SureFire E1E

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
Please can you tell me everything about this flashlight ? what are they like for the following

Brightness (compared to other lights)
Durability (does it stand knocks)
Do the bulbs burn out quickly or are they pretty good
Battery life . . Is it strictly 90 minutes or does it give and take ?

Thanks very much.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I don't own one, but from what I've heard, the E1E is a good light and just about everyone who owns one likes it. It's not the brightest incandescent out there by any means, but people say that it puts out an ample amount of light for most tasks, and the quality of light is very good. The beam is nice and smooth with an even transition from hotspot to spill (like just about every other Surefire incandescent).

Durability I'd assume is just as good as any other Surefire light. Get Type III HA if you want it to be scratch and ding resistant, but the cheaper type II should be just as durable as far as not getting completely destroyed, it'll just scratch and wear easier.

Surefire bulbs are rated for 25 hours, which is excellent in itself, but some people say they even go longer than that. They're expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

I'm not really sure about battery life, but I can tell you this light is not regulated, which means it'll get dimmer throughout the life of the battery. This is good in that you can tell better when the batteries are going to die, but bad in that it's not as bright through most of the battery life than it is with new batteries. I will say, however, that with my G2, it can't really tell all that much that it's getting dimmer throughout the life of the battery. The discharge curve for 123 lithiums is much better than alkalines, and the dimming is not nearly as obvious as it is with a stock maglite. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Overall, I think the E1E is an excellent choice. I gather it's very useful on its own, and you can upgrade it later with the KL1 or KL4 LED heads, or a 2 cell body and MN03 lamp assembly to make it an E2E

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Does nobody actually own one ? i would expect about 20 people to post telling their e1e tales.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
WIJLY said:
Thanks.

Does nobody actually own one ? i would expect about 20 people to post telling their e1e tales.

I have 4 or 5. All but one have KL1's on them and the one that doesn't have a KL1 has a black KL4 on a black E1E with a tailcap from a E2D.

oldgrandpajack has two E1E that he uses a lot.

chuck4570

Enlightened
I have 4 of these little jewels, 2 are stock, 1 is with a KL1 head (wifes), and my EDC is a E1e with a Aleph 1XCR2 flared body for a nice small package that rides well in my pocket. At 15 lumens, it is just about right for 85 to 90% of my flashlights needs on any given day such as, looking behind the computor, under a desk, in a test chamber, finding my clothes in the AM, reading a map, and many many more. The three that I have with incan heads I have had for over 1 1/2 years now and have not had to replace a bulb yet in any of them. Runtime of 90 minutes is pretty hard to determine, because even using the light 4 or 5 times a day, you only use a couple of minutes at a time, so I am in the habit of replacing batteries monthly if not sooner with heavier use. If you put a KL1 head on it, runtimes are longer, it's a little brighter (a little to bright to read by), but it is also larger in size.

Good luck
Chuck

shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a KL1 head on it now.

You might consider the E1L LED version (which uses the KL1 head). It has more overall light and terrific throw, which is usually not the case in an incandescent to LED upgrade (usually the LED versions are not as bright as the incan versions -- not so with the E1L). You will probably find it more useful. It's beam is squarish rather than round due to the collimation lens, but that doesn't bother me. I think most end up converting to the KL1 head (and don't look back) anyway. JMO.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The e1e is a beautiful light! ( I have owned one for about 1.3 years) It is rediculously small and has a high output, and it is worth every cent!

any questions whatsoever... I would be willing to answer them.

-tom

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is about 2 years old now and I also have a KL1 head on it, but I keep the original head and spare lamp handy in case I want to use it as an incan light. The LED head is bright enough for most of what I use it for. Remember, most of the time you don't want a bazillion candlepower, just enough to light up what you need to see.

While I don't recommend it, yes, I have dropped mine several times by accident and always on to a concrete floor. It works fine and fortunately I don't have any marks on the light. Very tough light.

As for carrying it, I have an old Victorinox leather sheath meant for a large SAK (Swiss Army Knife). I don't think those are available any more. The E1e, E1L, or E1e+KL1 should fit a similarly sized sheath well. Keeps the light handy and frees up pocket space.

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
So, ok i gather than lots of people like them but use the led conversion (i cant afford)

Heres one, If you could only use a E1e as stock with the stock bulb how would you describe the light output and throw ? is it still good for seeing over some amount of distance ? Surefire say its as good as a 2 d cell mag (i never have seen a D cell mag lit up)

ALl i will be getting is a stock E1e with a spears carrier and a spear bulb.

Please . . your opinions on this scenario

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
WIJLY said:
ALl i will be getting is a stock E1e with a spears carrier and a spear bulb.

I dunno if that's a good idea. People might get nervous if they see you walking around with extra spears. ;) Anyway, it's a great light! Only thing I'd change is I would have gotten the HAIII finish on my E1. The GM finish wears right off. Especially on a light that's mean to keep handy in a pocket.

It's as bright or a bit brighter than a 2D/2C Xenon, and it has the Surefire nice round hotspot with plenty of spill. The lamp stays fairly bright through the life of the battery. I'd trust it 100% to change a tire on the side of the road, find my way around a dark building, go for a walk outside, etc. The clip, even the original E1 bezel-mounted one, is still perfect for clipping to a hat brim. Plenty bright for any indoor use (assuming you're not in the Space Shuttle hangar). It's an excellent EDC light. I have dropped mine millions of times and the bulb is still the original. I've dropped the lamp itself while changing the battery and it's still good to go.

Last edited:

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
Ok , just as a little curious thing, Pitch black (or close) and wanting to look at a brick wall and see someone - How far away could you be from that wall to see if someone or something was standing by it ? To be able to see acceptabilly?

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
Oh . . . i kind of thought it would have had a slightly better range for some reason. is it true that a Inova XO can top an E1e for brightness and throw ? i saw it on a review site and the figures of the LED inova XO were better than the figures on the Incan E1e . . ????

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
WIJLY said:
Oh . . . i kind of thought it would have had a slightly better range for some reason. is it true that a Inova XO can top an E1e for brightness and throw ? i saw it on a review site and the figures of the LED inova XO were better than the figures on the Incan E1e . . ????
Yes definitely! The Inova XO has amazing throw!! I use it 99% on all my wilderness trips - caves included. It's way too bright to read and to use inside the tent though. It's a great outdoor light and is cheaper that this little Surefire. Not the mention the perfect 4 hours of flat regulation.