Military Flashlight - what's in your pack?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This goes out to military folks... What flashlight were you issued in your respected branch?

If you brought your own light, what was it?

I'm very interested in learning about military apps and stories...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
MX-99 Angle head, plastic, OD. Army, circa late 60's/early 70's, aka Viet Nam Era.

Manzerick said:
This goes out to military folks... What flashlight were you issued in your respected branch?

BBL

Enlightened
we had some kind of angle-head flashlights, but not individually. i had my lucido lightwave 2000 or whatever it is called... served me well, started this whole flashlight-thing :D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't know, it's been over 30 years since I got my DD214, the military has changed a little bit in that time; they don't even have involuntary conscription anymore :D . Might want to check with someone who is currently in an active duty status.

Manzerick said:
Who do they give the nifty DARPA lights to?

Do you folks know if special ops get a better unit?

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
yeah im pretty sure that spec ops gets better stuff i mean one of my friends thats in there gave me a 6p and an e2e cause he said they were getting better stuff now and he didnt need them anymore so im guessing that they are m series lights cause by "better stuff" thats all i can think of.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received one of those 2D angle head things but it improved to an Inova X5.

The lights I bring with me are Arc AAA with black body and red LED (low level blackout) Peak 5 red AA for more power during blackout. A Peak AA 5 LED UV for scorpions and looking for blood contamination (medical person) Peak Matterhorn AAA 3 Snow29 LED HO on a lanyard for walking around, getting dressed and worn in the showers.

Since I don't shoot people, a Peak Mediterranean 2AA LuxeonIII light with twistie "switch" is the EDC. Use lights all the time so NiMH AA cells are manditory! nFlex WX1S 170 lumen LuxeonV 8AA to 2D modded Mag is the variable output photon cannon. Remove the head for a nice, bright flood light when building things. Feed it with NiMH AA cells so no worries about finding CR123A batteries.

Once the Pacific AAA is released (tomorrow) I'll be sending one to Afghanistan so a buddy will replace the Matterhorn 3 Snow29 HO on his lanyard. I'll even be nice enough to send a 4 pack of lithium AAA cells so he can get 5 hours of regulated runtime per cell. If he needs to run it all night long, a simple swap to the 1AA body will give him almost 13 hours of regulation on a lithium AA.

He also uses the red/UV AAA heads for the Matterhorn and Mediterranean 2AA LuxeonIII light in a holster for EDC. His knife holster holds the spare heads for the Matterhorn on a lanyard. The combination works very well for him as a medical person.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX,

You paint a sobering picture of how our trivial pastime becomes a serious life saving operation under extraordinary circumstances.

These may be toys to us but they will always be tools in waiting and we should not forget what is important.

Glad there are lights made for serious and reliable use out there.

Much respect...

P.S. How do you recharge the NiMH's when 'in the field'? Or did you mean you use those at home?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not really "Military", so to speak, but our FEMA-issued lights were Bright Star 2Ds. I use C cells in my spotlight, so I wanted to duplicate the cells and I upgraded to an HL-rated BS Responder 3C..

redcar

Enlightened
Mid 1980's, US Army: The angle head 2-D flashlight, in o.d. green. It came with red, blue, and opaque filters, and white traffic cone. I had to leave that with Uncle Sammy. I don't remember it's number/designation. From what I remember it looks just like the MX-991/U, made by Fulton, that I have bought in the last couple of years.

When I really needed a bright light I carried my own Pelican Super-Peli 2-C with transparent blue body and transparent clear bezel. Sexy. I still have it. Unlike today's bulb assemblies, the bulb comes out of the reflector. So I carried a spare bulb wrapped in foam behind the reflector. It's still there. Never blew that first bulb.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the SF K2.

Redd

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm with ya. The K2 looks like it will be fun for us CPF'ers but also, based on what our finest use this coudl be the ultimate light for them...

Does anyone agree the K2 could be the best all around military light?

mgdavis

Newly Enlightened
Out on the flightline there are 3D maglite's in our toolboxes, and we can (and usually do) check out Streamlight Stingers.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nycto,
Thank you, although the lights I use one would not normally think as a "combat light" us medics don't shoot but see the end results of that action. The normal day-to-day stuff such as walking to the shower, sneaking around early in the morning and not waking your tent mates, working in the dark and those sort of things we do. When we go "outside the wire" things get dicey since large Chevy ambulances with huge red crosses on them are very noticable and convoying in one is probably the worst vehicle to be in (been there, done that) Nothing like having a large reflective crosshairs on an unarmored vehicle!

I've found that ultraviolet LED lighting rox! :thumbsup: Blood is everywere and once it gets inside equipment, failure is soon to follow. Checked the digital imaging, CT scanners and other systems with the UV as a "go/no go" light and it saved hours of troubleshooting. When seconds count, hours mean shutting down services and diverting them to another hospital. Many of the troops, civilians and insurgents don't have that kind of time so anything possible to keep operational is used. The last time I went with a $3 keychain plastic UV light, saved a ton of time and kept the digital imaging system going (clean what you have to and tear it apart later) I immediately told my wife to get a Peak Kilamanjaro 5 UV LED light and ship it quickly. It arrived a few weeks later and I could check the inside of the CT scanner for blood quickly and keep the beast running.

How to charge batteries in the field? Well, since medics work in medical areas, we have power generators to keep all that equipment running. A Tripp-Lite Isobar surge/EMI/RFI aluminum suppressor keeps the NiMH chargers happy and those batteries charged. Counted 48 battery changes with my minimag R2H 500mA Luxeon light along with 4 sets of alkalines changed in 4.5 months of use. The giant Mag mods are generally used with the head removed to see oxygen generators, power generators, construction of various things, AC units and general lighting. Yes, it throws 100 meters easily but we don't need that ability (OK, it is a lot of fun!) A portable flood light that gives hours of use while running on NiMH batteries allows 24 hour support for all critical systems.

The thing that really helped me with my deployments to Iraq (Feb-May 03 and Sept thru Jan 05) it was CPF recommended devices. Holsters, lights, batteries, chargers, battery adapters, LED technology, UV, red colors, multi-tools, modding parts, modded flashlights and advice from people in various parts of the world. The first place I went had no CR123A batteries... heck, maybe a few dozen AA batteries but that was it. I hauled in over 100 batteries and used them (had more shipped in). The second time I went with three dozen NiMH cells, 5 dozen AA cells, chargers, shortwave clock radios and a dozen flashlights.

Saw plenty of Surefires on high powered rifles and they work well. Since I don't carry a weapon (except a double-edged Gerber combat folder) have no use for Surefires. That would explain why I like Peaks twistie LED lights so much, they are multi-cofigurable, have that loc-line magnet/clamp to hold the lights in position and are durable with zero failures after months of constant use and daily showers. Fine dust, drops into water, getting run over by hummers and general abuse don't phase them. Don't have to run CR123 lithiums to get a light that won't fail. I'm about to send a Pacific AAA (with AA spare body) to Afghanistan and tell my buddy to wear around his neck on a lanyard. It should be bright enough to save batteries used in his Mediterranean 2AA.

At work I keep a suggested stuff to deploy with listing. Peak for AAA/AA flashlights (UV, red, Pacific AAA/AA and Mediterranean 2AA) loc-line magnet/clamps, countycomm for shortwave clock radios, lanyards, bags etc, Amondotech for TG2800 chargers, Titanium batteries and battery holders and other places for multi-tools, knives, Tripp-lite suppressors, knife sharpeners, holsters, lithium AAA/AA batteries etc.

The only thing I am looking for is a high powered, variable output Mag mod to make a AA NiMH powered, variable output, flood/throw light. Waiting for the BAM! mod drop-in and it should be close enough. Maybe take out the reflectors and it will give a decent flood beam and 4 hours of runtime on 6AA NiMH batteries. I'll tell them to match it with two TG2800 chargers to keep the batteries charged and balanced. (They don't get my nFlex LuxeonV 8AA Mag!)

Another thing people need is battery care and maintenance training. The charge/discharge function of the TG2800 allows for balancing and no-brainer use. Since the heat levels get fairly high in the desert, charging at lower levels is critical to the health of the batteries. I cut and paste some CPF materials to provide the training and ensure that those LED flashlights keep running through the length of their deployment. Yeah, I stole the quote "two equals one--one equals none" law of survival. :)

Now to get my butt back there after the BAM! becomes available with K2's and I have a fistfull of Pacifics. The L1P's, $1 keychain lights and old Arc AA flashlights are loners... always good to have people owe you a favor :)

Nyctophiliac said:
BentHeadTX,

You paint a sobering picture of how our trivial pastime becomes a serious life saving operation under extraordinary circumstances.

