Maglite 4 D cell?

Wireman

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me, or is there not a lot of talk about modding a Maglite 4 D cell?

I would like to upgrade the bulb to LED while keeping the 4 D cell configuration (I've seen 3 D cell lights changed to AA, I would rather avoid that). What good options do I have?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Within a week, there's the yet to be reviews Nite Ize drop-in. Wait a bit longer, and get a 4-cell specific Mag LED drop. Also, not reviewed. I'll leave the actual modding to the experts.

Arclight

Newly Enlightened
The same question just occurred to me; I tried searching but "4-d" and "4d" are too short to search!

Looks like the Nite-ize site shows C and D-cell LED bulbs available in April '06. So, unless there's a 3rd party replacement (nothing on flashlightreviews.com), we might have to wait!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at some of the drop-in kits for the 4D on flashlightreviews.com

There's lots of options there for you and your 4D..

AlexSchira

Enlightened
...They pushed back the C/D drop?! Are the colored MM drops still shipping in March?

CLHC

Flashaholic
The highly modified Maglite 4D in LEDs was by Inretech. Haven't seem them around for some time now. They were available over at Drumbalaya.

VWTim

Enlightened
I built a 4D Lux III light for my boss a while back. Used an O-sink and a T**M That along with a resistor inline (~1 ohm iirc, I can confirm) came out to about 800 mA draw to the lux. Worked out pretty good.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only lack a good way to get power from the switch to the pins on the MR16s and I would have a damn bright 4D.

For now it has my "white" (very blueish!) EverLED in it. It isn't terribly bright, but should run a LONG time if the power goes out...

And it is beaten by a 2D with 3C and a "bulb" from a Craftsman 3AAA Lux for both bright and white!!!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the recommended battery/driver/LED combos mentioned for ModaMags PTS2 heatsinks is 4AA/Shark driver/three Lux3's. I have the parts on the way to try this in a MagSD. I figure if I like the results, I'll do the same combo with my second PTS2 except using my Mag4D instead of the AA's. The voltage is the same and the higher capacity would give much better runtimes.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107131

Flakey

Enlightened
Playboy, a kiu socket should fit mr16 just fine. I dont know of led drop ins for the 4d, but i have a regulated, lithium powered, mag100, in a 4d host that im currently building. Although lithium cells are not something to play around with!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Flakey said:
Playboy, a kiu socket should fit mr16 just fine. I dont know of led drop ins for the 4d, but i have a regulated, lithium powered, mag100, in a 4d host that im currently building. Although lithium cells are not something to play around with!

Sure man. It's just that I don't have PP and KIU is in HK. And even 12-15 bucks is too much for me these last few months.

Thankfully my M*g85 is damn bright and nice!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Everled in MY 4D. My parents and my brother have Tektite drop-in replacements for theirs. I personally like the Everled better than the bulb, the Tektite to me is kinda dead even with a nudge towards the runtime factor.

If I could find it I'd definately consider an InReTec drop-in, but it doesn't sound like they're so available anymore. Which is a shame. If you'd be willing to let somebody borrow your light for a while there's a TON of options as far as mods - not really drop-in, but far superior to any drop in you'd find anyway. Look up some of the stuff 3rdShift has done, for example..