U2 = HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

helios

Newly Enlightened
Okay,
I know that I've probably already incensed a few people with my post title but man am I upset over my recent purchase of a U2. I've had this light one day, yes (1) day and the tailcap clickie is now dead! How many times have I clicked it you ask? Maybe 50 times. It works as a momentary on but will not click on. On a positive note, I called SF customer service and they are mailing me a replacement. No questions asked, not even the serial number. Of course this makes me believe that this is a common and widespread problem.

Next, whats up with the lint and dust in the reflector area. I was going to open it and blow it out and then I realized that the bezel is sealed and can't (easily) be removed. Come on, this isn't a $20 light and I expect better from an American company with a reputation for excellent products.

Lastly, the plastic sleeve in the battery area. Did SF really design the light so poorly that they had to retro-fit a plastic liner to the newer models to keep the batteries from rattling? Or, did they put it there to interfere with the use of 18650's and Pila168's? The only quality I found with this light was the glue they used to secure that sleeve into the body. Took me three hours to remove it.

Okay, I'm done ranting and please don't tell me to return it or give it to you. Thats not the answer to SF's quality problems or to my needs either.

Just wanted to share my wonderful U2 experience. I hope a SF rep actually reads these posts and that they are working on fixing the many problems I have seen posted here. By comparison, I absolutely love my ARC AAA-P and Orbs. Now those are built with quality in mind and it shows the builder has a true passion for lights and isn't just into making a buck.

May your SF experiences be better than mine.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
U2 tailcap and clip :xyxgun:

I assume not many people use 18650 in their U2's (only a small percentage of CPF members do, let alone the average joe who still worships Mag-Lites) so the battery rattle was an issue. The plastic sleeve stopped the battery rattle but on the flip side prevented the use of a 18650/Pila 168A cell.

If you object to such a light, exchange it for a new one from where you bought it from.

I don't think it is bad design but manufacturing hasn't quite met the demand of the light yet at past quality control levels. I find it a lose lose situation. Build faster to meet demand and lose a slight edge in quality, or slow down building and have everyone jumping on your back about product availability.

I am not going to comment on the long term usage of my Arc AAA :dedhorse:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clickie switches of death :(
I also find it bizarre that something as advanced as the U2 magnetic output adjustment ring can be taken out by a simple switch! Maybe Mag should build tailswitches for Surefire (and others) to eliminate the problem.

My first multiple output light was a modded 2D LuxeonV nFlex Mag and the momentary switch has been cycled hundreds of times with nary a glitch. :) After the Arc4 tailswitch problems, Kroll switch problems, loose Fenix switch problems (fixed) and other various switches failing... I went with the Fire~Fly III since it can be controlled with a twistie.

Sorry to hear about your U2 switch problems, maybe one day Surefire will come out with a serious switch that is designed to be beat up and bounce back.

helios

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, think this one will go on Ebay once the clickie gets fixed and then I'll get a Gladius. I've seen they have problems too and I hate that I can't use rechargables. I'm a cop and I use my duty lights every night for high risk situations. I can't use a light that I have no faith in since my life may hang in the balance. Maybe I'll get luckier with a Gladius!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
helios said:
Okay,
I know that I've probably already incensed a few people with my post title but man am I upset over my recent purchase of a U2. I've had this light one day, yes (1) day and the tailcap clickie is now dead! How many times have I clicked it you ask? Maybe 50 times. It works as a momentary on but will not click on. On a positive note, I called SF customer service and they are mailing me a replacement. No questions asked, not even the serial number. Of course this makes me believe that this is a common and widespread problem.

Next, whats up with the lint and dust in the reflector area. I was going to open it and blow it out and then I realized that the bezel is sealed and can't (easily) be removed. Come on, this isn't a $20 light and I expect better from an American company with a reputation for excellent products.

Lastly, the plastic sleeve in the battery area. Did SF really design the light so poorly that they had to retro-fit a plastic liner to the newer models to keep the batteries from rattling? Or, did they put it there to interfere with the use of 18650's and Pila168's? The only quality I found with this light was the glue they used to secure that sleeve into the body. Took me three hours to remove it.

Okay, I'm done ranting and please don't tell me to return it or give it to you. Thats not the answer to SF's quality problems or to my needs either.

Just wanted to share my wonderful U2 experience. I hope a SF rep actually reads these posts and that they are working on fixing the many problems I have seen posted here. By comparison, I absolutely love my ARC AAA-P and Orbs. Now those are built with quality in mind and it shows the builder has a true passion for lights and isn't just into making a buck.

May your SF experiences be better than mine.

I think you have very valid reasons to be pissed about your $200+ purchase. I've experienced every issue you mentioned, on more than one light. It really sucks. The the U2 is the most inconsistant light SF has every released in my opinion. What sucks is once you do get a U2 that's not messed-up, it really is a nice light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I beat you to it. My clicky tailcap did not work right off the box. :( It was pretty easy to fix though. Nevertheless, the light developed some serious strobing so I sent it back to SF for repair - they're also supposed to deal with the lint inside the reflector (yes, lint, longer than 1" - it doesn't affect beam quality of functioning, but since I was sending it back I asked them to clean it out for me).

If you're a LEO, an L5 may be a better light for you. The Gladius is a great light also, but is not problem free either.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand what you're saying and in my opinion, for such an expensive light, this level of quality control and/or design is simply inexcusable. I had the same problems as you and the only saving grace was Surefire's "no hassle/no questions asked" warranty. It took me a while to get my U2 to be in its final perfect form. Once you get to that stage, it's almost worth going through all the trouble.

However, your situation is different than mine because you use your lights in the line of duty and must rely on it for life-saving and safety reasons. In this situation, I would highly NOT RECOMMEND the U2 purely due to the reliability issues. It only takes one failure to potentially cost you your life (or other lives). The relatively high frequency of failure of the U2 makes this a bad choice for you or any other police officer, paramedic, military, rescue, etc.etc.etc.

And that's unfortunate, because if SF can perfect the QC issues on this light, the U2 would be the ultimate light to have.

WP

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Life safety applications dictate double or triple redundancy for critical equipment.

A flashlight can be taken out of service for problems unrelated to its quality or reliability. It can be dropped or lost. It can have bad batteries. It can be rendered temporarily inoperable by contamination or similar (caustic material, biohazard, a quarter stuck in the bezel).

As a voluteer firefighter/EMT I carry two lights to calls. I even take two lights to job site inspections for work. There are times when not being able to see is a real hazard.

Anyway, a Gladius is probably a better light than a U2 for law enforcement work. I'm not a LEO, but I sure like mine for general use. I consider it to be one of the most reliable lights available.

Scott