8 watt luxeon!!! Watts' going on!!?

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
:wow:

A lot has been discussed here about this 7 Watt "Luxeon" Goldston light.

I just saw one new one being sold on eBay, 8 watts!!!

dcarch8

greenLED

Flashaholic
TinderBox (UK) said:
do you yanks want to buy london bridge again.:naughty:

regards.
Thanks, but I already have 2.

In all seriousness, PK (from SF) showed us some 10W LED's from Lumileds, and mentioned more power is to be expected within a year. I don't think the lights he showed us would be for sale on eBay. ;)

FirstDsent

Enlightened
This may be the recently announced 8 Watt made by and sold by the same people who brought us the Golston 7 Watt. As far as I'm concearned, the Golston walks the walk, so I'm willing to give their 8 Watt a try.

Time will reveal, but the Chinese may have made an emitter that can get away with being seriously overdriven -more than a real Luxeon. Most people believe that the 7W is just an overdriven Lux III counterfeit, but it is possible that this copy is even more rugged. If the 8 Watt is the same emitter being even further overdriven, skepticism is warranted. However if this copy can take the heat, it will put out a ton of light, albeit at very low efficiency. It could also be an entirely new emitter. Either way, at the kind of price I paid for my Golston, I'll take another chance on this manufacturer. The fact that they say "Lumileds" on them is unfortunate, but it doesn't mean it isn't a good product.

I for one am not counting on Lumileds for the next kickass torch LED. It may well come from some unheard of S.E. Asian company like this that built its business on counterfeits, but figured out how to make a powerhouse. We can only hope that they elect to give it a new name and stop stealing Lumileds' name.

Personally I don't care about efficiency much for a flashlight like this. It won't be my EDC, and I won't use it enough to worry about short runtime, or burning through a lot of batteries. I just want at least one really, really bright LED thrower.

Keep checking the Shenzhen Wholesale Portal, and Axeshop for the new 8 Watt, and even a 10 Watt rumored to be available soon. I can't wait for the verdict on these preposterous lilghts.

Bernie

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox (UK) said:
do you yanks want to buy london bridge again.:naughty:

regards.

I lived on a beach in Baja for a year and some of the people involved in that purchase were buying property down there.
The phrase "You can't cheat an honest man comes to mind." They were snakes.
They were also trying to involve a very nice man named Phillips. You may have seen the name on bits and pieces of electronic gear...

This was 20 - poop - 30 years ago and the land is still undeveloped. Use Google.earth to see the places.
28 18 17.04 N 112 52 31.33 W is the south end of the property and
28 24 33.66 N 112 51 28.78 W is where I ended up.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I personally couldn't care less if an LED can be driven at 8 watts if the efficiency goes south. For example, what good is an 8 watt LED which only gets 20 lm/W, or 160 lumens total? When we can reach the 8 watt power level and get 50 to 70 lumens per watt then I'll pay attention.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard of quoted numbers (7 or 8 watts) referring to the power drawn from the power supply. This is a worthless number. Hence, I will continue to buy from reputable dealers like Surefire.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
CM said:
I've heard of quoted numbers (7 or 8 watts) referring to the power drawn from the power supply. This is a worthless number. Hence, I will continue to buy from reputable dealers like Surefire.
Obviously SureFire is a premium maker. I like them just fine, but they don't have anything (LED) this bright. Oh yea, I also paid <$30 shipped for the "7W".

Originally Posted by jtr 1962
I personally couldn't care less if an LED can be driven at 8 watts if the efficiency goes south. For example, what good is an 8 watt LED which only gets 20 lm/W, or 160 lumens total? When we can reach the 8 watt power level and get 50 to 70 lumens per watt then I'll pay attention.
Until then, you'll settle for dim lights?
In your example, the 160 lm is what counts.
Efficiency is irrelevant for a fun-light. when you shine a spot on a distant object you don't care how efficient it is, you only care that you can see the object. Many dim lights are very efficient, and most efficient lights are dim (by comparison). Niether impresses me. Brightness is where the power meets the pavement. I want the brightest light.

I love muscle cars, they're fast. -Not very efficient though. I don't need an economy flashlight especially if I'm using rechargables.

