SF: E1L or L1?

taro68

Newly Enlightened
Hello i would like to buy a Surefire one C123 battery but i am not sure from L1 or E1L models. Has someone some comparison pics between these flashlights? What is better in light real performances?
Thanks people!
Giovanni

IonFire

Enlightened
SF L1 -Dual stage light, Low 1.1 Lumens, High 22 Lumens.press for momentary light, turn for constant on, uses primary batteries only. Length 4.60 Inches.
SF Claimed runtime on primaries-90 Hours on low, 4 Hours on High.

SF E1L- Single stage output, 25 Lumens on primaries,30 Lumens on Li-Ions, Press for momentary, press harder for constant. Length 4.0 Inches.
SF Claimed runtime on primaries-4 Hours.

Note, The E1L uses a KL1 Head that can be used on the E-Series Lights from Surefire,this includes from 1X123 up to 3x123 batteries, The L1's head can NOT be used on any other lights.

I used to use a dual stage cap on my E1L, then when i switched to rechargeable Li-Ions, i went back to solo stage switch and use a pop on and off diffuser on the end that doubles as a lens cap,if i want low light i leave it one, otherwise i remove for full blast.

Other Surefire masters will pop in an add to this i am sure, it coms down to preference really, it is Up to You.

Peace

IF

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
taro68 said:
What is better in light real performances?

Some great points from IonFire.

The answer of course depends on what you want out of the light and how you will use it. I looked at both lights and decided on the L1. I travel a lot and need to do a lot of really close up work, so long runtime was important and the (stated) 90 Hours on low for the L1 means I carry less batteries and a single light while away. The E1L was just too much light close up to the subject and the low setting of the L1 was fine for me, of course if I need it I also have the high setting for almost as much output as the E1L. This comes at a price, the L1 is slightly larger and needs primary cells.

My view would be to buy the light you need most, and save up and buy the other one later. :)

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
I was going to get an L1 or an E1L because I like Surefire and I wanted a two-stage (or more), single battery, small size light. I ended up buying and HDS light and am very happy with it. In fact, it has cured me from buying more lights..... at least for a while! :naughty:

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an E1L for something that is lacking in other lights -- including other good 1x123 lights. It has great throw in a small package. Other lights might have more total lumens but the E1L throws what it has a good distance because of the lens. The beam is square because of the collimating lens, but this doesn't bother me. Light is not round either.

In fact, the beam difference in it and an E2L are negligible (save runtime of course). And unlike other incan to LED upgrades (E1e to E1L) it is a tremendous improvement in light output and usage. JMO.

wuyeah

Enlightened
L1 one no doubt. Though, i only so far owns older one. What i am really gonna tell you is this....you will be surprise how much you use on low. As for high, L1 throws about the same as E1L. When throw value comes that close, it is a noticable to anyone.

Some times you want to see things that is so close, that you sure don't want to be too bright. For E1L, you can't adjust.

Runtime on new L1 does sound more and more attractive to me. For what i can tell you, i enjoy the L1 more for its 1 lumen brightness.

THAT will be the major decision to focus on if i were you. I own E1L pure because.....i want a 1X 123 from surefire line, to make my collection a bit "complete".

carrot

Flashaholic
I was in the same dilemma as you a little while ago. I ended up choosing the E1L, because I decided I wanted a simpler, single stage light to complement my A2 Aviator. Also, the E1L is smaller than the L1, and for my purposes, I felt one brightness level would be fine.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L plus a Mc2Es makes it a slightly less efficient L1 but with more versitility (interchagability with other E series lights)

IonFire

Enlightened
And does not have to stay on primaries.

This is a known boost in light output, damn near doubles what the L1 can do on high.

It is a preference thing in the end to anyone.

IF