Contains the KL3 a relay?

BBL

Enlightened
I just noticed my KL3 makes a silent 'click' sound when it lights up.
It seems it contains a relay, could this be part of polarity protection?

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
My KL5 and KL3s do that. The 'click' will be softer as the battery voltage drops. My KL5 will click louder on a freshly charged 17670 compared to a partially used one. Obviously, it is most audible when used with 3 cells. When the light drops out of regulation there won't be any sound.

BBL

Enlightened
I connected the kl3 with wires directly to the cells. The noise comes from sparcs generated when the wires/switch makes contact.
So much for relay :)
Makes me wonder how much current the kl3 draws...

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Strange, I did the same with both heads (KL5 & KL3) on the Golden Dragon lantern's battery holder and the sound came from inside. Yup sparks can be seen when the head is not connected firmly onto the terminals, a wierd smell too! But the sound definitely came from inside the head. Just tried.

The KL3 only draws a bit of current. You can try the search function to find out the current draw.

BBL

Enlightened
i just tried again, and youre correct - the noise comes from the head.
so the question is still there...

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Might be the regulation circuit starting up? You won't hear the click sound when the light drops out of regulation. A strange but useful way to find out whether your KL3 is still running in regulation or not is to put it next to your ear when turning it on. Why do I need to do this? Because I'm running mine on an unprotected 17670 and the point where it drops out of regulation is barely noticable visually, and I don't want to overdischarge the cell.