Surefire Bug in Me

Nell

Enlightened
Almost jumped on a L1, but decided I needed a better education before I go off the deep end.

I like Luxeons, but would like a model that would give a good throw along with a decent spill. The L1 sounds like a great thrower without too much spill.

Recommendations please, without having to close my bank account.

carrot

Flashaholic
Have you considered the Fenix L1P? From what I hear, it's almost as bright as the L1/E1L, but it has some spill as well. I like it, and for such a tiny thing, it has pretty impressive throw.

CLHC

Flashaholic
What Carrot mentioned above.

You can also try out the drop-in pill/sammie LEDs from The Sandwich Shoppe along with the replacement reflectors for the Mini Maglite.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I have an E2L, L2, and 2 L4's

I used to carry the E2L which pretty much has the same beam as thye L1

Now I carry the L4 because I like more spill than the KL1 head has (thats whats on your L1)

get an L4 and buy a KL1 head later. The L4 is a great light.

chuck4570

Enlightened
If you have the Surefire Bug in you go with Surefire. You should go to your local Surefire dealer and try out some of these lights. I think that the L1 is a great little light right out of the box with it's 2 stage switch, if posible look into both the old version and the new version of the L1, they are a bit different from each other, and you might perfer one over the other. Good luck with your choice.

Chuck

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, but the Fenix L1p isnt nearly as bright as the E1l in terms of throw.

-David

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
I bought an L1 (new version I think, can't find any good pics of either really) because I liked the hi/low outputs. I am not attracted to the short runtimes of so many of these "super-output" lights from SureFire and others. The beam I am not picky on, if it's fairly even and not a "full moon", it's okay with me.

And even though there were several local dealers, I had to order the L1 online; no local places had one on hand it as it is not one of the more-popular "tactical" lights. So I did not get to see one before ordering.
----
There's a few other lights that have dual output levels though, here is a thread on one: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=115465
for this light:
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/2mode-flashlight-p-434.html
The SF is nice but it is rather overpriced for what I use it for; I tend to worry about dropping the thing and breaking the lens, or of losing/leaving it somewhere accidentally.
So in that way it really costs too much; I likely will not pay as much for any small flashlight again.

A lower-output flashlight is a pretty simple thing; it shouldn't cost much and should be basically expendable IMO.
~