Surefire L1 Light Question?

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Is the SF L1 enough light on low (the supposed 1.1 lumen mode) enough to walk around the house in? I am torn between an L2 and L1, or even an E2L or 1...looking for an around the house low-mode that doesn't blind me.

Probably my HDS will fit the bill but it isn't here yet...and there's always that strong irrational urge to buy nagging me. :naughty:

magic79

Enlightened
IF your night vision is completely adapted, then the L1 has enough light for around the house walking. I had it with me in a hotel last week and when I woke up in the night, I found it to be adequate.

I also have the L2 and find low not only suitable for walking around the house at night but for most other applications.

That is my take; YMMV.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
The L1 is also one of my favorite lights and is excellent for home use
with the low beam. The low beam is very adequate once night vision
is completely adapted and the low beam also seems to run for ever. If
you need a brighter light, just push the tail cap button a little further.

A great Light ........................................ :thumbsup:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
Walking around the house at night was one of the reasons I bought the L1. With its narrow focus (i.e. lack of spill) and low light it doesn't disturb anyone either.

I will also use the F04 beamshaper to give a soft wide coverage I find pleasing to night adapted eyes.

Mind you I also bought the HDS EDC 60 which I use on setting 15 for this reason also. And then there is the Inova 24/7 low white mode which is also nice and similar to the L1 with the Beamshaper, and a Nuwai single AAA light, and I want to add the Arc AAA.

So saying all that, if you just want functionality, your HDS EDC will probably have the right level of light for you. But honestly, are you just looking for functionality?:) The L1 is a great light and you would probably end using it just as often.

You could also wait 'til you get your HDS EDC. The default lumen settings I believe are close to the L1 (1.1 lumen) and L2 (~15 lumen I think) low modes to get an idea of the amount of light from these lights.

Last edited:

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Yeah..waiting until I get the HDS is probably the best idea. The wife is starting to look at me funny about buying so many lights lately. :shakehead But L1 is next on my list.....I am so bad. :naughty:

Thanks for easily talking me into another light.

chuck4570

Enlightened
My SF L1 is my most used light that I own, I really prefer incan lights and I EDC a SF E1e and a SF E2e for all around use, but when at home the L1 is a constant companion. The L1 sits on the table next to my chair all evening, and on my bedside table all night. With the 2 stage switch on low this a great light for getting around at night without ruining my night vision, and when I need more light I just put it on high. For The times I need more light than the L1 will give me, the little L1 will get me to my other lights with no problem.

Chuck

wuyeah

Enlightened
I just found out today that L1 has actually 4 generations!!!

1st generation is no scallop bezel 1W, 2nd gen. is scallop 1W, third gen. is at the edge of transition, around 2004. 3W. with scallop bezel, new packaging.

1gen & 2gen looks like 50 hours (says on box 20hours or more) on low....
3rd gen. from 2004 cataloge says only 600 min (10hours runtime.).....

well, the new L1 is 90 hours on low.

my information is only from a bit research online.......can anyone tell me are my information correct.

is 3rd generation L1 has much shorter run time that all other surefire L1 generations?

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know about Surefire's plans for the L1? are they planning on any changes etc?? colours etc

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF L1 sits on my nightstand because with its low mode, it is one of the dimmest lights I own. I work nights and come to bed at 4-5am while my wife is still sleeping. The L1 on low doesn't wake her up, yet is plenty of light to see what I need to. I usually take it along camping too. I have a very early gen 1 L1 (no scallops on bezel), and accidentally left it on the low setting for at least 2-3 days. It still had enough light to navigate in the dark with when I finally discovered it had been left on.

-Keith

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...just obtained what I perceive to be a 1st gen - but seems to have a high dome LED with they typical circle in the square hotspot. Sound right?

I prefer Gen 4 with a beamshaper.

So - sell the L1 bezel (as I have a Gen 4 bezel w/green LED that I like!), or go for what sort of mod - possibly a 3 watt with a reflector and know of anyone who mods L1 heads?