Can someone modify the Surefire L1 head?

Flashdark

Enlightened
Can someone modify the Surefire L1 Lumimax head to work better??!! I have gravitated to it for my EDC but it could certainly be improved. The tint on my two has a purple tone, the optics could be better served by a reflector instead of the NX05 supplied, and more power on "high" would be useful. I like the runtimes and lumen output on "low" so I would not want to make the "low" position much more powerful; however, instead of .7/15, 1.1/22 or 1.1/25 for low/high would be acceptable. I know that this sounds like the specs for the new L1, but I do not want JUST a pencil beam from the TIR optic of the Luxeon III. I am primarily a flood lover and I do not know if an F04 will acceptably solve this characteristic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

After I submitted the first part of this thread, "cy", a CPFer, allowed as how the SO 17 reflector was a dropin, quantum improvement for beam characteristics of the old L1 head. He said that you could unscrew the head, drop the reflector in, and reassemble. Although this does not address the tint or output issue, it appears to be a "simple" and quick way to greatly improve the light. I wonder if you could do the same thing and improve the new L1 head??!!

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking about the old L1 head you might also swap the low dome LED to a high dome. You can also put a Fraen LP optic in on a high dome and get a tighter beam though not as tight as a new L1/KL1.

As for the new ones it depends on what you mean by "improve" the new L1 is a tightly collimated light made for throw. If you want more spill then yes the reflector will "improve" it.

CM does nice work on these mods.

-LT