Anyone used amber or red LED in the fog?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rule of thumb in CPF is when it is foggy get out the incan. and leave the LED in the house.
A monochromatic long wavelenght light should penetrate fog better than full spectrum incans. which still has some short wavelength light to reflect back.
Has anyone tried using amber or red LED flashlights in the fog?

farmall

Enlightened
I have a luxIII R/O in a 2c mag that does really well in fog. It looks cool too.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
farmall said:
I have a luxIII R/O in a 2c mag that does really well in fog. It looks cool too.

Ooooo, who sells that kind of LED if I might ask?

Last edited:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an amber LuxIII in a 2-C Mag modded by 3rd_Shift, and a red-orange LuxIII Aleph 3 built by McGizmo.

They both work really well (a lot better than incan), but the amber works better than the R/O.

I think the reason these lights work so well is backscatter. Longer wavelengths (toward red) tend not to have less backscatter. Some of this is due to physicsa nd some is due to the way the human eye works.

I can go out in the fog and light something up with a white light, but the fog in between me and the target is lit up as well. When I switch to the R/O Aleph, very little of the fog is lit up, but the target is nicely illuminated.

The catch with red is that your eyes are not very sensitive to it, so they act quirky when you are trying to see with red light. You can't see red light at low intensity as well as you can other colors. So, when you illuminate something in the distance with a red light, is seems very faint compared to colors like green or blue.

Red penetrates fog better than the other colors, but you can't see it as well.

Amber seems to be the optimal color to use. It has a reduced backscatter compared to white, but your eyes are much more sensitive to it than red. I have gotten my best results from amber.

Scott

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried a bright direct drive R/O Lux III but I didn't have an incand to compare it with at the time... It was better than the other Lux light I had at the time, but it wasn't really impressive or anything. Of course, it was so frickin' bright that that probably didn't help.

I remember when 3rd Shift posted the amber modded Q3. I think he billed it as not attracting bugs, but the first thing I thought about was using it in the rain and/or in the fog.