See my sig line!
Bernie

jtr1962

Flashaholic
FirstDsent said:
Until then, you'll settle for dim lights?
In your example, the 160 lm is what counts.

Efficiency is irrelevant for a fun-light. when you shine a spot on a distant object you don't care how efficient it is, you only care that you can see the object. Many dim lights are very efficient, and most efficient lights are dim (by comparison). Niether impresses me. Brightness is where the power meets the pavement. I want the brightest light.
My point was that if I can get 120 lumens using half the power (a likely scenario when you're overdriving by that much), then why bother? Your eye will barely notice the difference. I'm not overly concerned about run time when using rechargebles, but 8 watts will cause a huge heat dissipation problem in most torches whereas 3 or 4 watts won't. Sure, you'll get your 160 lumens for a minute or two until the torch warms up, but eventually you'll be well under 120 lumens you would have gotten with 3-4 watts while using twice the power. Now when LED efficiency reaches 50 or 60% then you can drive an LED to 8 watts and get the same heat as a present-day 3 watt puts out. That's when it will make sense to me. For now if I need more light than one emitter can efficiently deliver, I'll just go with multiple emitters. That's essentially what we did here when all we had was 5mm LEDs. In fact, that's why I'm still a big fan of the 5mm's. The modularity can't be beat, plus the best ones nowadays run at 75 to 80 lm/W.

I've never been one for operating past the point of diminishing returns. I've seen too many examples here of people going "watt-crazy" (for lack of better term) without taking the time to really analyze what they're doing. I've even seen some examples where people drive LEDs past the point of diminishing returns. They're so obsessed with pumping every last ounce of power into the LED that it actually ends up being dimmer than if just run at a lower current.

Not a big fan of muscle cars, either, since the goal usually is just to get quick 1/4-mile times, something which is useless except on a drag strip, and also since an internal combustion engine is poorly suited for quick acceleration compared to an electric motor (which is why EVs are really the ultimate muscle car). I'm more a fan of ultra-efficient vehicles, especially EVs, which require little power to run at ultra-high speeds. Sure, your muscle car may beat me in the 1/4 mile, but given good enough aerodynamics I'll fly right by you a few miles later, and use 1/10 the power doing it. For a muscle analogy to flashlights, think of your 160 lumen blaster which gives 160 lumens for the first few seconds, fades to 120 or less as it overheats, and kills the battery entirely in 10 minutes. Now compare that to something designed to give 120 lumens on full if needed, continuously for 20 minutes if need be, but can also throttle down to whatever is needed to conserve batteries. Which is more useable in the real world? Like in a car, I'd rather have somewhat less but still adequate acceleration but also have twice the range on full, and the ability to not waste energy (i.e. fuel) spinning a big engine when I'll seldom need it.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originally Posted by jtr
1962,My point was that if I can get 120 lumens using half the power (a likely scenario when you're overdriving by that much), then why bother? (with this 8W? -FD)
I mostly agree with you believe it or not. I meant the above post to bring the opposite end of the spectrum into focus, because it is often misunderstood. My entry into the debate was not intended as an objection to your opinion; yours is shared by most sensible CPFers. Since we are just about opposite, I believe we are keeping this thread interesting

I'll be super excited when efficiency takes a huge leap. Obviously however, I intend to ge the most light possible out of it, ie: if I can get 120 lumens using half the power, I'm still foolish enough to push it to 180lm using twice the power. At least I'm true to myself.

If by "diminishing return" you mean getting less total light, I clearly wouldn't advocate that, but diminishing return with regard to efficiency is less tangible to me due to the pennies it costs me per month to charge my batteries.

I couldn't agree more about the potential of the electric car with regard to performance. I have been advocating for an electric dragster for a long time purely to demonstrate to my fellow gearheads the awsome power potential of an electric motor. However, in the whole scheme of things, a purely electric car for everyday use is also at a point of diminishing return due to the inefficiency of our power generation plants. It takes more btu's of heat (at a steam-generated electric plant) to make 1 watt of power in an electric car, than it takes to make 1 watt of power in a racing motor. Pollution, likewise is lower from the IC motor than the electric motor if the latter derives its power from a coal-fired plant.

