Arc AAA-p v5 STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Senior Gransee,

I'm sure you are sick of hearing requests but I am wondering what the odds are of a Arc AAA v5 Special Titanium version?

I mean, does Arc really think so little of the AAA design to think it not dignified enough for immortalization in a titanium format?

The actual design of the Arc needn't change a bit, just load those instructions on a machine that can cut ti and crank out five hundred or so. Easy as pie. If I were'nt so busy holding down this chair , I'd do it for ya.

If you really wanted to makem special then go the extra steps for some anodized marking or engraving.

Just give me a 24hour heads up (just me, no one else:whistle:) before posting them for sale.

Well, I wasn't gonna even suggest this , but, if you make it, and its good, and it's affordable (<65.00), well uhh, I'll go to church every sunday for at least a month:sweat:.....

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it would be a v5 and not v4(current) does that mean we'll have to wait for next year until Nichia puts the new 80lm/watt chips into 5mm format? :D

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give the man some breathing room ;)

Im sure we will see many many nice products to come.

Oh...
Did i mention i want one too :aaa:

Benny

icecube

Newly Enlightened
I gotta ask, why Ti?

I don't get the point.

GopherbesidesyoudnothavethehardfinishGopher

colubrid

Enlightened
icecube said:
I gotta ask, why Ti?

I don't get the point.

The ti fdlashlights are very popular right now. Look at McGizmo forum and the McLux.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid said:
The ti fdlashlights are very popular right now. Look at McGizmo forum and the McLux.

IMHO, the Arc AAA puts out a near perfect amount of light for a good long time, it's simple and easy to feed. Titanium, especially with some anodized lettering would make a phenomenally useful tool, just that much more special. It's also unlikely that any company will mass produce a ti AAA so titanium adds that extra something that dime a dozen ha3'd aluminum lights just don't have anymore (even brass totally mundane now).

Also, I think that a Ti Arc AAA is likely the only ti light that could be bought at a price that would keep it in my pocket and not on a shelf.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi, church for just a month? :)

You should know I just love titanium. Our wedding rings were made from the same bar of 6V4. It's not a panicea for everything though. Sometimes the best reason for using it is cosmetic and that doesn't fly very far with me. It has to provide an increase in utility in keeping with the trouble it took to get it.

Using titanium in the Arc-AAA would cost way more than $65 and it would likely require a design change to the battery pack (to elimenate the boring operation). The surface would not be as hard as HA but the base strength would be higher. Most Arc-AAAs just don't get that abused though. The housing would be noticably lighter. None of these are compelling enough to tell you the truth. I would rather spend the engineering cycles on the other projects.

I would like to make some just for fun sometime. I think it would be neat to have at least a couple made. I can tell you I do plan on doing more with ti in the future. Our proficiency with it will increase which will make projects like this more trivial.

Peter

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Remember when Titanium was just found in space craft and fighter planes?

The funny thing about it is that Ti is one of the most plentiful elements on the planet. Working with it.....that's rare.

.....it's not as hard as anodized aluminum.....but stronger.......hmmmm.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
mridude said:
Remember when Titanium was just found in space craft and fighter planes?

The funny thing about it is that Ti is one of the most plentiful elements on the planet. Working with it.....that's rare.

.....it's not as hard as anodized aluminum.....but stronger.......hmmmm.

And there are two (ok, three) reasons you find it everywhere today:
  • with the fall of the evil empire, demand dropped dramatically
  • production efficiencies have improved, also increasing supply
which results in
  • marketing equates "Titanium" with "High Tech"
I'd rather see a limited run anodized in blue - a saphire coated flashlight. Or maybe a powder metal coating?

paulr

Flashaholic
Titanium doesn't conduct heat well, which makes titanium lights feel nice in your hand, almost like holding a wooden flashlight. Doesn't have that cold feeling of aluminum. Of course that's not so nice for powerful lights that rely on heat disspation to cool the led. For tiny lights like the Arc AAA, I think it doesn't matter much either, because the light has such low mass that it doesn't suck that much heat out of your hand.

I've been wanting a titanium wristwatch for a while. I keep stripping the stupid strap pin holes out of plastic watches, and I don't like the cold feeling of steel watches.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
icecube said:
I gotta ask, why Ti?

I don't get the point.

Let's hear it for Nickel Silver!
Easier to machine, cheaper, acquires a lovely patina, kinder to skin (once, a friend took me round the plant where they machined titanium parts for Concorde. I was about to put my hand into a skip (dumpster) full of shavings. He said in no uncertain terms that if I did I could say goodbye to my fingers).
So, I assume a diamond crosshatch would be very rough if done in titanium.
As a new Arc AAA owner and fan, I say: Bring it on!

cy

Flashaholic
Peter, totally disagree that ti has no functional purpose. for hostile environments that would destroy hard anodizing, ti comes in pretty handy.

bottom pin would revert back to original design or some type of oval bump to make contact and be easier to machine.

while we are brainstorming :D let's add a two stage switch and circuits to support a Cree XRE.

Miller Mods has a design for ARC AAA that's sooooo sweet! User interface could not be simpler. twist on for low, twist another 1/4 rev for high. output using 1x AAA alk or NMH is simply amazing!

beam pattern for cree w/no optics is outstanding! Don's mule testifies to that.

folks would line up to buy a two stage ti ARC AAA XRE...

arc aaa cree.JPG

Last edited:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Yes, I would definitely buy a titanium Arc AAA. As for some new pie in the sky projects that have yet to see production and are even questionable as to whether or not they actually will, I'm not interested in.
But, titanium Arc AAA- yes.

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
I've been loving my Peak Ti Mach-1 3Led for quite a while now. Arc seems paralyzed, I am sorry to say....and don't know what else to say. An honest Arc to Peak convert, I just cannot believe it's taking so long to introduce something more than a single 5mm. OR a 5mm of a different flavor. Peak already had their homework done when they started, I guess. 5mm's still have a place in the market, IMHO.

-Warhead

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
folks would line up to buy a two stage ti ARC AAA XRE...

+1
Indeed.
Wouldn't be cheap, but would be in high demand.

At least I seem to have alot of company while standing out in the cold waiting. I just wonder how long we're going to choose to stay in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.