Question about my L4 Lumamax.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an L4 Lumamax today. It is EXTREMELY bright and white with almost no donut. I think I won the lottery big time. I know Surefire is conservative with their lumen ratings, but does anyone know how many lumens the L4 REALLY puts out? It beats my 6P on overall light output big time. A bit less throw than the 6P, which is to be expected. Just curious. I LOVE this light!!!!!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
socom1970, did you buy a new L4 from Surefire? If from a dealer, was it a one of the newer made L4's. I am just wondering if Surefire is using better bin Lux V's, maybe in the W and X range? Light would surely be brighter and higher overall light output might fill in the donut better than a lower lumen L4 (KL4).

Bill

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 was one of two that had just come in as part of a new shipment from a place here called Scheels Sports. The other one I rejected because it was not as bright, bluish in colour, and had a donut.

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 must be putting out 100+ lumens. I tested it against my 9P, both with fresh batteries. My L4 looks like the same output as my my 9P, maybe even a little brighter than the 9P.:rock:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would like to see some bounce test comparisons using a lightmeter, with newer, L4 (KL4) and L2, or newer KL4 and older KL4. My KL4 is an older model, but has minimal donut, and is very bright, but I would not call it 100 lumens, maybe 85-90 lumens.

Bill

dmz

Enlightened
What has changed on the L4 since its debut? The body of the L4 has changed a little. Anything else change?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I was thinking that, over time, the quality of leds improve, and SF may be using higher flux leds in their lights.

Bill

carrot

Flashaholic
It's speculated that Surefire is now using better-binned Luxeons... but it could be that Surefire just updated the spec sheet to say 100 lumens instead of 60. That's all I know as far as revisions go.

roguesw

Enlightened
socom1970
unfortunately, there are not physical distinguishing marks between better binned luxeons, its just how bright it is. The L4/KL4 head is still being driven at the same mAh, the only thing that has changed are probably better binning of luxeons and probably the increase in quality of luxeons, e.g less variations in tints resulting from better production or QC processes from Lumileds.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
PK said, at the SHOT Show, that they (Surefire) are now better able to measure the lumen output of leds. He did not elaborate on that.

Bill