Motorola Razr battery woes

pbs357

Enlightened
If you have a Razr, you know 2 things: 1) It really IS flat, which you already knew. 2) The battery life is about 2 days tops, maybe 1.5 hours talk time, which you probably DIDN'T know...

Does anybody have info on a longer running battery? I saw one on eBay that said it fit flush, but the original batt is ~750mAh, and this one says it's ~1900mAh! How can that be? Looking for advice, especially from the battery/electronics gurus here. Thanks!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Razr. But I dont charge mine for 4+ days sometimes. And when I do, only one notch of battery life is gone. Is this an isolated issue, or have you read up that its like this for most everyone? I will say that my Razr doesnt get as good life as my old LG Verizon phone, but it's definately not as bad as yours.

Perhaps I am just lucky with an outstanding battery

-Cameron

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a razr and the battery life sucks big time especially if you use the features on the phone and not just for talking. I have 2 spares charged up at all times. It's a real problem and thicker batteries will require a bigger battery door if they even make them.:rant:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think back to the early 90's when a Motorola analog flip phone was the size of a brick, and you were lucky to make it thru the day on the battery. Times have changed.

Two days ago I helped my aging parents each get a Razr, and I'd like to have one as well. I top off the battery on my current phone almost every day, so battery life isnt such an issue. I guess battery life is the cost to be paid for having such a thin phone.

cheers

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has gone 3 days with occasional use, but as short as 2 days when I spoke for more than an hour on one call and made a bunch of others.

Bill

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talk about a half hour a day with Razr and I top it off about every other night but it's still usually two bars. There are different types of Razrs. I have the older Cingular type but the Verizon V3C is more modern. I wonder if the battery life differentiates considerably amongst the Razr models.

rscanady

Enlightened
I average 4-5 days on mine with moderate talk time. (Around 300 minutes a month), and I use the functions A LOT, especially the calendar and BT. When I do charge it there is usually 2 of 6 bars on the battery meter in the menu (1 of 3 on the main screen).

Ryan

pbs357

Enlightened
4, 5 days??? You guys are lucky (or maybe don't make many calls?). Most of us seem to be the unfortunate ones... I use my phone on average about an hour a day during the weekdays (sales job) and on those days it'll just barely make it 2 days. I'll take it off the charger Monday morning, and by Tuesday evening the battery is usually done. :thumbsdow

The ebay battery I saw said it was Li-Po technology (Lithium Polymer???) None of the feedback said "wow, 1900 mAh, this lasts 4 days of heavy usage." :awman:

Jeers to Motorola on this one. Oh, and yes they do sell a Motorola brand extended battery and it does defeat the purpose of buying a really flat phone, as it hangs off the back. No longer does the Razr hide in your pocket with this batt, so I passed on it (for now anyways!). :rant:

rscanady

Enlightened
I guess it would all depend on how much you use it, mine is what I consider moderate (~300 minutes a month), and my screen brightness is set a little lower, but I do use the BT quite a bit.

For me it has worked great and had better battery life than my SE T616 did.

Ryan

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
ok.. I have a razr (alltel, same as VZW)... these are CDMA, cingular, is GSM... GSM is the same technology they use in europe, battery life will be significantly longer with a gsm phone compared to the same phone in cdma. that's unfortunately the way life is.

mine goes 2-3 days with decent usage (30-60 minutes a day, numerous text messages), with and without my bluetooth headset. I run it til it hits low battery. I don't care what they say, you will still "kill" a battery, or build up a memory no matter what. it's just like with a laptop, I have had half a dozen laptops, no matter how hard I tried, after about a year, the battery was good for about 20 minutes. same with cell phones.

I used to sell phones for alltel, and it was the same then, and my buddies that still work there tell me it's still about the same as it was 3 years ago with batteries. after about a year, they start to go bad, and taht you should let them discharge and charge back up fully about once a month.

I know that's counterintuitive from lithium rechargables we use with flashlights, but that's what I keep hearing from everyone.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a desk charger that comes with a spare battery from Verizon stores for $40. None of the sales reps seem to really know about it; I just got lucky one night and saw them unpacking a fresh crate of 'em.

The kit includes a spare battery and a recharging cradle.

InfidelCastro

Banned
From what I understand, the retail sold Razr phone comes with the good battery, the ones sold through Alltel, Verizon, Cingular, ect. (basically all the carriers) has the crappy battery and about half the memory too. Not to mention it's missing some other features, which I can't think of off the top of my head.

I know lots of people who have Razers. Nice slim phone, kinda wide, surprisingly heavy.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
mine has 40 megs of memory (alltel), the battery life just sucks cuz it's CDMA. and the problem is the BT is locked down to only work with a headset, no file transfers at all with it. :(

Luna

Enlightened
I put a newer firmware on mine and it helped the battery life a little, but the original battery plain sucks. I have a second battery (alway one one the standalone charger) that is much better.

I'm starting to think that bady heat is the culprit. I keep mine in my pocket and li-ions just don't like higher temps.

edit ::: "it's ~1900mAh!" I want one!!!!!

Luna

Enlightened
Ras_Thavas said:
You might try totally draining the battery then fully recharging it. Sometimes it helps.

It isn't something you have to do on purpose, it happens everytime I use the battery :D

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Are you inside of a building where the signal may be partially blocked? The phone will eat up power if it has to constantly check for a signal.

Luna

Enlightened
Ras_Thavas said:
Are you inside of a building where the signal may be partially blocked? The phone will eat up power if it has to constantly check for a signal.

It is a bad battery.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked for way more than 1.5 hours with my old Cingular Razr. I think my longest conversation was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, then I only lost a bar of battery. The razr now sits in the kitchen for use by another family member (I have upgraded to the Motorola SLVR/L7.) It gets charged every 3 or 4 days with moderate usage. I think its about time to buy a new battery for it.

I charge my SLVR about once a week or so (haha don't use it as much anymore.)

mccavazos

Enlightened
I have a few friends that have razrs, and they don't care much for them. They say that the phone is too slow, they drop calls, and I believe that they have mentioned a short battery life as well. Personally if I was going to get a new phone it would be the slvr.