SF G2 almost drop in clickie

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well today I went to work and was presented a freebie. An 8 Led super-cheapo flashlight. They know I've got a thing for good flashlights, well they thought I was crazy when they found out how much my SF 8AX cost. Anyhow I've want on/off ability in my G2 since I got my hands on a E2L. And the freebie was my ticket to clickie heaven.

The light has 8 leds, 3 AAA btteries in a carraige, and a click on switch. The switch is threaded into the end cap. And though the threads arent the same it fits into the tailcap of the G2 very well. There is however the need to create a complete cuircut so a bit of soldering and cutting is nessasary.

So a brief run thru of how I did it and how you can to, cause its so easy.

97e8a0a4.jpg

8led0002.jpg

So here we see the light (sacrifical lamb). I've seen it on ebay listed as a 8 led tactical best light ever mass produced in china. Its not too bad for a 8$ light. Its great for a 8$ drop in SF tailcap clickie.

a6d457bf.jpg

Here I've disassembled the light(Jonny-5 not alive!) to get the clickie out of the tailcap just grab it with a pair of pliers at the plastic on both sides of the spring and unscrew.

Now if you just screw it into the G2 tailpiece(assuming you know how to get the stock momentary switch out) and assemble the G2 you'll find that it doesnt work thats because the cuircut is incomplete the G2 battery holder has a metal sleeve that carries the current to the bulb and our clickie needs to be modded to accomplish this. So heres what you need:

- Soldering Iron
- Flux and Solder
- A small strip of metal
- A tool to remove plastic(dremel, knife)
- Parental Supervision if under 18 or a buddy if your prone to hurting your self with hot or sharp things

237fbe45.jpg

You'll find the metal contact next to the clickie button on top and the spring on the bottom of the switch. Carve a groove thru the threads going from the contact down towards the spring; so whatever piece of metal you plan to lay in there doesnt interfere with screwing on the tail cap. Now solder the metal strip to the contact and lay it in the groove. It should extend past the plastic threads 2-4mm.

d1e5b254.jpg

Screw the switch into the SF tailcap and put it on the G2. Click away!!

41fa1214.jpg

I also took the o-ring out of its normal track and moved it closer to the threads because the tailcap wont screw as far as it used to. I havent submerged the light with this mod in place and dont plan to. Nor do I suggest you try it just tighten the switch in all the way and it should make a tight seal to the SF rubber switch cover.

Happy Modding

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the tip :) , although i've always liked the twistie on my G2...and nope, i'm not biased. I love clickies and twisties!

Welcome to CPF :grin2:

(if you're running the G2 stock and want more, there are alot of drop in mods for the G2 to make it alot brighter if you search around! :) )