Protected 123 questions

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound has 750Ma protected cells and charger kits.
Has anyone tried these with a Surefire P90 lamp?

Hoping it will light with a single click.

maybe a PILA 9v lamp?

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
No, the SureFire P90's current requirements exceed that of any RCR123a batterys' protection circuits at this time. It has been reported that the SF P90 will light with one click when powered by a pair of protected 17500 batteries. Some have reported success using the P90 with Wolf-Eyes, MicroFire and Pila protected Li-ion's.

For more information on which rechargeable batteries will and won't work with a P90 lamp, consult The Rechargeable Battery Compatibility Chart on CPF's Wiki Pages (CPW).

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lit a P90 using PILA cells in a 9v body.
I want to run a P90 on protected cells in a 6v body.

Will a PILA/Wolf Eyes/G&P lamp work properly

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
Understood.

Again, according to CPF'ers experiences as documented in The Rechargeable Battery Compatibility Chart two (2) protected 123-series rechargeables in a 6V flashlight body will not light a P90's lamp with one click. Two Pila's in a 9V body will work however.

After a quick scan of the compability table, your best bet for running a 9V lamp assembly in a 9V (2x123) flashlight body is to use a DigiLight 9V DRB-9VHP lamp assembly powered by two (2) protected RCR123a batteries. Alternatively, you could try either a Wolf-Eyes 3.7V D26/D36 lamp assembly powered by a single Wolf-Eyes 168 or Pila 600 battery. Check the table for specific battery/lamp combinations reported to work.

As always, YMMV. Good luck!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood
I currently run a PILA 3.7v with a PILA cell in a Surefire G2.
I wanted more lumens using a 9v lamp to get over 100 lumen output in my G2Z.

Wolf Eyes has a D26 9v claimed to be about 200 lumens. That's my goal.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
CPF member pbs357 has documented success powering a "new" Wolf-Eyes D26 9V lamp assembly with two (2) LightHound-sourced RCR123a protected 3.7V batteries. I personally run a DigiLight DRB-9VHP 9V lamp assembly (175 lumens claimed by the manufacturer) with two (2) LightHound RCR123a protected batteries.

Other CPF members have reported that their DRB-9VHP 9V lamps require two or more clicks to light when driven by a pair of protected RCR123a's. Hence my disclaimer of YMMV "Your Mileage May Vary". Finding a high output 9V lamp assembly that reliably runs on a pair of protected RCR123a Li-ion rechargeable batteries appears to be something of a crap-shoot.

For example, I own a G&P G90 9V lamp that will light up instantly when powered by two 17XXX-series protected batteries or two LIR123a unprotected batteries but requires two clicks to light with a pair of protected RCR123a's. My DigiLight DRB-9VHP lights instantly when driven by two (2) LightHound RCR123a protected batteries. It's possible that my DigiLight DRB-9VHP lamp either draws less current at start-up than most or my LightHound protected RCR123a batteries protection circuits can supply more current than other similar batteries. In any case, my personal experience with the DigiLight 9V lamp does not appear to be typical.

The Wolf-Eyes D26 appears to be one of the better bets for your application according to
The Rechargeable Battery Compatibility Chart.