VERY impressed with a LED light from menards

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I useually dont buy multi LED lights, but my Uncle told me about a 21LED jobbie at Menards. At 13.00 I thought it was good to check out. It has a side clickie that selects 7, 14 or 21 LEDs. The batteries are 3x AAA in a molded C size insert. The threads are nice and NOT sloppy. There are SMD resistors in the head assy, and with the included batteries I measured IIRC about 220mA for the 7 led level (32ish mA per LED), 330mA for the 14 LED level, and 330mA for the 21 LED level. Obviously the batteries cant handle the current.
This is the part that impressed me... The LED are configured as 7 in the center (now blue LEDS) and 14 around the outside. I replaced 7 of the 14 around the outside with some 40Kmcd 5mm LEDs, and to my surprise, I cannot see ANY brightness differences between the stock and the 40Kmcd's. It looks like some of the nicer brighter LEDs (5mm) are making it into the mainstream market.

Jeff

CLHC

Flashaholic
For some reason, multi-LED lights give me the heebeejeebees. The only multi-LED one I have in my arsenal is the SSL from Streamlight. The next in line would more than likely be the SureFire A2 Aviator. I get an "itch" that I can't scratch on my neck when I see too many SSLEDs in one flashlight head.

Enjoy!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with ya CHC. I kinda picked it up to mod it, because of the switch and the construction. But now with 3 modes, 7 blue, 14 white, and 7blue/14 white, it works nicely in my tool box. CHEAP so I wont get depressed WHEN TSA trashes it, and the blue makes dust and lint show up, which is REALLY handy when cleaning out a CO2 laser chamber.

Jeff

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would think that Alkaline AAA's would be able to handle 330mA of current (110mA per battery) just fine. Problem is that AAA's are not a very good power source for larger LED lights to begin with. I would never buy a AAA light larger than an Solitaire size that uses AAA's.

The bulb in my 2D Rayovac and 2D Mag draws 930mA from the Alkaline batteries or about 465mA a piece.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
IC, the batteries are configured in series, so that is 300mA per cell. like I said, nice as a toolbox backup, useually to loan out as my LUXIII single Li-ion dosent leave MY grip.
jeff