Goodbye Hummer - We Hardly Knew Ya'

loalight

Enlightened
Good riddance! now if only their owners could be converted into an amount of oil equivalent to what they wasted...

(edit: it is a shame these will be unavailable for those who actually have a real need. none of the hummers I see around here are in that categeory, however)

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That really surprises me, considering the military version of the H1 is in great demand.

It also really, really ticks me off. The H1 is the only real Hummer. If you have a lot of money and want a cool ride, the H1 is as close to a military vehicle as you can get without going vintage. Very capable and fast over rough terrain. As much as people bitched about the milage and waste, at close to $100K not many were sold. You don't hear complaints about folks buying performace cars that get 10MPG.

On the other hand, the H2 and H3 are poser bling-mobiles for airheads. Drop a fat ugly body on a stretched SUV chassis and it'll sell to millions of rap stars, drug dealers, and newly rich soccer moms. Only slightly better off-road (where no owners will go) but sucky milage for such a popular truck. The large sales of these boats probably doomed the H1 in the civvie market.

Last edited:

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that loalight is on to something.

Require that all dead or dying Hummer owners be buried at the La Brea Tar Pits (L. A.) so they can renew the dwindling supply of fossil fuel burnt up by their reckless purchase of a gas guzzler. :)

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I've really never understood why the Hummer took so much flack from tree huggers. I guess just because it was very visible in the media. It was not designed to be a wasteful luxury vehicle to foist on the public (a la Ford Excusion). It's an off-road scout/transport truck for the military. AM General made a civillian version available after the Gulf War because of the publicity, and it found a niche market.

Dodge Vipers, Saleens, Ferarris, and even large pickup trucks like F250's never attracted much negative image. They don't do any better for gas, although they go a lot faster. And Hummer H1's are still pretty uncommon after all these years. I live in an area surrounded by affulent towns and I've only seen three or four owned locally, one by a company for publicity. Actually I've seen more Porsche SUV's than Hummers.

Navck

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
That really surprises me, considering the military version of the H1 is in great demand.

It also really, really ticks me off. The H1 is the only real Hummer. If you have a lot of money and want a cool ride, the H1 is as close to a military vehicle as you can get without going vintage. Very capable and fast over rough terrain. As much as people bitched about the milage and waste, at close to $100K not many were sold. You don't hear complaints about folks buying performace cars that get 10MPG.

On the other hand, the H2 and H3 are poser bling-mobiles for airheads. Drop a fat ugly body on a stretched SUV chassis and it'll sell to millions of rap stars, drug dealers, and newly rich soccer moms. Only slightly better off-road (where no owners will go) but sucky milage for such a popular truck. The large sales of these boats probably doomed the H1 in the civvie market.

Hummer H2 is actually a Suburban platform. Horrible POS. The H1 is safe, and real. But the H2... Lots of kids drive it and inflates their ego. Plus the H2 is the fuel guzzler, not the H1.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC all the Hummers are pretty close. Diesel H1 and gas H2 should be somewhere around 12-14, I think the H3 is about 18.

Heck, my old Jeep only has a 6 cylinder engine and doesn't weigh much but gets only about 16. Good thing I got a great deal on it.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I have to echo the comment about them being so expensive not many were sold. Not a lot of fun to park in the city, either. I'm betting that a good few of them were actually used off-road, unlike many SUVs. Remember the Miller Lite commercial that featured an SUV backing out of it's driveway running over a neighbor's flower garden, with the narration being something like: That's the only time that baby's been (going) offroad!

I wonder what the real reason the Hummer (H1) is being discontinued? I doubt it's due to being a guzzler, GM is still introducing guzzlers, even in this time of high gas prices. More to do with profit margin most likely, and they'll take the praise from the greeners and run with it.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
You know, I've really never understood why the Hummer took so much flack from tree huggers. I guess just because it was very visible in the media. It was not designed to be a wasteful luxury vehicle to foist on the public (a la Ford Excusion). It's an off-road scout/transport truck for the military. AM General made a civillian version available after the Gulf War because of the publicity, and it found a niche market.

Dodge Vipers, Saleens, Ferarris, and even large pickup trucks like F250's never attracted much negative image. They don't do any better for gas, although they go a lot faster. And Hummer H1's are still pretty uncommon after all these years. I live in an area surrounded by affulent towns and I've only seen three or four owned locally, one by a company for publicity. Actually I've seen more Porsche SUV's than Hummers.

The Ford Excerson and F250 can with the diesel engines can easily get above 20mpg so they are not that bad of a vehicle when you consider that a lot of the front wheel drive v6 cars usually get low to mid 20's with every day driving, its only long highway trips where the smaller cars make a real difference. People in the cube farm are always complaining about how their camry's and accords are getting less than 25mpg as they drive to work.

But I never did understand why its ok for people to drive a 15mpg sports car but bad to drive a 20mpg truck/suv.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AM General should have never sold hummer's to the public.

How do you feel about the Shelby Cobra sports car replicas being sold in large numbers for the last 20 years?

The Ford Excerson and F250 can with the diesel engines can easily get above 20mpg

Really? The last test I read of the turbo diesel Excursion averaged around 17 if my memory's correct. Regardless of the fuel economy, I can't stand the things. Every time I pull up to one in traffic it dwarfs what used to be considered a large SUV. Same with the Yukon XLs and similar biggies.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i live in ga there are places for cars like hummmers within a .5 mile of my house .but theen again they could walk to the areas to mostly fishing areas and road im not sure where they go but there isnt many suvs i see being bale to go on the road hummer yes jeep yes .but then again the old willie jeep was 4 bangers and they go every where

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have a 2001 Ford Taurus Station Wagon 3.0L V6 that gets about 14.5-15mpg in town, 30mpg on the highway.

I have a 77' Chevy 4X4 with a 400ci V8 & 650cfm Edelbrock carb that gets around 8 in town and 11 on the highway (if I'm lucky). It probably gets a little worse gas mileage than an H1, but it's alot better vehicle. How many H1's do you think will be driving around in nearly original condition in 2036?

Razor

Newly Enlightened
I just heard about the news earlier today, and it's about time! The only trouble is, I think they got the numbers mixed up. It should have been the H2, not the 1. I've always had the highest respects for the H1, as much as I didn't like it and most all large trucks. The H1 had one purpose, and it was amazing at being able to fulfill what it was made to do, and for that I tip my hat to it every time I see one in action.

As for high performance cars getting mileage on a par with Hummers and getting away from taking flack, one has to remember some differences that seperate the two. When a sports car, say, rear-ends another vehicle, they--unlike Hummers--do not utterly consume that vehicle and all its occupants, as well as taking out the five other cars in front in its momentum's wake, and ending up demolishing the Burger King across the intersection. Besides, sports cars can only tango with Hummer mileages when they're being driven like your pants are on fire, while gentler driving gives more civilized figures. Hummers have no choice.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might now be very PC of me, but I think the H1 is an awesome vehicle. I saw one at the auto show, once, and just sitting in the driver seat was super cool. It's really huge in there! Those things are monsters (in a good way!)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I lived in Chicago, I saw privately owned H1 Hummers on a daily basis. I would love to own one, if I lived in Nevada or somewhere I could use it more. As far as antagonism toward folks who drive SUV's, I am only annoyed at the over confidence with which they are driven, not gas consumption. For those of you on a moral high-horse about gasoline consumption, you should be researching the cummulative effects of all the products you use that waste petroleum resources. Environmental conservation has more to do with lifestyle changes than MPG.

InfidelCastro

Banned
leukos said:
When I lived in Chicago, I saw privately owned H1 Hummers on a daily basis. I would love to own one, if I lived in Nevada or somewhere I could use it more. As far as antagonism toward folks who drive SUV's, I am only annoyed at the over confidence with which they are driven, not gas consumption. For those of you on a moral high-horse about gasoline consumption, you should be researching the cummulative effects of all the products you use that waste petroleum resources. Environmental conservation has more to do with lifestyle changes than MPG.

As silly as this sounds, with the gas guzzling truck I own, I have to admit at being pissed off at all the people in my town who drive these 10mpg behemoths. Ok seriously, what's the point? I see two Superduty type trucks driving down every other street. Twice the size of my old "gas guzzling" truck. I was coming out of a gas station today and there was a mid sized SUV in the stall next to my full sized truck and it was about one and a half times as wide and considerably taller. I've always noticed this before, but when you see it head on, it's much more apparent... WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS??? It was a 100lb. soccer mom driving herself around.

They're grocery getters. Nobody is hauling anything with them for the most part. It's all for show.. So these "farmers" and I use that term loosely can drive around in $50,000 trucks so they can show what big shooters they are. They have no power (compared to my truck) and are ugly as dog**** IMO. WHAT'S THE POINT???

I'm not against it at all. I just think so many people are total idiots. And if they want to be idiots, let them be.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
They're grocery getters. Nobody is hauling anything with them for the most part. It's all for show.. So these "farmers" and I use that term loosely can drive around in $50,000 trucks so they can show what big shooters they are. They have no power (compared to my truck) and are ugly as dog**** IMO. WHAT'S THE POINT???

I'm not against it at all. I just think so many people are total idiots. And if they want to be idiots, let them be.

I've always been miffed at these selfish displays of conspicious consumption (emphasis on CONSUMPTION).
:scowl: