Arc Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

This is a general discussion thread for Arc Flashlights (both the Arc-AAA and Arc-LS), future products or any other question you would like to post to Arc Flashlight, our distributors, the reviewers, etc.

Welcome!

Peter Gransee

Legal Disclaimer: We get many suggestions for new flashlight inventions via email, etc. If you want to keep your idea secret or make money from it, do not send it to us or post it here in the forums! All messages posted here and emailed to us are public domain. If you do not agree, please do not post here.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, I hope this thread stays Arc related. I was wondering why the yellow led Arc-AAA doesn't seem as popular or at least talked about amoung colors. Seems to me that it may be best under one way of thinking. Better color rendition than turquoise and brighter than white. Any opinions out there.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As requested, here is how the Arc-AAA looks in Type III hard anodize finish.

AAAtypeIII.jpg

The colors in the picture are (from left to right) gray, black and natural.

Anodize is the tough finish applied to the aluminum to harden it against corrosion, scratches, etc and comes in several hardness ratings. Type II is commonly used on most flashlights and is also used on our Arc-AAA. Type III is used on the Arc-LS. Type III is much harder (and more expensive) than Type II.

We are tossing around the idea of producing a special edition Arc-AAA (XL). It would have the following:

- "Natural" type III finish
- Nichia S-rank brightness, B1 rank color (brightest Nichia whites, yellow/green tint- less bluish)
- All the latest improvements and revisions of the regular Arc-AAA
- Laser inscribed "special edition"
- $34.95 list

I guarantee if we do a run of these, they will be limited. I have no idea how long the special rank of LED used in this flashlight will be available.

Peter Gransee

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Hey Peter,

Thanks for the pic. The "natural" looks the best (IMHO).

You mentioned in another thread, that you had some ideas for making the AAA brighter. Is the use of the "S" rank LED one of those ideas? And, how much brighter is the "S" rank LED? (Or is it just "less blue")

I want to buy 2 HA III AAAs in natural, but I'd like to wait until they are of the "brighter" technology. Is this it? Or, do you have something brighter up your sleeve.

Thanks,
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>We are tossing around the idea of producing a special edition Arc-AAA (XL). It would have the following:

- "Natural" type III finish
- Nichia S-rank brightness, B1 rank color (brightest Nichia whites, yellow/green tint- less bluish)
- All the latest improvements and revisions of the regular Arc-AAA
- Laser inscribed "special edition"
- $34.95 list
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I know I said early on that I couldn't see spending more than about $20 on a flashlight, but Peter, I think you may just have me on this one! I like the XL exactly as described! The natural Type III HA is the clincher - won't wear out banging against my keys. If you move forward with this, I'll have to get one!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Peter,

How much brighter is the Nichia S-rank compared to the regular ARC-AAA? Say if regular's brightness is 10, Nichia S-rank=???

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S-rank typically have an extra 1-3 candelas of output.

Where you will notice the biggest difference is in the tint of the beam. It is less bluish.

Peter

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Bruce up there- "natural" looks best to me too, and I`d love to see the LS in that finish as standard.

I guess due to the limited run, we reviewers will have to buy our own Arc-AAA XL? Well if so, I`ll definately buy one- looks really good, I definately prefer less-blue-tinted LEDs, and it will be nice to see how well the hard anodising holds up to the abuse that being carried on my enormous keychain offers. My "regular" AAA is already looking a little worn.

shocked.gif

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I like the "natural" color the best also.

Hey guys, can you turn these Arc AAA lights on with one hand, or is trying to do that a pain? I'm tempted to get one, but I really don't like twist on/off lights.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
My version 2.1 Arc AAA (the one that you'd get Now), has a perfect feel to it, with just a touch of pure silicone grease on the o-ring, so the light activates Easily with one hand, and yet will not turn on accidentally in your pocket. IMO-a very mature product.

Mr. Gransee: I thought you tried those "S" rank Nichias before, (mentioned on earlier thread), and couldn't see that much improvement?
confused.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTS:
Would anyone be interested in a group buy on the special edition at $25.99 with Shipping by US Mail at $4.40<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be.
-Especially, if they could be hand selected for maximum brightness!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Peter: How can I make a booking to buy the limited edition Arc-AAA?
grin.gif

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

Any chance of getting the special edition with a higher output Turquoise LED, or is this a white only offering? (I don't know if there is an equivalent to the S-rank in other colors besides white.)

Thanks, Mike

protodoc

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTS:
Would anyone be interested in a group buy on the special edition at $25.99 with Shipping by US Mail at $4.40<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TTS:
I would love to be in on this deal. How do I order?

protodoc

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yep sounds good on a group order, but is this only in USA. What's the deal with shipping to Australia?

I hope the Arcs will be imported soon!
Sometime...?

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
If you are interested just send me an email with contact information so I can get an idea of how many to order and who wants them.
[email protected]

Edit: I turned your email address into an active link, DavidW

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this is almost sounding to good to be true. I like all the finish choices, so I`ll just go with the crowd. As for the "s" ranked...brighter better. And I prefer less blue also. This should be the best key chain light available hands down (well they were already the best...but better). My wallet says no but but don`t think I`ll listen to it this time.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted an Arc-LS update to the Arc-LS thread...

We will activate the web site to start taking Arc-AAA w/type III HA orders the first of next week.

The product will be sold in white LED and natural finish only. List price will be $34.95 although you should be able to find it for less from your favorite distributor.

This is a limited run as we do not plan on carrying this product indefinately (it all depends on how long the special rank of LEDs are available). The s-ranks have not been available for some time and now all of a sudden Nichia has a few of them in stock. We wasted no time in ordering a bunch.
smile.gif

We do not plan on selling the LED seperately or offering the product in any other colors at this time (hey, I got to have some time left to keep the Arc-LS on schedule!).

Peter Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.