PR base LED

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I need a PR base LED bulb with a lot of sidespill. Its going in a lantern I found with 4 AA batteries. It doesn't have to be really bright, the longer run time is more desirable.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the PR based SMJLEDs are excellent. I also have some from Sino Union that I really like. Mine were from a group buy from a forum member. Those on Doug's/Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com didn't look so hot but mine are MUCH better. Should run about twice as long as the SMJLEDs as they pull about half the current.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened
The SMJLED can only be used at 3v. So, if that's a 6 v lantern (4 cells in series) you're out of luck.

buba

Newly Enlightened
The TerraLUX TLE-20 is suppose to work on 2-4 cells but it runs about $18 plus shipping. Kind of defeats the purpose of using an inexpensive latern.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
You can probably use Lambda's 3.0v PR based SMJLed if you can rewire the battery compartment to dual-parallel vs. the current series. Just guessing here, since I've not tried it, maybe somebody else can comment on feasibility?

I think there is a Dorcy 4xAA flashlight out there that has a PR based led. I've got one set up in a $0.99 plastic 4AA lantern...runs about 3 days on NiMH. Output is far from impressive, but it works.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get creative and wire two PR SMJLED bulbs in series. You'd get twice the brightness because you are using two bulbs. The combined bulbs would run on 6 volts.

I think that would work, wouldn't it? :thinking:

Last edited:

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
TrueBlue said:
You could get creative and wire two PR SMJLED bulbs in series. You'd get twice the brightness because you are using two bulbs. The combined bulbs would run on 6 volts.

I think that would work, wouldn't it? :thinking:
Can't answer that with certainty, since I'm no engineer. I'm guessing this would be a more involved mod than the one I suggested. These cheap lanterns are relatively easy to rewire, if they are anything like the ones I've seen.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several of the Sino Union 4 cell led PR bulbs that I use in Dorcy 'focusing' lanterns (4AA, slider on the side to position the bulb in or above the reflector) and am very pleased with the light output and runtime. The 'beam' pattern is very ringy, but they will light up a normal sized room nicely.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHECK THE POLARITY OF THE LANTERN BEFORE BUYING BULB!!!

Many lanterns are wired backwards and will not work with standard PR LED bulbs. I ended throwing out 2 different lanterns (not handy/no soldering skills). A third 3V unit I got around by using a BA-1 PR to bi-pin adapter and a MJLED. I just flip the MJLED in the bi-pin socket to match the polarity of the lantern.

If your lantern has forward polarity (+ve of battery wired to bulb base) I've used PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb from superbrightleds. Has a 0.5 watt 10mm LED so is fairly bright. I sanded the outside of the LED casing to make light go in all directions. Note the bulb is 1-5 volts so I use only NiMH batteries (4.8 volts total). I've gone through over 10 battery recharges so I think it is safe.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LIGHTS
I've also used the Tectite LPR-113. The side emitter is perfect for lanterns. But it is too bright if the outside tube of the lantern is not matte and I look at it.
http://www.led-replacement.com/lpr-113.html
I've also borrowed the bulb from the Turtlelight/Dorcy Solid State but it is dim by today's standards.
http://www.dorcy.com/images/Dorcy Images/LED/41-2498.jpg

If your lantern has reverse polarity (-ve of battery wired to bulb base) Your choices are the Everled Diamond ($40) or Terralux TLE-20 ($18).
http://www.ledsupply.com/diamond-everled.html
http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-20.html

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the PR2-W1-WVR bulb works well in Maglights, I had two of them in D-cell Mags until I replaced one with the brighter Craftsman 1W PR from their 3AAA light. It is a little blue and works just about as well in a 2D as a 3D. I still have one in the 2D (see my Sig line). The light output is not great and will not give you a tightly focused spot like the stock Krypton, but it a nice flood, plenty to walk around a campsite or dark garage, and will last forever on D-cell batteries.

They are just available again from superbrightleds.com recently (they were not for a while) for $5. Do NOT bother with the cheaper 20mA bulbs, they are very dim. Only the 200mA PR2-W1-WVR is worth it. I put one in the Craftsman 3AAA I took the 1W PR out of and it works well in that too. It's low current draw works well with the AAA's.

Shirley said:
Will those SuperBrightLED replacements work in Mag Lites?

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.

I also got a red LED (PR2-R2-4.5V RED LED FlashLight bulb)
from them, besides the variable input bulb you mention. I figure, for the price, I don't have much to lose! Wonder if it'll work in a 2-cell...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shirley said:
Thanks for the reply.
Welcome

Shirley said:
from them, besides the variable input bulb you mention. I figure, for the price, I don't have much to lose! Wonder if it'll work in a 2-cell...

It'll just be underdriven at 3V, so it will be less bright than in a 3D pushing 4.5V, but to what extent may be noticeable, or may not...
Give it a try and tell us! Everybody here becomes a tester at some point.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shirley said:
LEDninja,

Will those SuperBrightLED replacements work in Mag Lites?
Yes.
2 and 3 cell C/D
Very floody.

OK in 2 AA flashlights with small reflectors.
They do not work well in fixed focus lights with BIG reflectors. Donut hole. I sanded the sides NOT THE TOP of the LED and the donut is much reduced.

Shirley said:
I just tried mine in a 2AA Gelbrite. Too dim to be useful.

Last edited:

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
SuperbrightLEDs 1.5-4.9V works great in a 2 Cell Mag Lite. Brighter, whiter, perhaps a little less throw, but lots more spill.

Red LED from same source works great as a "tactical camp light" in Dorcy 4.8V 4AA area light. Too dim to be any good from 2 cell.