Luxeon 5 Watt LED Torch ALX-253L from NUWAI

Miracle

Enlightened
I just discovered yesterday that the hardware shop here sells the :

Luxeon 5 Watt LED Torch ALX-253L from NUWAI

it takes three 123A lithium cells.

Can some kind souls please tell me what rechargable 123 lit kit can I use for this torch?

It is much cheaper then the SF

:huh2:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want to use 2 protected 17500's and you'll need a DSD charger to charge them. How much are they asking for that light? I can say it's really a great light. I've had one for 2.5 years, now, and I've used and abused it more than any other light. It actually works better on rechargeables, too! (It appears to keep maximum brightness much longer) Mine is just as bright as my SF L4, too.

Miracle

Enlightened
Trashman said:
You want to use 2 protected 17500's and you'll need a DSD charger to charge them. How much are they asking for that light? I can say it's really a great light. I've had one for 2.5 years, now, and I've used and abused it more than any other light. It actually works better on rechargeables, too! (It appears to keep maximum brightness much longer) Mine is just as bright as my SF L4, too.

hi Trashman!

thankx for the info.

It is going for S$150+

this torch has already been out for 2.5 years?

:awman:

I thought it was released last year

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I was gonna make a crack about calling it a "torch," :touche:but actually, over time I have come to really think that is a better term for it than "flashlight" is. We don't use them to "flash," generally. We use them to illuminate -- hence, "torch" is a good term for it, harkening back to the olden days of actual flaming torches. :)

I like torch, or electric torch. Carry on. :candle:

-Jeffrey

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's been out for at least 2.5 years. I bought might at the very end of 2003, and I had seen it in mail order catalogs months before then. There are actually three body styles of the same light. It comes in black and silver anodized, also. How must is S$150 in dollars? Is that Singapore money?

Miracle

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Yeah, it's been out for at least 2.5 years. I bought might at the very end of 2003, and I had seen it in mail order catalogs months before then. There are actually three body styles of the same light. It comes in black and silver anodized, also. How must is S$150 in dollars? Is that Singapore money?

yes, its singapore currency

csk

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I use three rechargable 3.7V RCR123A (protected) on each of my 5W LED Nuwai torchs (2x)
Works fine for the past 6 mths.

Best Regards

Miracle

Enlightened
csk said:
Hi

I use three rechargable 3.7V RCR123A (protected) on each of my 5W LED Nuwai torchs (2x)
Works fine for the past 6 mths.

Best Regards

Hello csk,

where in Singapore did you buy the three rechargable 3.7V RCR123A (protected)?

what does the "protected" means?

is this led torch really as bright as the 120 lumen rating?

Rando

Enlightened
Hello, Miracle. According to XE.com, S$150=$95US. You can get this light from Lighthound.com for US $67+$7 for International Shipping=$74US. This is S$117. They also carry RCR123s. I've ordered from them before and always had a great experience. Hope this helps you!

Edit: Here's info about "Protected" batteries.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done runtime and output tests with 3x RCR123A and 2x 17500? If it runs for longer on rechargeables that would be impressive. Is the output diminished with 2x 17500?

mdocod

Flashaholic
2x17500 should work best in this light- and be the safest alternative to primaries. using 3x3.7V, fresh off the charger- would be 12.6V (they are 4.2V each when fully charged)... the circuitry would have to cut down the voltage from 12.6 to ~6V for the lux5.. this would probably be much less efficiant(depending on how the circuit works) than cutting down the 8.4V from a pair of 17500s...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the output is not dimished by using two protected 17500s. Not at all. It appears hold maximum, or near maximum brightness longer with the 17500s than with the primaries.

I don't think it's outputs more than the U2, though it's hard to tell because of the different beam characteristics. The passaround U2 did looked to be a little bit brighter, but this Nuwai is definitely no slouch.

csk

Newly Enlightened
I purchased my battery from this site (AW batteries; based in HK)
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97268

In S'pore, u can try http://www.mteccd.com. They shoudl carry such batteries as they also sells a rechargable "Cr123A" torch (with charger)

A for 120 lumens, I really have no idea. My wife use it mainly to help 'dig' my kids' ears.

:+)
Regards

Miracle said:
Hello csk,

where in Singapore did you buy the three rechargable 3.7V RCR123A (protected)?

what does the "protected" means?

is this led torch really as bright as the 120 lumen rating?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. Looks like 17500's are the way to go.

Trashman, what capacity do you use?
Thanks

mdocod

Flashaholic
after looking at Quickbeams overall-output ratings compared to Surefire lux-5 lights, and reading members on here saying that they are comparable in brightness... I had to order one... Ordered my 3152 HID and the Nuwai ALX-253L from amondotech this morning... can't WAIT to get them... I'll probably post some beamshots of it compared to some other LED lights I have, along with others that should be coming in the mail soon...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really curious about that 3152, but right now, I don't really need any unnecessary expenses.

Monkeyboy, the ones I use are 1100mah. When I first put them in, one of them fit a little tight. I put that one in back, near the cap, to make it easier to get out, but, by the time it was time to recharge them, it wasn't tight any more. BTW, the 2 protected 17500's that I have are slightly longer than 3 primary cr123's, but not to worry, they fit exactly perfect.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have the ALX-153L?

How does the output and beam pattern compare to the ALX-235? I think it looks better; I prefer the plain styling.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked there website, and it turns out I have the ALX-053L. I'm pretty sure, though, that all three body styles contain the same light on the inside. I really don't think the output or beam pattern will be any different at all.