What's the worst flashlight you own?

Rob187

Enlightened
We have lots of discussions about the best flashlights people own but I haven't seen any about the dud ones.

The worst flashlight I own is an Energizer Double Barrel AAAA incandescent. It is just a horrible light and I wish I had saved my money. It feels cheap, uses expensive, relatively hard to find batteries, doesn't turn on reliably, can turn itself off if bumped and won't focus despite the claim that it does.

All in all, it is just a terrible, poorly designed flashlight. I suspect it only exists so Energizer can show a full range of the Double Barrel series from D batteries down.

I just can't bring myself to throw it away though....

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worst flashlight? Fenix L0P. And really, I don't consider it a bad light. Quite good actually. It's just that everything I have is nicer. Unless you count the minimag that hasn't had a bulb replacement in 9 years and I have in a box somewhere.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the E1E bad in any particular way, or is it just "outshined" by your other lights?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say the MB3W was the worst one I've bought. It by far is not the worst one out there, just the worst that I've had.

The idea was great, but the product didn't live up to the idea very well, the switch and UI was very anoying to use. I resold that thing right away.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, not really worst flashlight because having one is better than having none.

At one time or another I had to use one of my flashlights (from a stock mini-mag, all the way up to my SF M6.)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks to CPF and the great review sites I usually have a pretty good idea what to expect before buying. But, there have been some unknowns. The worst from my LED era is a 2 C 3 LED which was part of a holiday gift box from Target. It's big, heavy, and dim. It was real cheap, however, so not all bad. This one probably has more potential as a hammer.

Geoff

TorchMan

Enlightened
Probably a tie between the eight LED steel lights that run on three AAAs in a carrier inside and some other lights I'll attempt to describe. The steel eight LEDS are inadverdant shake lights, because they will dim very much until you give them a good shake. Nice and bright when they aren't flickering or dimming.

The other lights are square and plastic, quite small using AAs. They are incan, and activate when you flip the front around where the bulb is, it's on a hinge and the bulb part faces the body when off, it rotates in or out of the body. They were free with an order and remind me of a light I bought at Ice Capades as a young boy. I had this disease even then. They are very yellow beams and none too bright but are okay for close up illumination through a very dark area, say a house.

Brlux

Enlightened
Shake light. Someone gave it to me so I did not loose any money over it. In my opinion it is one of the best marketed bad ideas I have seen.

Brlux

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morelite said:
I would have to say the MB3W was the worst one I've bought. It by far is not the worst one out there, just the worst that I've had.

The idea was great, but the product didn't live up to the idea very well, the switch and UI was very anoying to use. I resold that thing right away.

I'd agree on that one and I sent mine back to china since specific questions about the switch were asked in the thread and apparently the answers were based on a very loose interpretation of "positive feedback" . There is feed back when the button is pushed the problem is that its a crapshoot reguarding exactly what will happen. You could code the various modes to equal different sayings and it would make a good alternative to the "Magic 8 ball"

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
I would have to say my "Jerkov" shake light and the made in china single AAA flashlite/carabiner that the army is giving out at their public "service guarentees citizenship" sign up with us displays.

metalhed

Enlightened
This is actually a tough one...hmmm.

I'm always tossing out the cheap plastic ones that come with other items; but then they're barely flashlights (just 'cause it lights up, doesn't mean it's a flashlight :D ).

Of the bad production-type lights I have, the Garrity 3xAAA I have tops the 'this sucks' list.

It uses a 5mm LED driven by the three AAA's in a carrier. The light s focused by one of those crappy lenses that turn the beam into a sharply-defined circle. Now that's not so bad in and of itself, but the beam is dim and reminds me of a full moon...except dimmer. The circle of light this thing produces has more artifacts than a museum...totally useless.

The really funny part is the red and blue plastic filters that come with the light. Now I suppose some might find a barely visible, splotchy red circle of light to be useful, but not me. And the blue is just laughable...almost obliterates the measly output completely...any darker and it would work as a lens cover for this thing.

Anyway, another $19.99 (American) wasted in the pursuit of flashlight curiousity...you've been warned, tho'.

:laughing:

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I know I,m gonna get a LOT of flack for this (Flame Suit ON) but you asked, Innova X5, absolutely hate em, I have 2 and both have the ugliest beams and blue tint but I guess thats the way it's supposed to look :thumbsdow