All that said, I am still missing one light in my collection: an efficient light with lots of runtime for backpacking and sea kayaking. None of my power hungry lights are worth a crap on day two of a trip. So when I said I'm not interested in efficiency, this is where I was wrong.

Thank you for engaging me. I love this stuff.

Bernie

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
FirstDsent said:
If by "diminishing return" you mean getting less total light, I clearly wouldn't advocate that, but diminishing return with regard to efficiency is less tangible to me due to the pennies it costs me per month to charge my batteries.
Then you'll love this:

Lamina_BL-22D0-0130.GIF

I pushed a Lamina BL-2000 from its nominal 420 mA to 1400 mA. It still had a little output increase left to give even at 1400 mA but I felt I was already pushing my luck. I certainly don't mind experimenting to find out where the point of diminishing returns is, but whether or not it's worth operating there depends upon the situation. If emitter longevity and battery life isn't a concern, then maybe. If it is, then no.

However, in the whole scheme of things, a purely electric car for everyday use is also at a point of diminishing return due to the inefficiency of our power generation plants. It takes more btu's of heat (at a steam-generated electric plant) to make 1 watt of power in an electric car, than it takes to make 1 watt of power in a racing motor. Pollution, likewise is lower from the IC motor than the electric motor if the latter derives its power from a coal-fired plant.
I think if you figure battery charging efficiency at 90%, motor efficiency at 85%, electrical transmission efficiency at 90%, and generating efficiency at roughly 50% overall you end up with ~33% of the BTUs in coal ending up in energy at the wheel-road interface. I think the best road diesel engines manage ~25%, and most gas engines are 15%, so you're actually still ahead. Also, with EVs your pollution is concentrated in a hopefully remote generating station instead of distributed in populated areas (about the last place you really need it). Main problem I see with EVs at this point is lack of efficiency of mass production which would bring the costs down, and push the development of even bettery batteries (although present ones are plenty adequate).

So when I said I'm not interested in efficiency, this is where I was wrong.
Nice to have at least one efficient, long run-time light. I personally can't wait until efficiency increases give us the best of both worlds.

Thank you for engaging me. I love this stuff.
Ditto on that! :thumbsup:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Originally Posted by jtr 1962
Also, with EVs your pollution is concentrated in a hopefully remote generating station instead of distributed in populated areas
Excellent point about the distribution of emissions. Net emissions are higher at the powerplant, but mostly isolated from dense population areas. Sorry if you're downwind of one.

Do you think everyone realizes that their flashlights pollute the air? Another thread?

I don't understand the Vf/current chart. I'm not well versed in electrical theory. Ohms law is about all I remember from my Jr. electrical kit circa 1976, and I can't relate that easily to this.

If voltage curves out at approx. 9.3v on this chart, and amps incrase greatly at that point, what is the intervening variable? What causes the energy to convert from mostly volts to mostly amps? Resistance? If this is the case, is it the resistance that limits the efficiency of LEDs?

We have hijacked this thread. Sorry dcarch8. we should start another. Any idea how to get it going?

Bernie

Luna

Enlightened
jtr1962 said:
poorly suited for quick acceleration compared to an electric motor (which is why EVs are really the ultimate muscle car)

When you can get a powersupply that produces over 4.2MW, then lets talk :wink:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
8 watt luxeon? Is that a n bin (vf) Luxeon III that is being overdriven? :D

As others have stated, the power to the LED without knowing the flux is really meaningless and if anything suspect, IMHO. When I got some K2 samples last year, I put a T bin LuxIII and a K2 both in HD45 lights driving them at 1.4 amps. The LuxIII pulled about 5 watts of power the K2 was in excess of 7 watts. The LuxIII put out more heat but the K2 was much better at keeping my coffee warm! :nana:

Want to buy a Luxeon 7.25 watt light? Sorry, I have scrupples. :eek:

paulr

Flashaholic
Since the thread is drifting we may as well also mention that besides emissions, a maybe even bigger problem with conventionally fueled autos is imported oil dependence and the various economic and foreign policy hassles that go along with it. The generation plants that power EV's usually are powered by coal, nuke, hydro etc. rather than oil, making them much more attractive from that point of view.