me (w/ the cost of the Lux3 added).

hyperslug

Newly Enlightened
jsr said:
Hyperslug: what switch are you looking to use for the 2-stage? The switches I've found have a low-off-high-off operation.
I was going to see if Goldserve or Litemania had any suggestions or spares for sale. Low-Off-High-Off is ok but I think I'd like Low-High-Off better. I believe the 301X-3 behaves like this so it's doable somehow.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know of a switch that can do low-off-high-off. I haven't found one that goes low-high-off yet, but I'm sure it's out there. If you find one, let me know. Otherwise, let me know also if you'd like to place an order together for the low-off-high-off switches...I think they were from digikey, but I have to look again. I haven't actually looked around much for switches, so there's likely more options available.
Thanks,
J.