Multistage brightness driver info needed

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I need some basic info on how multistage brightness drivers work, as I might be having a stab at my own.

Here's what I want to happen. I want 3 brightness levels and my host to be modded has a reverse tailcap clickie.. I guess this could be somehow achieved with and/or/nand gates. I want power from the battery to come thru on 1 pin of the chip when the torch is turned on once. Turn it off and on again, and it comes thru on 2 pins. Repeat, and power comes thru on all 3 pins. The more pins, the more power. If it's then turned off and on again, it goes back to 1 pin. I can take care of the rest of the circuit but I'm stuck with how to achieve this.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you need something like the flupic. Instead, it uses two pins as enable/shutdown and two ldo regulators. On low and high mode, the user can set the PWM duty cycle. On burst mode, both the ldo regulators are turned on.

You may want to adapt your deesign to work with the flupic or I can program something custom for you but cost might be a little on the high side.

Cheers and good luck!

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, sounds like to would work, bit it might be a bit over complicated... It's only going to be for 1 light so it's not really worth doing custom programming. Thanks for the offer tho.

I was thinking of using some and and or gates to achieve a flip-flop sort of circuit... I'm going to try and dig up some info on how to use this for power switching as it's been a while since I've done this sort of thing. :)