PT Eos heatsink mod

ktronik

Enlightened
Yes, the Eos has no heatsink!! It does have a heat regulation circuit for 'high' mode, so when the LED get too hot it backs off the current a bit...That means a dimmer light... the hotter it gets the more it backs off the current...

Adding a heatsink helps to lower the temp on the star's MCPCB, so the heat regulation circuit kicks in later, if at all...

So when swapping out the LED, just cut out a piece of copper or alloy, the same shape as the gold section & the same thickness as a 1w star board, remove the tab that holds the star up & insert the heatsink. I used 3/4 's of a star board for my heatsink, the overall height is spot on!! :)

eos6.jpg

A bit of expoy on the star stops the heatsink from moving around...as the optic holder holds the star in place.

A little heat gets to the board, but thats alright as when they get made they go through an reflow oven @ 100's of deg, so a little heats is not a problem...

***when removing the star from the Eos, it pays to snip the leads to the glass diode stuck to the star's underneath as on the more recent versions this has been stuck good, & the diode has broken when removing***

You then have to remove the diode from the star board, with a sharp knife...

I also frosted the optic on one of my units...very nice wall of light, but no punch...

eos5.jpg

If you break your diode, let me know, I can supply a replacment part, i have been testing, so far so good...

enjoy

Ktronik

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hum... very interesting.... do you acually notice any increase in brightness on high?

good mod though and thanks for sharing! :)

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
Nice post Kerry ;)

Hope my early voltage tests helped you :)

For everybody who don´t know it:

High 3.022V (heatregulated)
Medium 2.855V
Low 2.714V

If the regulation works on 100% the volatge trops to 2.8951V (take a look at the Medium setting ;))

ktronik

Enlightened
jar3ds change the height of the centre post & your 3w star will focus...all the new ones are coming through with nice stars...mine were RV0H!!

Flo you came to the party with a lot of info!!! the voltages helped a lot...

It got me thinking...

eos-test.gif

How can this unit be really currently regulated, when you change the Vf of a LED (as above) the current output should stay the same...the above shows the same voltage not the same current...so if this also hold true for low & med modem then it must be semi-regulated or voltage regluated... :thinking:

So if voltage regulated then a lower Vf will incress the runtime...shown above...

More testing need to be done...

the next test should be a runtime graph showing when the current drop due to the heat regulation circuit, then do a test on a unit with a heatsink fitted

can someone please post the graph here is if have missed it...

Flo's static resistor regulation data...

BTW, no currentregulation in level middle and low, only in high

I found this out, after take the resistor and put it on the two contacts and the light flicker, but no flicker in middle and low setting, so in this to settings the heatregulation don´t work.

EOS Level
high 3.022V
middle 2.855V
low 2.714V

Now the stats

10kΩ 3.022V
8.55kΩ 3.022V
7.78kΩ 3.022V

6.78kΩ 2.962V
4.96kΩ 2.918V

3.24kΩ 2.895V
1.76kΩ 2.895V

Last edited:

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
humm.... very interesting info... i cannot believe I haven't read this...

ktronik... Do you have any more current info on this?

Seems to me that even if you had it so that the heat regulator never kicked in... the amount of brightness wouldn't be too much...

very good info here though... thanks!

ktronik

Enlightened
Soon I will have graphs & Sh*t of runtimes w & without heatsink, to see if I have wasted my time or not...

Moving... so givs a week or two..

Ktronik

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ktronik said:
Soon I will have graphs & Sh*t of runtimes w & without heatsink, to see if I have wasted my time or not...

Moving... so givs a week or two..

Ktronik
lol... alright... good to hear...

if theres anything you want me to do on my end I will... I don't know if I would be able to create those runtime graphs but I can do other things :)