Modify a standard 2D?

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I'm a complete newby (or wannabe) to modding a flashlight, but I hear about people doing it alot here. I have a Ray-o-Vac Roughneck 2D light with a krypton bulb. It's a straightforward simple light. Can it be modded somehow to make it brighter or better in some way?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you are talking about using this in a 2D, I think the PR based SMJLED is a more cost effective solution. It's output is just a little less than the EverLED and is only $10 instead of $40. I have used both, and I don't think you would notice the difference in actual use unless you actually put the two side by side.

Genxsis

Newly Enlightened
I checked out the SMJLED on the internet and it seems to be for AA battery lights. I could be wrong, of course.

Is either the SMJLED or the everled available in stores like Target, or any sporting good stores like Scheel's or Gander Mountain?

carrot

Flashaholic
You are not far off in assuming the SMJLED is for 2xAA lights, but since the alkaline chemistry is ~1.5v per cell, the SMJLED will work happily in any light that uses two alkaline batteries, be it 2xAA, 2xC, or even 2xD. It'll also work with 3v 123 batteries, but that's derailing your original question. The SMJLED will absolutely work in your 2D Ray-o-Vac, given it uses the common PR-base bulbs. Take a look at Lambda's PR-base SMJLEDs, only $10 each and an instant upgrade to your tired 2 cell incandescent.