Nite-Ize Mag upgrade bulb: Another Impression

pizzaman

Enlightened
First Impressions: New Nite-Ize Mag-Lite LED replacement bulb.

I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this new LED bulb. Nite-Ize was the first company to introduce to the general public a superb LED upgrade for the ubiquitous Mini-Mag flashlight. Sure there are other killer options for the internet savvy flashaholics, but for "Joe six pack" and "Jane soccer mom" cruising the isles of Wally World and Target, it was a breakthrough product. Now, Nite-Ize has introduced a LED upgrade bulb marketed as a replacement for stock incandescent bulbs in 2-6 cell mag-lites. This has got to have some merit. Right?

It seems the first batch is out in Target stores for our appraisal. After a quick check of the CandlePowerForum (CPF) for reviews, things looked bad. http://www.candlepowerforums.com

This poor bulb was getting slapped around like a stripper at a Duke Lacrosse kegger party. Ouch! CPF is mostly inhabited by "Throwies" (if it can't light up the side of a barn at 3 miles, it ain't no good) and "Hotties" (output rules. If you can't cook your kielbasa on the lens, you're not overdriving the bulb enough).

It couldn't suck that bad. Could it? I will admit to being more of a "Floodie" (preferring a broad smooth beam for use in my work/utility lights) and a "Runnie" (long runtimes and battery conservation are appreciated). Having the curiosity of a cat, yet lacking the additional lives, I cruised on down to Target to see if this blister packed turd was in stock. Yup, on a peg next to the other PR bulbs. I was a bit disappointed that the sweet Dorcy 3D 1W LED for $6 closeout price was not in stock, but the chance to play with this new bulb was some meager consolation.

My first test was in my favorite military 2D angle head flashlights. These things are not throw monsters, nor will they dazzle with output in stock form. They are simple, rugged, and versatile. The down side is the sick yellow output after the batteries settle in. The runtime is equally unimpressive. I popped in the Nite-Ize (NI) and powered it up. White. Very white compared to it's still incandescent brother sitting nearby. Both lights have beam diffusers on the inside of the lens (a bit of contact brand, clear contact paper does the job without fuss, expense, or nasty adhesive residue). The incandescent has a smooth moderately broad hot spot with smooth broad spill. The NI was all flood. Some have commented about a "donut" hot spot with this bulb in flashlights with non-adjustable reflectors. I removed the diffused lens and tried the bulb again. Only the slightest hint of a brighter ring around the center. This sucker in the angle head is 95% flood. I really didn't need a diffuser.

The output is somewhat less that even I was hoping for. I'm not sure it is enough for an everyday utility/work light. The white color was impressive however. I will say now, that their introduction of this bulb as generic replacement to a Mag-lite incandescent bulb grossly missed the mark. If you want to have most or all of the capabilities of your current Mag-lite, with the benefits of longer runtime and rugged bulb, this baby only covers 2 out of three. The output just isn't there. Don't buy this to put in your mag for your customary use. This bulb cannot compete here. Be patient and see what kind of LED bulb Mag-lite introduces this year.

I think this bulb should be re-categorized and compared with its true competition. This bulb may be a dream come true for "preparedness" buffs and emergency use. It's beauty:

$10, standard PR base, runs in lights from 2-6 cells, long runtime, long lifespan, far more rugged than any incandescent bulb, and available at your local store. A logical host is one of my beloved Dorcy 4AA or 4D, dome lens lanterns. These lanterns are dirt cheap, fairly durable, versatile (can be used as a lantern or a quasi-flashlight), and available everywhere. I prefer to use these in lantern mode and am generally hostile towards beam artifacts in all their apparitions, so I sputtered the lenses of these lanterns inside and out. It is a noticeable improvement over the stock lens for lantern purposes. I plopped in the NI LED replacement bulb and fired up the lantern. Again, nice and white, with modest output. The beam is all flood, with less horizontal output than the incandescent bulb. For me, this may be a near ideal bulb for emergency or survival purposes where long runtime can be crucial. The 4AA lantern with a NI bulb would be a great solution in a small tent for a backpacker. The 4D option would likely have insanely long runtimes with the reported current draw of 67mA. This could make for a superb low level camping light.

