A2 old and new

Dunc5

Newly Enlightened
I have just bought a SF A2 and im really happy with it but i would like a bit of background info on it and i know you are the guys to ask . I think mine is the older model with the four flat sides , when did they bring out the new model and are the LEDs and lamp any different ? could someone please post a pic of the two so i can see the difference , and lastly mine has a long pocket clip and i have seen pics of ones with short clips again when did the change take place ?

many thanks

Duncan

Protaeus

Enlightened
The old version (which I prefer) looks like it has 4 flat faces with rounded edges. The shape of the body is almost like rectangular prism. The new body type is perfectly rounded and cylindrical in shape. The new surefire site actually shows both bodies. The top pic with the A2 and the different LED colours is the old body and the pic with the A2 in the hand is the new body.

I think the new body came in around 2003, but Im not too sure, especially since some stores still stocked the old body for a while. The lamp and LEDs are exactly the same, although the new model does come with a very slightly crenulated bezel so that you can see if its on.

Hope that helps.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Protaeus said, TMK all the A2 internals are the same no matter which version you buy. I prefer the older 4 sided model as well. :)

a2_064.jpg

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see any new bodies until sometime last year, but I am out here in the sticks, maybe higher volume stores had them sooner.

Bill

carrot

Flashaholic
That looks like OregonShooter's A2 tailcap ring.

As for the pocketclip, the original A2 came with a short one; all those after that came with a long clip.