Anyone into radio control cars?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife bought me (!) a Tamiya Fighter Buggy RX radio control car the other day, complete with everything. I have to say, having never had anything to do with RC gear, I love it! I took it for a spin out the back of my place where there's a bit of a dirt track and it's lots of fun. Unfortunately, since it was second hand it was missing a couple of parts (looked like it was never used though). One of the bits missing was a cover for the mechanical speed control (a three step forward/reverse job which simply uses a servo to slide an arm over some contacts, which utilise a big resistor if not in the full speed position). The first problem is that this gets dirt in it, so the car stops responding intermittently as the dirt stops the contact. The second problem is that I know there must be a better way (i.e. electronic speed control).

Any advice? Where can I get a good but cheap ESC (or is it even worth it)? If I do get such a beast, do they include the receiver and antenna or will I need to replace that too? I don't know anything about these things! I am pretty clever with the mechanics of it, so I think I could figure it out, but ESCs are just "black boxes" to me; I have no idea what's in them and what they do/require. I assume the car still has the stock motor, and it's running with a NiMH battery pack (1400mAh - I was surprised at how long it ran for last night, I was hooning it around for about 20 minutes and I think it still had some juice left!).

Alright, over to you.

Please don't make me cut my flashlight budget short (it's already hardly noticeable - don't forget I just had a son!).

carrot

Flashaholic
I almost got into the stuff; my friend was really into nitro RC trucks and cars. If you'd asked me a few years ago I would have been able to answer about ESC and the like. I'd suggest http://towerhobbies.com for starters. You won't believe how much money people pour into this hobby... kinda like flashlights. And if you want another truck, look into http://duratrax.com and http://traxxas.com

I plan on actually getting a nitro RC truck soon, maybe the Duratrax Nitro Evader BX. Too bad they discontinued the Duratrax Axis... now that was a slick buggy.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I was contemplating getting into RC Nitro, but MAN do these things cost BIG time! My next door neighbor makes custom bodied planes and helicopters for those into aerial RC.

sizzlechest

Enlightened
Yeah, I've spent plenty of $$$$$$$$$$ on that hobby.......

What you'll want to do is replace that servo controlled speed control system and upgrade to an electric speed control- not too expensive to do. Go to any hobby shop and they will set you up. This is an essential upgrade to any good RC set up. Also, it really cleans up the interior of the frame as well- not soo much "stuff" to clean when you run er' thru the dirt!

You will be able to use your same remote control to operate your newly upgraded speed control system.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I used to race a few years ago, before we moved to our new house. Haven't had time or money to race since then.

I would recommend the Futaba
MC230CR ESC w/Reverse 20+T
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUY13&P=7

They are pretty good esc's for the money. It is really simple to hook up. You will connect the steering servo and the receiver speed connection to the esc. The worst you will have to do is maybe change the connection to the motor. This speed controller has bullet plugs, and your current motor to speed controller connection might be a Tamiya style plug (white plastic).

Switching to an esc will give you more run time from your battery packs and more speed. If your car can handle it you can get a faster motor. I would start with a "stock 27 turn" motor.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been meaning to get more into this. I found an original '80s Associated Electrics buggy at the local dump. Still has the original Aristocraft electronics and the resistor speed control. One of these days I'm going to buy some of the small parts it needs and get it running. Anyone have any tips as to where to get cheap suspension and car parts?

Last edited:

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
the stock 27 turn motor might be too fast for new drivers. why dont try the mabuchi or johnson motor (they're a lot cheaper, too). once get used to it, move up to a "faster" stock 27t.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Traxxas Jato that I haven't played with in a couple of months. It's a lot of fun. Probably goes around 50 mph.

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
@Trashman
it probably can. top speed is all about gear ratios.

FYI, going to a lower motor turn, one needs to change the final gear ratio. Otherwise, the motor would blow up.

Niteowl

Enlightened
About '90 I was bitten by the RC bug. Spent about $800 without even getting into racing. Bought a lot of accessories and modding bits and pieces. Still have most of my stuff, I'm sure my batteries are useless by now. The first was a Kyosho Turbo Ultima with the Aluminum frame. Still have one new, unassembled in the box. My favorite was my Tamiya Blackfoot. Still have that one even though I beat the crap out of it. Have a fresh body for that. I figure my boy will get a kick out of them. He's five now and won't know my RC's are antiques! I've thought about selling the Ultima but can't get myself part with it. The new gas trucks are sharp and it's tough to ignore them. Oh yes, ESC's are the way to go.

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
Kyosho Japan supports spare parts for the next five years after the kit has been discontinued. The Turbo Ultima buggy kit was released to the market back in the early 90s. So finding parts for it would be difficult noawadays. I believe the same thing applies for Tamiya kits.

Generally mid to pro level of R/C cars are for the age of 14+. Entry level kits, such as those from Tyco - which can be found at Radio Shacks or even Target, Wallmart - are suitable for younger kids. However, there are no parts supports from the company.
If you break it, it would be useless more or less.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
motor will not blow up

even with no load - motor will not blow up

the hottest motor made will not blow up

my motor has a 57000 rpm no load speed(if I remember right) 380 watt motor.

tekin tempfet high current high switching speed regenerative esc.

turns the motor into a generator when you hit the brakes.

worlds smallest 2 ch reciever

carbon fibre titanium etc

highly modified rc10

years ago I spent a small fortune

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
I've dabbled in the R/C arena. My current collection is composed of a couple of Radio Shack ZipZaps (for the kids, lol!) and a Losi Mini-T. The Mini-T is a heck of a lot of fun to drive, and the local stores seem to stock many of the OEM and aftermarket components.

Now, what EDC should I mount on the Mini-T for nightime driving? Actually, I guess that would be really be considered RCC (radio controlled carry)... :ohgeez:

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 digiq cars and 2 tanks

the motor and batterys and power connectors for my rc10 are old
but it still has enough power to roast the tires on carpet
and melt the tip's of the carpet fibers on a hard launch.

probably do even better with some fresh lube in the diff/transmission.

not a indoor toy

I broke a friend of mine's big toe with it once(playing with it indoors)

he wanted to sue me

his toe is kinda fubar to this day.

it will go over 45 mph with out a body shell

very tough car

flying down concrete stairways chasing cats and dogs - no problem.

the titanium bits cost me over 400 bucks.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, another RC10 owner. Seems like a great mechanical design, heavy as heck. Any pics of yours?

This thread has renewed by interest in getting the poor thing going.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
My Ni-Cad packs have been sitting for 2.5 years now. A few months ago I ran them through a couple of charge/discharge cycles. They have held up well. I fear the two NiHih packs I have did not hold up so well.

I still have all my cars. Keep promising myself I am going to get to a few races this year.

I still have the following cars:

Yokomo MR4 TC SD
Yokomo MR4 TC Special
HPI RS4 Pro3 (actually have 2 of these)
HPI RS4 MT

If I get time tonight I will throw some pics up.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my car started out as a rc 10

2.75 pounds with battery

carbon fibre and titanium helped a lot in the weight department.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
compared it to my hid vector at a little over 4 pounds

I think 2.75 pounds is right

I have never posted a picture on any website

I guess I should learn how.

my nice camera along with a few other things are still locked in a drawer in my mom's minivan - no key ore a jammed lock

I have a little 1 mega pixel thing around here some where in my mess

I have a friend who has a 59 dollar cheapie

I plan on a full speed crash - mine into his - to end his car's usefull life.

Last edited: