The Pelican M3 (PM3) 3370 Xenon Thread

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican Products has just introduced the 9V, 3x123A big brother of the Pelican M6 (PM6). Rather than discuss the new light in various threads, let's consolidate all comments here, as we did in 2004 for the Costco 1W LED.

As of this first posting, the M3 doesn't appear on Pelican's site. But you can see it at a vendor's M3 page.

Some highlights of the Pelican M3, or, "PM3":
  • 140 lumens
  • 13 watts
  • uses a fixed lamp assembly (Pelican 3374)
  • 7.5 inches (~190mm) long
  • 11.1 ounces (~315g) plus cells
  • Draws 1.61 amps (not the 0.61A stated on the vendor's page)
  • Priced a bit below the Streamlight TL-3, its direct competition.
  • Available in black (3374B) or green (3374 OD?).
Questions we all want answered:
  • Will the 9V lamp assembly fit the PM6 body?
  • Will the 9V lamp assembly interchange with the LED module in the M3 LED?
  • How does the throw compare with that of the PM6? the Pelican M3 LED (PEL3770)? the Streamlight TL-3?
  • Can the lamp be single-clicked ON with various protected 17500 cells? Double-clicked ON? Or will it require 150S/150B/300S cells from Pila, Wolf Eyes, or Microfire?
  • Can the lamp be run from a pair of unprotected RCR123A cells?
  • Will the lamp assembly fit any other flashlight head?
  • What other lamp assemblies will fit the PM3 head?
  • Will a Surefire P-type tailcap fit the PM3 perfectly, as it will fit the PM6?
  • Is the PM3 identical to the TacStar T9? If not, how do they differ?

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, someone that owns the TL-3 needs to get one of these so they can compare it for us.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Can't answer those questions, but I'd like to say that the M3 felt much better in my hands than the M6. On the M6, I kinda have to bend my thumb to catch the switch properly (thumb joint gets in the way). On the M3, the fit is perfect. The M3's I saw at SHOT were in OD HA - nice finish.

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I'll add another question. I know there aren't many regulated incans, but I wonder if this one is? Does Pelican even make a regulated incan?

Dave

Delvance

Enlightened
I'm almost 100% Pelican don't make a regulated incan. And at that price, i very much doubt the PM3 will be regulated. I'd imagine they'd also state it if it was, as it's a pretty big feature/selling point.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTT.
I'm curious about this light, and whether it's the same reflector as the PM6, along with whether or not it has a screw-in LA of the same dimensions.
Wouldn't mind trying it as is, plus hoping there's the possibility of doing a 5w mod with a McModule...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen,
Your message is the cue I've needed to share some answers from Pelican, by way of another CPFer:

Q: Will the 9V lamp assembly fit the PM6 body?
A: Yes, it is exactly the same external design.

Q: Will the 9V lamp assembly interchange with the LED module in the M3 LED?
A: Are you referring to the current side switch M3 LED? If so, then the answer is no, they are different designs.

Q: How does the throw compare with that of the PM6? the Pelican M3 LED
(PEL3770)? the Streamlight TL-3?
A: Module design is nearly identical to the M6 so throw characteristics should be similar.

Q: Can the lamp be single-clicked ON with various protected 17500 cells? Double-clicked ON? Or will it require 150S/150B/300S cells from Pila, Wolf Eyes, or Microfire?
A: Don't know.

Q: Can the lamp be run from a pair of unprotected RCR123A cells?
A: Don't know.

Q: Will the lamp assembly fit any other flashlight head?
A: Will fit Pelican M6 heads as they are all the same.

Q: What other lamp assemblies will fit the PM3 head?
A: Couldn't tell you.

Q: Will a Surefire P-type tailcap fit the PM3 perfectly, as it will fit the PM6?
A: If it fits the Pelican M6, it will fit the M3 as the heads and tailcaps are the same with the same threads.

Q: Is the PM3 identical to the TacStar T9? If not, how do they differ?
A: Not identical. Different manufacturers and different lamp/reflector designs.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to have Doug at FLR.com test the new M3 and see how the figures come out against the TL-3. Pelican claims 140lms, but most of their lights don't produce the claimed numbers (not that they're not bright, but tend to be a bit under the claim), while the TL-3 produces about 143lms according to FLR.com and the conversion factor. For the price with HA3, it looks to be a great bargain if it can equal the TL-3's performance.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it HA3, though? I'd built that up in my mind, but looking at the pic, and considering there's no price difference between black and green, I'm not so sure.
Regardless, I just ordered a "OD Green" one from action-lights.com. They had it for $41.97+shipping, and I paid extra for 3-day which jacked it up to $54 total. Unfortunately their link for spare lamps didn't work.
I've got a TL3, so maybe I'll get some comparison beamshots up next week, and will see if it runs of 2xR123. Got a pair of protected 17500s on the way, and hopefully it will work ok with them.
I'm anxious to see if swapping out the LA with a McModule, and the reflector with a McR27 will be is simple as I hope.
btw, thanks, Paul for the informative post.

Edit: I got a email from these losers stating that their "In Stock" light won't be there for 2 weeks, and canceled my order. Highly recommend not dealing with action-lights.com. I'd like to buy something, not play stupid games

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I emailed pelicanproducts about whether they actually have the 3370 in stock, and they do not. Haven't seen it anywhere else on a google search, so I guess it will be a little while before we actually get to see this light.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just going to start a thread on this, I see our friend at OpticsHQ has them for 37 smackers for members..... At that price, I'll just HAVE to try one....

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Do you all think that possibly the lamp module from this light will fit into the Pelican M6 body and then work with two 3.7V protected CR123 batteries.

If it does, that will be one crazy throw monster in a small package.

Greg

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe all the new M1, M6, and M3 xenon lights share the same head and tailcaps now, so parts should be swappable.
Or you could just run 2x 17500 cells in the M3 body (more capacity than R123As).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT WOULDNT BE A SMART IDEA TO USE ANY INCAND ASSEMBLIES WITH DIFFERENT VOLTAGES. THE LAMP MAY BLOW IF YOU OVER OR UNDERDRIVE IT.

-David

Last edited:

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I ordered one from Opticshq and Mike called and told me that they would not be in until early May. I have one on order and can't wait to get it, it seems like a lot of light for the price. I wish I found it before buying my 9P but I think I'd buy both anyway!

maxilux

Enlightened
13 Watt ????? thats more than an Ultrastinger, woooow !!!!!
Can it be ???.
Please, please Beamshots, compare to an Ultrastinger !!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
we shall see. I was told, however, that it is more like 115 lumens, but under the Pelican reflector, that should throw A LOT!

-David

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I saw the M3's on Fry's the other day but didn't pay much attention, I will go tomorrow and get one to compare to the TL-3 that I have.

Hopefully they will have it in stock

AlexGT