The direct competition to the NI LED is the LED solutions from TerraLux: The Broad Miser (TLE-2), the QuadSTAR (TLE-3), and the Spot Miser (TLE-1). See the reviews at: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_bulbs.htm

While one of the TerraLux bulbs may be a better solution for some needs, the $10 price (vs. $15 plus shipping) and the off the shelf availability in local stores of the NI is a blessing. Without question the NI will replace the bulbs in my Dorcy lanterns. I will play with this bulb some more when it gets dark to see what I think of its effectiveness in the angle head flashlights. My gut feeling right now is they will be a good option in the angle head for long running/low level room illumination during emergencies or power outages. If I need more light or throw, I have plenty of other options. The NI LED finally gives me an emergency light LED option for a fair price. I have played around with the EverLED LED replacement lights, and while the output is very good, and it allows for 2-6 cells, the $40 plus shipping price tag made this a cost prohibitive solution to upgrade my stable of emergency lights.

Since I've already panned this bulb for use in Maglites, I might as well give it a try. I pulled out a matching set of 3D maglights, sputtered reflectors, and contact paper diffusers (for mucho smooth flood). In goes the NI bulb. Click go the switches. The stock Mag-lite crushes the NI bulb in output and throw. The NI is much whiter in color. With a sputtered reflector, the NI focuses tight and has a broad spill beam with no artifacts. With an added diffuser, the hotspot broadens. If I change the focus I can get a broad smooth beam. Really quite lovely, just lacking in lumens. I whipped out another favorite of mine, the Dorcy 3D w/1 watt luxeon LED. This baby does it all. Bright, white light, long runtime, killer throw, useful spill beam, durable bulb, matched reflector, etc. This can be had for around $20 and is IMHO a better cost effective solution to mag-lite woes than any bulb replacement. The Dorcy 1W put the NI bulb down for the count!. Put a fork in the NI, it's done!

I'll wrap this up now. Don't even bother buying this bulb as a straight replacement for a Mag-light (or really any other light). It bites big time. DO pick one of these up and give it a fair shake as a viable option for low output, long runtime, emergency or camping lighting. It may fit a niche you didn't know existed.

Good lumens to all, TR

P.S.- I have posted this review for the fine folks at "Equipped to Survive" forums to spread our flashaholic disease. http://www.equipped.org

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Pizzaman-I just got through playing around with this bulb in a Dorcy 4-aa dome lantern.I had a bulb from a Dorcy cool blue led in the dome light,it seems to my eye ball test to be about the same brightness as the Nite-ize.Think your review is on the money,put the Nite-ize in the emergency kit for low light,long run times.It is not what I expected,but for only $10,it might come in handy some day.:)

BR549

Newly Enlightened
Pizzaman pretty much sums it up. I would say it's dimmer than their drop in for the mini mag. But this was exactly what I was looking for - I dropped it into an old 6 volt lantern ( the kind that runs off the big 6 volt battery) and it runs fine. The huge reflector helps some but not much - the main thing is that I now have a light that will run a couple of hundred hours on one battery. Probably would make a good camping light as well. Pass on this if you are looking for anything beside a very impressive run time.

InfidelCastro

Banned
BR549 said:
I would say it's dimmer than their drop in for the mini mag.

ooo.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried one first in an Energizer contractor with about a 1.75-2 inch reflector with a focus spot in the middle. Not great on flood and a donut. Tried it in a Ray-O-Vac with maybe a 1.25 reflector no spot and while there is a ring it is not as noticeable in real use and the flood is decent. It was not bright in a smooth reflector with a Legend 2D with the larger reflector.

It looks happiest maybe with a smaller reflector and not plopped in a Mag sized reflector.