Driver for 6 x 5mm?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'd like to build out a small light w/ 6 traditional 5mm LEDs. Ideally it will be built into the head of a mini-minimag.

Any suggestions for a good, cheap driver that will run these 6 LEDs from a 1.7v lithium primary or possibly a 14500 Li-Ion?

Jon

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure about use in a Minimag, but I had a Lowes Task Force light with 6 Nichia CSs driven by a DB400. It was impressively bright. That sent about 66mA to each LED and it was considerably brighter than a stock Inova X5... probably three times as bright.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could use one of my upcoming LDO^3 drivers, i think they will fit into a MM.. 14mm diameter, the 'standard sammie' size. you'd have to use LiON and get the voltage to be happy with the goesin and goesout.. but depending on the Vf, you could use 2x17500 and use the LEDs either 2x3 or 3x2 series-parallel.

-awr

sp5it

Enlightened
It is not so hard to build, but you will need to make PCB. Rest of elements are cheap, and easy to find in radioshack. If you got soldering skills and you can read schematic I think you can build driver quickly.
I will help as I can.
Mike

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWR, sounds interesting, but I was hoping to do this from a 1xAA mini-minimag. I could possibly use two 1/2AA Li-Ions if such a thing exists. But, I'm hoping there's a boost or even buck/boost solution.

sp5it, I'm not sure I'm reading the first page right, but it looks like http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3061/ln/ might give me what I want. One IC(??) and three small caps, buck/boost, and it would push 6 in parallel. Does that sound right?

Jon

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool.. 1AA even better... should be no problem and you can likely run all the LEDs in parallel! I use it to run a single lux to up to 1000mA but as low as 10mA.

-awr

ktronik

Enlightened
IMHO, One AMC7135 ($1) driving 6 matched 5mm LED's from a 14500 would give 53ma per LED... the AMC7135 is only a few mm across...prehaps the simplest & cheapest option ....

enjoy

Ktronik

moraino

Enlightened
ktronik said:
IMHO, One AMC7135 ($1) driving 6 matched 5mm LED's from a 14500 would give 53ma per LED... the AMC7135 is only a few mm across...prehaps the simplest & cheapest option ....

enjoy

Ktronik

Where can I buy AMC7135?