Can I Compare a Surefire U2 to a HDS85?

Lite

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Some help would be very much appreciated in making a tough, and expensive decision.

I'm very interested in the flashlights as mentioned in the title. Almost certainly I'll be buying one of them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I consider either light to be a good - all-around - high quality light.

I understand that the HDS85 was released for only a short time, and then pulled. Apparently, it is to be re-released this March.

The size difference between the two lights doesn't concern me too much as I have a few other flashlights which I'm now rotating as my edc.

I am looking at a good balance between throw,spill, brightness, durability, and brightness settings in these two flashlights.

Perhaps, these lights have been compared here already? If so, please forgive me.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.:help:

Freedom1955

Enlightened
If we are comparing the HDS U85 single battery tube light and the U2 and seeing is how you are not concerned about the size I'd say get the U2 and run it on LG 18650 2400mah non protected rechargeable battery's. That will give you a good 90 minutes of runtime on high!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can compare them in terms of using LED's but the U2 uses a Luxeon V while the HDS U85 uses a Luxeon III (I think.)

These two lights IMHO are two different markets. I have a SF U2 and have handled a Ultimate 85 and 60 (with a U60 on its way to me) and can say that you have to give more specific questions.

The U2 uses 2X CR123's, Pila 168A/S equivalents (ie 18650 Li-Ion cells.) It an not take 2X RCR123 batteries though because of the voltage.

The HDS U85 can take an assortment of batteries (depending on tubes purchased) but comes with a 1 X CR123 tube. It can use primary cells, Li-Ion unprotected, and protected cells.

Both lights have similar brightness, throw, durability, and adjustable levels. The throw is similar IMHO, there is a difference but not by a long shot. The U85 uses a clicky menu to switch between brightness levels and these can be 'programmed' into the flashlight. The U85 has ~20 levels I believe (or was it 21/22?) The SF U2 has 6 levels. I am not alone when I think the U2 is sometimes too bright on the lowest level with dark adapted eyes. the new SF Kroma seems to address this problem. My memory is a bit shady but think the U2 won on spill but lacked just a tad on throw (both were close enough though.)

Get both, the decide which one you would like to keep.

Comparing apples to oranges IMHO. Ones designed for size and EDC ability (U85) and the other is a utility light (U2.)

Lite

Newly Enlightened
If I bought the HDS85, I would also, likely, pick-up the 2xCR123 battery tube. For comparison purposes, (I do not, yet, have rechargeables) I would be running primaries on either light.

JasonC8301, I like your point about the flexibility of batteries with the HDS. Thanks. There's no way I'm getting both lights to compare, though - LOL.