Deoxit and Progold

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
How often do you clean and protect all electrical conections in your lights? How long does the stuff last on the metal surfaces?

How much product do you use?

Thanks!
AlexGT

Rudi

Enlightened
Re: How often do you Deoxit and Progold all contacts?

And is it suitable for o-rings as well, or not?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use it on the problematic Krolls until the switch starts to give me problems again. So far, I'm going on two months on the Kroll and it's still reliable. I'd try to keep it away from O-rings as well. Use it sparingly. I use the little tube that comes with it and just direct it to the metal mating areas where you can get arcing. The stuff's so expensive, you'd want to use it sparingly anyway.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

The instructions caution to use very little and then to wipe off the contacts so only a thin film remains. Perhaps too much will attract dirt, like over-oiling a motor.

I generally clean the contacts with Pro Gold yearly. Aluminum bodies and threads get cleaned at cell change or every few months.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ummm.... Never? Not unless there's been some corrosion to the contacts from a leaking battery or something, but more often than not, I've left it too long and it's not worth saving.

AlexGT said:
How often do you clean and protect all electrical conections in your lights?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just did the full treatment to my Li-ion TL-3, and a few SF lights and it does seem brighter, maybe a good 5-10% the filament is just screaming white, It works!!! Gotta go empty the stock at Fry's. they are $0.90 and $1.90 for Deoxit and ProGold respectively.

Thanks for your help
AlexGT

FASTCAR

Banned
Deoxit & Progold

Deoxit and Progold are hands down the best cleaner/enhancers I have ever used..by far. Worth every single penny you pay for it. HUGE thumbs up !

I have done countless lights,audio,video and other gadgets.

Every light I treat gets brighter and my video is much cleaner.Much more dynamic range and better soundstage on the audio!

Can't say enough about this great product.

Most of you can get away with just : Deoxit 2Ml tube part #D100L-2c
In most cases 2Ml will last a lifetime. I have done 100+ lights and many other connects and the tube is still more then 1/2 left.

For any noobs : Never use "Q-tips" get some of the foam type swabs and lint free cloth.

It is as simple as : Put a drop or 2 on contact area..wait 2 mins..wipe off..done

IMO this is a must have!

My 2 cents

:goodjob: :rock:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Deoxit & Progold CHEERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions on where to order the detoxit? Do you think you also should use the progold. Do you put a coat of progold on after using the detoixt?

daveman

Enlightened

Would applying an additional coat of Pro Gold after the initial coat of deoxit do anything more for the contacts? According to the product description on accousticsounds.com, deoxit already "cleans, PRESERVES, lubricates, and improves conductivity." I know it's alot to ask, but have you noticed any difference between applying deoxit and pro gold and applying deoxit only?

FASTCAR

Banned

Actually no I have not. Seems just the Deoxit is fine and actually has a small amounty of progold in it 5% or so.

As for cost the 2Ml cost like $4..like i said 2Ml should last years

Last edited:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use to use TPC pads, "The Perfect Connection", made by or for XLO Electric Company, Inc years ago and now look at Deoxit and Progold as the next evolution of the modern contact cleaners/enhancers.
Deoxit followed by an application of progold just works. Amazingly well.
No snake oil. No pseudo-techno dribble, and no baffle-gab. Period.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advise, seems like it's something I should follow. Just have to figure out where to get this stuff in Sweden, or something equivalent.

noleincol

Newly Enlightened

I have used Caig products for close to 30 yrs. and find them to be excellent cleaners & enhancers for switches & pots. For contacts that are non-moving, cleaning with De-oxit then using a product named Stabilant 22 provides a connection that is almost as good as soldered. I have used Stabilant 22 on audio & video connections in home and commercial commercial applications yielding noticeable gains. I use Stabilant 22 between batteries and contacts in my lights, but not switches, as it will cause lights to activate while swith is off. Check stabilant.com & purchase from posthorn.com as they have the lowest price anywhere.

FASTCAR

Banned

Just did my sisters M*g. NIght and day difference in lumens and color.
I love this stuff.

FASTCAR

Banned

Did my racecars spark plugs and wires..gained a few volts.I love this stuff more daily.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got some DeoxIt and DeoxIt Gold.

dsc04727smallgz4.jpg

FASTCAR

Banned

Nice 2 biggies.Thats enough to treat 100's of light and household goodies.
Do some lights and post results )

Last edited:

martytoo

Newly Enlightened

Has anyone here used the Caig contact rejuvenator pen that was sold at Radio Shack? I thought it was advertised as a product that could be used to recoat the underside of buttons used on electronics (like those on a remote control unit).

This link seems to be for a product that isn't explicitly advertised for that? Am I missing something here? Did they discontinue the product I remember or is it less appropriate for this button coating than I thought?

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/MSDS/6404339_MSDS.pdf