These may be toys to us but they will always be tools in waiting and we should not forget what is important.

Glad there are lights made for serious and reliable use out there.

Much respect...

P.S. How do you recharge the NiMH's when 'in the field'? Or did you mean you use those at home?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standard issue? None, but we did have to buy those angle head lights in Basic.
Some units have had various lights issued. I've had some crappy AA light issued with a built in red filter. The bezel moved in and out to change the color. Some of the infantry in my brigade got SureFires when deployed to Iraq, but I'm pretty sure that was bought with unit funds. And at the place I ended up, there were Streamlight Stinger HP's (and some 3 cell Mags, and some crappy 2 cell lights that only left the cabinet when the Stingers kept crapping out) at the gates for vehicle searching, the guard towers and QRF had rechargeable spotlights. First the 2 million ones from Galls, then when those got too worn out (they were all there before us, so no telling how long in total, or how much use/abuse) we got some Thors.

*Retired*
Brighteyez said:
MX-99 Angle head, plastic, OD. Army, circa late 60's/early 70's, aka Viet Nam Era.

We used the same thing during the first Gulf War in the Marines. There were no Maglites, Surefires, or any of the other lights to be seen during my tour there. A few folks brought along personal lights, but non-standard equipment was greatly frowned upon, and for the most part was only used during personal time to read letters and such.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to buy a 2C angle head flashlight (aka the "L torch" over here) during Basic Military Training, but was issued an olive drab Inova 24/7 when I got posted to my unit (unit funds).

In addition to that I always pack a UKE 4AA eLED, which I use more than the Inova. I used the UKE discreetly during BMT, since non-issued equipment was discouraged. Not so in units, which grant a lot more freedom to pack as one pleases within reason.

Most of the Inova's modes are useless though, and I only use the white low and high beams, and the red LEDs.

dca2

Enlightened
1st deployment in 13 years with Louisiana Nat'l Guard was for Katrina. My unit (156th Army Band) was assigned to the FEMA HQ Compound for perimeter security (24 hours) and at food distribution sites (daytime only). Later we began patrols in the once flooded neighborhoods.

We were issued the angle heads - didn't even have kryton bulbs! I had my own SF E2e and G2 which proved invaluable. Several weeks later we began patrols of the neighborhoods that had been under water. At night we were issued Garrity rechargeable spotlights. POS - they gave us from 20min - 40 min useable light before they crapped out. This was for the 7pm - 7am shift in neighborhoods that had NO light for months. In 4 months, I went through 4 bulbs and LOTS of CR123's in my E2e. I also used a Streamlight Stylus for log book. Several members of my unit bought SF G2 and a few went nuts and got the higher end SF combat lights.

Wow, had I found the forums before my deployment, I could have lit up the neighborhoods!

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
dca2 said:
1st deployment in 13 years with Louisiana Nat'l Guard was for Katrina. My unit (156th Army Band) was assigned to the FEMA HQ Compound for perimeter security (24 hours) and at food distribution sites (daytime only). Later we began patrols in the once flooded neighborhoods.

We were issued the angle heads - didn't even have kryton bulbs! I had my own SF E2e and G2 which proved invaluable. Several weeks later we began patrols of the neighborhoods that had been under water. At night we were issued Garrity rechargeable spotlights. POS - they gave us from 20min - 40 min useable light before they crapped out. This was for the 7pm - 7am shift in neighborhoods that had NO light for months. In 4 months, I went through 4 bulbs and LOTS of CR123's in my E2e. I also used a Streamlight Stylus for log book. Several members of my unit bought SF G2 and a few went nuts and got the higher end SF combat lights.

Wow, had I found the forums before my deployment, I could have lit up the neighborhoods!

That's sort of funny. At least some of the Louisiana Guard were issued SureFires for their Iraq deployment, and there were a few boxes that were still in the armories that were flooded and were written off.