Bicycling

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got certified at work and ride a bicycle for patrolling.
Man, how many years has it been since I rode ?!
I have since developed a new found interest in riding. Even went and got a bike for home. Guess it kinda makes me feel a bit younger again, it really is alot of fun.
Also got a carrier for my 3 y.o. daughter. I like us being able to do something together outdoors instead of watching the tube, quality time. gets us out of the house.
Anyways, as with any new hobby or interest I develop i am looking to research.
Is there like one definitive catalogue of cycling accessories I should check out? I have done searches here on CPF and found some great sites but would like a hard copy to also be able to look thru when at work, away from the PC, or just plain sitting on the can:naughty:

I would also like to find any sites about cycling that doesn't neccessarily have to do with products. I have been looking for sites about bike patrols but haven't found anything really tutorial in nature.
I'd appreciate any links or info I can get.

I'm actually thinking about trying to start a local bike club, family orientated, not really a distance running thing, but activities for the family to get outdoors together with others.
....of course I will have to educate everyone on lighting options for their conveyances:laughing:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Try Performance Bike for an accessories catalog. I used to order from them quite a bit before I started buying most things on eBay. They have a decent selection plus fairly reasonable prices.

I suggest getting a cycling computer of some sort if you don't already have one. I find I don't even enjoy riding unless I know how far and fast I'm going. It also lets you gauge your fitness by seeing how your average speeds improve over time when riding the same route.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second JTR on performance bike online. There are other sites as such as www.bikenashbar.com . As far as bike computers my Garmin Etrex has become an expensive but very useful bike computer. I love the mapping feature.

There are a few really dedicated bicyclists here so I'm sure you'll get some knowledgable replies.

greenLED

Flashaholic
nashbar is my site of choice.

Also, check out www.mtbr.com They have an excellent section on lights!

I am not a aware of a bike-patrol-only forum or site. I do know some manufacturer's of bike lights have bike-light patrol systems (nite-rider and nightsun come to mind first).

InfidelCastro

Banned
Reminds me, since bike riding season is fast approaching... anybody know where I can get a decent, comfortable replacement seat for a circa 1993-94 Schwin Mountain Bike?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Reminds me, since bike riding season is fast approaching... anybody know where I can get a decent, comfortable replacement seat for a circa 1993-94 Schwin Mountain Bike?

Infidel,
I have been riding a recumbent bicycle for years but I don't think my seat will fit your MTB. The most comfortable seat I ever used was a Brooks leather seat. At first, it is very hard but will break in to fit your sit bones and become very comfortable. Use the Brooks leather conditioner, keep it dry and it will last you 30 years. They cost around $60 to $80 depending on what model you get (wider, narrower, springs etc)
A good site to read about long distance riding is crazyguyonabike were people ride on state rides, across the country and around the world. Great site to see what parts work, what parts break and general tips on how to keep going.
There are bicycling newsgroups on the net were you can ask all sorts of cycling questions and I am sure there are plenty of bike patrol people on those boards.
Welcome back to cycling, enjoy the sun and fresh air.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If drivers weren't so homicidal around here I would start riding again. I used to ride a lot when I was younger and several (many?) pounds lighter. I used to ride at least 15 miles a day, weather permitting (no snow or lightning storms -- anything else was "good" weather).

The Brooks saddle I had on the first ten-speed I owned probably would cost about $150 - $200 alone now. I think the bike was a '64 Schwinn -- about 26 pounds or more and stiff as a board. A buddy of mine has it now. Very comfy saddle for being so simple. It took a lot of the bone jarring rattle out of long rides.

A good saddle and grips make a world of difference on any given bike as long as the weight of the bike isn't ridiculous and the bike is fitted to you properly. All things being equal, the ability to ride more comfortably for longer times and distances is greatly increased with a good saddle and comfy but secure grips. They take a lot of shock out of the ride.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I got a new question, recommendations for a radio to use on the bike.

I like to listen when I ride.

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
webley445 said:
...snip...
Also got a carrier for my 3 y.o. daughter. I like us being able to do something together outdoors instead of watching the tube, quality time. gets us out of the house.
...snip...
Planning ahead a couple of years, but you'll have to check out the Burley Piccolo or something like it:

http://www.burley.com/products/childrens-products/default6bea.html?p=Piccolo&i=3

This is *much* more enjoyable than running after my daughter as she tries to master a two-wheeler. We're planning to do some short tours this year with it. At 6, she was up to 5-6 mile rides with me last fall. She refers to it as the "fun bike", since she can pedal at her own speed (or not at all), can shift gears (still working on that concept...), and gets to go further/faster than she could on her own.

- Dwayne

jtr1962

Flashaholic
webley445 said:
Hey I got a new question, recommendations for a radio to use on the bike.

I like to listen when I ride.
As someone who has ridden 56,000 miles over the last 25 years let me give you a little advice-cycling and listening to music do not mix, especially if you ride in high-traffic areas. I find that I need to hear cars as much as see them in order to stay alive. Riding with a radio would affect me as much as covering one of my eyes. I can usually hear cars coming up on me without turning my head. This gives me an advantage in that I don't need to take my eyes off the road in front of me. Furthermore, sometimes you can tell what a car will do by the sounds it makes. If a car is coming up on me and the engine is slowing down, or I hear the brakes, then the car is usually preparing to make a right turn, often right in front of me and without signaling. This gives me time to adjust my speed so as to avoid a collision. Hearing is a sense which is indispensible for cycling. I know you may not like hearing this, but don't use a radio. It's not a good idea even for an experienced cyclist, let alone someone just getting back into cycling.

kukula

Enlightened
Ditto with me. Sage and wise advice from jtr1962. Over 10000 miles on a bicycle for me, and maybe 100000 miles on a motorcycle. Not once did i listen to music while out in the street. Biking/motorcycling as it is is already much more dangerous than driving a car. You will need to have all your senses 100% all the time. A single lapse could lead to dangerous consequences :sweat:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted it for a 2 mile closed track at a local park.
But I "hear" what you're saying (excuse the pun) about hearing. It is an advantage for me whe riding at work.

*edit*
Forgot to add that I was looking for something to probably strap on the handlebars. I wouldn't even think of headphones or earbuds. Hate it when I see others doing the same, especially in a car.

Last edited: