rechargables in Nuwai light?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I just read that Nuwai dosent recomend it,

But im sure that I would be fine using 3 volts 123's.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read others have had success running 3.6/3.7V R123As in the 2611X, but no personal experience.
I personally don't take much note to Nuwai's warranty statements since there is no warranty anyways (others have mentioned "will doing this and that null the warranty?", but there's no warranty to begin with unless you live in China).

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
batvette said:
FWIW I have the 5w Nuwai here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_alx-352_alx-032.htmbought off ebay for $60 including 2 unprotected LIR 3.6v cells and a charger, they are fine in that one. Yours may be different. I'm liking the idea of buying the torch and rechargeables from the same vendor. If it melts, their problem.
What kind of runtimes do you gett from those batteries? I've been looking at that light/batteries/charger combo for months now. Not too sure I want unprotected batteries though.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well ... I don't have any "I read" someplace type stories for you, but I have used both a 3.6 unprotected, and a 3.0V protected (actually regulated to 3.2V) R123 in a Nuwai Q-III. I noticed just a little bit more brightness with the 3.6V, so I went back to the 3.0V R123s.

Okay, my one "I read" ... Someone did post that they fried their Q-III using 3.6V R123s but I don't think I would stake everything on a single posting. But since Chinese lights don't have any warranty, I don't think that any concern about voiding a warranty would be an issue, it would be a matter of whether or not you want to risk the light itself.

sphynx_000 said:
This one specifically, http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_1w_alx2611x.htm

I was wondering if they could handle 3.6 volts? Anyone that has one, ever try it?

batvette

Newly Enlightened
"What kind of runtimes do you gett from those batteries? I've been looking at that light/batteries/charger combo for months now. Not too sure I want unprotected batteries though."

To be honest I couldn't accurately say because, them animals being unprotected, I haven't been in a hurry to charge them up and run 'em down to nothing (likely ruining them) solely for the purpose of CPF bragging rights..... :drool:

You know as far as the worry about "unprotected" goes I'm not concerned. I'll notice the output is greatly reduced before the voltage goes into dangerous territory, I think.

Good question though. I have had it for about a month and have used it sporadically to induce blind spots on the retinas of my friends, not long periods of time yet.

I paid for the light on early saturday morning (like 2 am) with paypal and UPS had it at my door monday morning! (I'm about 450 miles from them) It came in retail shrink packaging WITH the duracell batteries too, that it said weren't included. Very nice build quality, maybe a little too heavy duty- it's a big chunk of aluminum. I have been very impressed with the amount of light it puts out. I will probably next buy the Nuwaii 303 5w, it's considerably smaller but only one mode. That or Elektrolumens "little friend". That looks like a nice show and tell toy.