torch walks

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
lately ive been taking my kids out in the woods at night for torch walks. they love it even though the little ones find it slightly scary. we even play torch hide and seek.does anyone else do things like this or are we just weird ? any other suggestions/ideas for other fun things to do ?what are your favourite mad pastimes using your torches? gc.

waion

Newly Enlightened
We have regular night hikings (about twice a month). This is the major way we play with our flashlights.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
waion said:
We have regular night hikings (about twice a month). This is the major way we play with our flashlights.

I'm coming to HK early July , can I come too !!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check with your local parks, the Metropark system in Central Ohio generally has night hikes about once a month. You get to see the park in a way that most people don't, since it's closed off at night, and you might meet some flashaholic friends..

bexteck

Enlightened
I don't know where you are located, but in the Northeast USA, during the winter our local cross country skiing club sponsors moonlight ski's on clear nights with a full moon. Out on the trails you don't need a flashlight to see as the moon provides plenty of light. Fun stuff.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
From "Torches" I'd assume Golden Creature is somewhere in the UK.

Anyway, my wife and I do regular evening walks, and in the fall we also do corn mazes, some of which they run at night by flashlight. (see this thread about making converts) :naughty:.

I've also organized a night-time scavenger hunt before.

There was also a thread about flashlight games but I can't seem to find it. Anyway this link will describe a few of the more popular games.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my CPF name, avatar and location in header might give the game away !!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I think my CPF name, avatar and location in header might give the game away !!

I was referring to the OP (Golden Creature). I edited my post to clarify.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
bexteck said:
I don't know where you are located, but in the Northeast USA, during the winter our local cross country skiing club sponsors moonlight ski's on clear nights with a full moon. Fun stuff.

I was replying to the previous postee, before you posted, but my post arrived after yours !!

zespectre said:
I was referring to the OP (Golden Creature). I edited my post to clarify.

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Last time I saw a torch walk was in the Frankenstein movie. There were a bunch of villagers carrying them just going for a midnight stroll. :laughing:

Cliff

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cliffnopus said:
Last time I saw a torch walk was in the Frankenstein movie. There were a bunch of villagers carrying them just going for a midnight stroll. :laughing:

Cliff
Thankyouthankyou for saying that, man I've been waiting for the chance to poke fun at british vernacular with a "Angry mob with torches and pitchforks" reference! Just never saw the oppertunity.
This post kinda belongs in the "Yanks talk funny" thread, but since I'm posting other things anyway....:whistle:

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
thanks for your replies.i really like this site except that most people erroniously call torches flashlights.gc.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Oooooh semantics, I must buy a new lamp for my M3
lamp.jpg

Although a bulb would probably be better.

Back on topic, I do guided bat walks for the general public through the summer, and I don't know if its the excitement of being out in the woods/countryside in the dark, or the fact that we're so good at it, but everyone loves them. If ya wanna make ya evening walks more interesting get yaself a "bat box" and walk around the woods then try an track the bats with a "thrower" they are pure aerial acrobatics :touche:

hardrock42

Newly Enlightened
Torches! Rule! Night Hikes even better.
Night games... ah ha! I know many, my Explorere Scout group do quite a few "wide games" at dusk on our camps. One for example is called the 'drugs run'!
Best played with two teams of 5 and above.

You have the 'dealer', 'reciever' , 'smuggler', and 'police'
The 'drugs' are generaly bags of flour in a plastic bag. hehe
The basic aim of the game is for the smugglers to smuggle as many drugs past the police from the dealer to the reciever. Whilst the police hunt between the dealer and reciever catching and confiscating any drugs found on anybody. (Smugglers sometimes make a diversion, carring nothing, so watch out!)

We play it on a field and in woods, its awsome. The best bit is when the police catch the smugglers, sometimes the police may "accidentaly" split the bag and pour the flour over the smugglers head! Then they stand out even more on their next run!

When my gladius arrives, I cant wait to be the 'police' hehe. They will not get past me! Mwahahaha!

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
hardrock42 said:
One for example is called the 'drugs run'!

hardrock, you game sounds great! i'm a little worried though. if i went out in the woods where i live with bags containing white powder, i would soon find myself looking at the inside of a tiny room with bars on it. great post though. gc. :lolsign:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the faces of the other outdoor pll. when they come back to their cars at 5 pm and see You just starting Your hikes, is well worth doing it...

PS: Try caving if Your kids like night walks.

Vee3

Enlightened
My wife, son and I go hiking in the local mountains and desert quite frequently. I always try to make sure we leave late enough so that it will be dark on the hike back to the car.

A few weeks ago we were walking on trails overlooking the ocean in Palos Verdes CA and flushed what seemed like 1000 mourning doves out of some cactus that swarmed around us like bees. It was awesome. My 7 year old went nuts.

Just like in the movies, the monsters come out at night. In our local desert in the summer, you can see all kinds of animals that are most active at night - Bats, snakes, owls, tarantulas, lions and tigers and bears, OH MY!

The mystery of what might be "out there" beyond the flashlight beam makes it a lot of fun. Lots of "WASSAT????" being said at every little noise in the bushes...

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
I love to walk through the park near my flat with my partner at night, complete darkness, a good 30 minutes walk, with at least 4 torches on us! But we are cuttingit down because they are quite a few 'hoodies' :mad: around nowadays, alright for me on my own:touche: but not when I am with my girlfriend.