Sf L2 and the L4

pkennethv

Newly Enlightened
Hi, can anybody give me some input on the L4 and L2, from What I heard the L2's beam is alot more focused than the l4's other than that anything thing else i should know? Beam shots would be nice so I can see the diffence for myself.
Also Both the L4 and The L2 are listed on the Surefire site as 100 lumens, but why is it that on the chart on FlashLight Reviews the output of the L4 is less that the L2?

nuggett

Enlightened
I have both and the beams look the same, floody. Sold off the L2 and kept the L4 with a 2 stage tailcap switch. I see no advantage the L2 offers over the L4

Fiddleback

Enlightened
I have both. I agree that the beams are similar to the point of being indistinguishable. The difference is the two stage switch (modable in the L4 but costs ~47 dollars and the mod is getting rare), and the size of the L2 is larger by roughly an eighth. As far as runtime comparisons you'll have to find a wiser than I to answer them. I EDC my L4 and my L2 is my primary truck light (with several backups :grin2:). I LOVE my L4.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I find the L2 to be far more ergonomic for my hands - the both length makes it easier to grip and to operate. It is also more secure clipped inside my pocket - doesn't get snagged or fall out as much as the L4 or E2L etc.

Without a doubt I'd get an L2 over an L4.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I prefer the L4

Both are close to about the same brightness that it becomes a moot point.

The L4 is more modular. You can use the head with 1 cell bodies if you want to go small. Or you can also buy a KL1 head and attach it to the L4 body. You can also buy a Vital Gear 1 or 2 cell body and interchange that with the L4's KL4 head or KL1 head. I think there are more options if you want to go with rechargeable cells in 1 or 2 cells. It's like Lego blocks for flashlights.

Also I like the size, it's about the max I want in a everyday carry light. The L2 verges on being too long.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I find the L2 to be far more ergonomic for my hands - the both length makes it easier to grip and to operate. It is also more secure clipped inside my pocket - doesn't get snagged or fall out as much as the L4 or E2L etc.

Without a doubt I'd get an L2 over an L4.

Does anyone know how to remove that annoying plastic lanyard ring on the L2 short of breaking it out of that groove? And also what does the light look like without it? I've thought of filing off the eye, but that seems destructive. I really don't like that plastic ring.

CLHC

Flashaholic
nuggett said:
Also, no rechargeables for the L2
If you look in the Dealer's Corner and look up AW, you'll find a thread regarding the rechargeable battery for the SureFire L2. Unless he's temporarily runout.

I really like my SF.L2 and is mostly flood—W.allO.ffL.ight—for the short to medium range which I prefer. And exactly as Size15's indicated above.

magic79

Enlightened
Fiddleback said:
Does anyone know how to remove that annoying plastic lanyard ring on the L2 short of breaking it out of that groove? And also what does the light look like without it? I've thought of filing off the eye, but that seems destructive. I really don't like that plastic ring.

There was a thread about this maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I don't have the time to search right now, but if you don't find it, post again and I'll take a look.

I have the L2 and L4 and Size15's echos my sentiments exactly. My EDC, however, is an HDS U60XR, but my L2 is on my nightstand as the Bump In The Night light. Hey...should we create a new acronym? <sorry> :whistle:

carrot

Flashaholic
Using a thin knife, I was able to pry off the lanyard ring without destroying it. I'm not sure I recommend this method, it's a bit dangerous.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's the way I did it. Danger must be our middlenames!

P135.jpg

If you see how the ring is snap-fitted together it may make it easier for you to pry the two halves apart.
SureFire%20Z60%20Lanyard%20Kit%2064.jpg

Fiddleback

Enlightened
So you guys just parted it at the break carefully and stretched it around the light? No heat gun involved?

Go nowhere on the search.

Fiddleback

Enlightened
UWAK said:
How about the heat problem with L4? Is it happen to L2 also?

Frids

I'll be watching this. I hadn't heard of any heat problem. Mine gets pleasantly warm in the hand. My L2 on high does the same.