whats better hdtv dvd or blu ray

raggie33

*the raggedier*
who will win i like sony but hey the made the betamax a betetr pruduct but lost to vhs so who do ya think will win?

ATVMan

Newly Enlightened
Blu Ray for sure many people think that normal DVDs are high def nope they run at 480, true high def is 1080

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yeah thats weird about dvd cause they look so great on my dads hdtv i casnt even imagine how good it would look at 1080

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's interesting how a standard-def program that's been de-interlaced (upconverted to 480p) looks more like HD than the SD that it really is. I was astonished the first time that I saw a 480p DVD paying on a decent monitor.

Anyway, it looks like Blu-Ray is going to win. A lot of heavy-hitters are throwing their support behind the format.

TorchMan

Enlightened
That's an excellent question. I looked into getting an HDDVD player, but wow, the price was enormous. As to true HD starting at 1080, I thought it was considered HD at 720 or so. My HD tv is rated for something like 720 or 760, I forget. It looked better than many HD sets rated at 1080. I even saw some ED sets (580 or so?) that looked better than some rated 1080. Anyway, last I saw the cost of HDDVD was around a thousand bucks. Haven't checked in a while. Has it come down?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One of the kinks in all of this is that a display device for a high-def DVD is likely going to have to be HDCP compliant (or some variant of HDCP). This will likely rule out most computer monitors, and it's rumored that it will even rule out builders who make their own PCs and load Windows Media Edition on it. This is because the hom ebuilder cannot certify a "protected path" from the disc to the display device.

This could get ugly...

Monolith

Enlightened
TorchMan said:
Anyway, last I saw the cost of HDDVD was around a thousand bucks. Haven't checked in a while. Has it come down?
A Toshiba unit is out for MSRP around $500. Street price will be lower.

Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Last edited: