Orb gets too hot?

Puppet

Newly Enlightened
Hi, folks: my first post on CPF... I just got my Orb RAW a few days, and have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with. First, one of the batteries it came with seems to be a dud: it only holds a charge for about a minute, on high level, before dying. I've emailed the company to see if they have a policy about this and -- to be fair to them -- haven't heard back from them, since it's the weekend, but just in case: where's the best place to get replacement RCR2s in in the US?

The other battery works fine: I get 20 minutes at high level. But the light quite quickly gets very, very hot. I mean, too hot to pick up: I had to wait for the battery to die and for it to cool off before I could pick it up to turn it off (I was outside and didn't have any potholders around...). Is this usual? I know I have the heat sink in properly, and all that.

Thanks for your help. I love this place.

JL

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to only use the high mode momentarily as too much heat can damage the LED.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The thermal dynamics of the Raw are not really that good. In all honesty how could you expect something the size of the Raw to be able to dump heat with such a small suface area to start with? The Raw wasn't designed to operate continuously on high for more than short bursts. It's not as if it's a regular flashlight! As leukos said if you keep it in firm contact with your hand then you will mitigate (slightly) some of the heat.

My suggestion would be that if it becomes too hot to handle then the LED will be exposed to too much heat anyway.

regards

Doug

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if course the orb raw gets hot. it isn't suppose to be a long running light but just wall of light for a few mins. also, the orb has some good heatsinking :p if your orb doesn't run hot, you should worry :)

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Mine has never got that hot,I usally only need to run it for a couple min on high.But its never been so hot I couldnt touch it.

TorchMan

Enlightened
As has been stated already, using it on high for shorter periods and keeping it in hand help with heat issues. Your blood flow will conduct some of the heat away if it's in hand.

I could be wrong on this, but seem to remember that the Raw should not be used until the battery is completly drained. When it starts to dim noticeably is the time to pull it out and recharge it, i.e, when the battery still has some juice. The reason for this is to protect the battery from overdischarge.

Ging

Newly Enlightened
My Raw will cut out and the LED only slightly glow when I put it is on full power.

Does any one know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ging, the Raw cuts out because of the protection in the just charged battery. Run on low for a few mins first. We covered this in a post a few days ago. Search under Raw or look back a few pages and you'll find it.

Puppet, same as the others, my Raw gets warm but never hot. I've only run it for perhaps 5 mins at a time though.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few of the Nano chargers and I have found that they charge varying amounts. One only charged the cell to about 20% so I binned it. I suspect that the amount of mins you have to run it on low for the voltage to drop enough depends on how good your charger is as people seem to have differing experiences.

Last edited: