L2, L4.. other options?

nospecialfx

Newly Enlightened
just trying to decide between an L2 and an L4... and looking at other options if anyone has any ideas.

I need a light that is capable of putting out a lot of light and can stand a beating. I was originally looking at an e2l, but i was put off by the throw of the light... I think i'm looking for something that has a bit more flood.

What i like about the L2 is the high output high setting, yet the ability to keep things low if i need to keep my night vision. i'm worried about the regulation, though. Does anyone find this to be a problem?

on the other hand, the l4 seems to have much better regulation, but lacks the low setting... maybe a 2 stage tailcap would be ideal, but from my understanding, they have been discontinued, correct?

If anyone has any opinions on either light, i'd love to hear them... even suggestions for other lights?

One thing that pushes me away from the surefires is the price... think they'll give me a student discount? yeah.... thought so...

thanks for your help

a99raptors

Enlightened
I had the same tough decision but I finally decided on the L2. I just feel more comfortable if the two stage mechanism was built by the same people who built the flashlight. Also, the light output from the L2 is greater than the L4. The low light however, might still be blinding in close up work like reading. And with the L4, you have the KL4 head as a spare and can be configured to a variety of things.

If you do get the L2, try to get the one with the longer bezel. The throw is more useful and you still get an awesome flood light.

carrot

Flashaholic
This thread may answer some of your questions about the L2's regulation.

The way I see it is, if you plan on using the low mode more than the high mode, you should get the L2, because it's regulated on both low and high. If you plan on using the high mode and only low once in awhile, then you should get the L4 with the McGizmo dual stage tailcap. Reason being-- the L2 gets 30-40 minutes on high, but the L4 gets over 60 minutes.

15 lumens is a lot... it *will* destroy your night vision.

If you want a truly night-vision safe light, I'd recommend the A2 with red LEDs, or even yellow-green or white, although white will dazzle you more than red or y-g. The A2 puts out 79 lumens, as measured by McGizmo, by the way.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!

Luna

Enlightened
a99raptors said:
If you do get the L2, try to get the one with the longer bezel. The throw is more useful and you still get an awesome flood light.

Didn't Al say (told by the man himself) the short and long version use the same reflector but was just longer to increase the thermal mass? Or did I just dream this?

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hmmm, maybe, but i tried both of them and that is what I found. Maybe it was just a fluke. Appreciate it if anyone can clear it up.

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Or, you could try out an HDS and have 4 or with an Ultimate model, even 20 different brightness levels on hand. I don't mean to sound like an HDS disciple or anything, I have just found that unless I need a really bright light ( of which the L4 and L7 definitely are), I have put away all the old lights and carry this little wonder. Oops..sorry, getting off topic, I'll just shut up now...:drool:

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
I had an L2. I think the Low power beam was too bright at 15 Lumens. I have a good sized back yard, and on Low power, no one could hide in it. I don't think it would help in conserving night vision either. The bright Low power also made it a battery eater. Like I said, I HAD it.

I now have a U2, and am I happy with that. 100 Lumens on the high side and with only 2 Lumens on the Low side, it's just right. A great beam also. It works perfect with #18650 re-chargeables. JMHO Good Luck.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Luna said:
Didn't Al say (told by the man himself) the short and long version use the same reflector but was just longer to increase the thermal mass? Or did I just dream this?

OK, I emailed Surefire and they replied saying that the longer head does indeed throw better.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which rechargeable cell do you use for the L2? Does it also reduce the high output? I just got an L2 today and am quite impressed with it.

a99raptors

Enlightened
I use the Protected 14670 from Aw. Nice guy to do business with. If there is any decrease in the high output, my eyes aren't picking it up, so it should be fine.

jd37352

Newly Enlightened
a99raptors said:
I use the Protected 14670 from Aw. Nice guy to do business with. If there is any decrease in the high output, my eyes aren't picking it up, so it should be fine.

I use the same set up too, also can't tell the difference. I've had an L2 for over a month now, and I've not even changed the rechargeable battery yet. It's still on its first charge. I love this light, although it might be a bit long. I EDC this and a Fenix L1P. L2 for flood, and L1P for throw.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see a 14670 listed on AW's sticky , but there is a 17670 listed, would that battery fit? I measured a pair of 123's with a crude mm ruler and the size looks about right but not sure about the voltage.