how to clean, reflector or optics.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to clean reflectors and optics, usually to remove an fingerprint or a piece of dirt that originaly came with it.

but everytime I try, I usually make thing 10 times worse.

the dust in the air gets in, even the slightest pressure from a clean cloth seems to leave scraches or marks or dust.

is their anything i can do, or do i need a "CLEAN ROOM" and special equipment.

thankyou.

Timson

Enlightened
I've found that a fingerprint can be removed from a reflector if you very gently wipe it with a cotton wool ball whilst under water that is treated with a bit of washing up liquid. (Don't use dry cotton wool).

Rinse the reflector with clean water and blow dry....Ideally with compressed air canister - used for blowing dust from computer components.

Tim.

roguesw

Enlightened
hi tinderbox, its almost impossible to clean reflectors such as the surefires or the mcrxx or the pelican reflectors, because the coatings are so fragile,
just wiping the reflector will leave streaks because cloth has particles that are abrasive and these reflectors marr really easily
i would have to say, if the problem is minor, you might ignoore it
however, if the problem is a big finger mark , try dipping the whole reflector or optic into distilled water and use an air compressor to blow away any water rather than wiping it.
i have never had any luck removing any marks from reflectors(when building lights, i dont touch the reflectors, keeping any type of handling to a minimum), but i have tried this method with my reflectors (nx optics)
hope you have some luck cleaning it
cheers
Des

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I've never cleaned any reflectors with anything other than compressed air. I have had great luck cleaning coated glass lenses with mildly soapy water and a warm rinse. Do not wipe with a paper towel as they leave as much lint as they pick up.

Cliff

greenLED

Flashaholic
Reflectors: soapy warm water, just swirl, rinse and then blow dry.
Optics: same treatment for cleaning. Also, you can remove scratches by re-polishing them with Flitz polishing compound and an optics-grade microfiber cloth. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't use alcohol on optics! Alcohol somehow weakens the acrylic and the optic will develop cracks. At least, that's what I remember reading a long time ago.