Going to a police academy...please recommend some duty lights

AggiePhil

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to be starting a police academy in August and would like to get some suggestions for a good duty flashlight that can be worn on the belt. I'm thinking something similar to a Streamlight Stinger. But I know that you guys here at CPF know about all kinds of crazy flashlights and modified flashlights. So I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
your agency may provide you with rechargable lights to use. check first.

You can't go wrong with the Streamlight Stinger or Surefire 8NX for the belt. The Streamlight Strion I haven't had a chance to use but it should be good too, very similar to the Stinger but smaller.

AggiePhil

Newly Enlightened
Jumpmaster mentioned the Surefire 6R in a PM. Why don't they make it anymore?

I'm no stranger to Surefire lights. They're awesome combat lights. Only thing is that I think they might be a bit TOO bright for a general purpose light. I guess I'm wanting something more along the lines of a handheld flood light (so to speak) rather than a handheld spotlight. Does that make sense? Plus, every second I'm using a Surefire light, I feel like I can just sense the batteries draining at an ungodly rate. Kinda like when you floor it to pass a bunch of cars on a highway and you can actually see the fuel gauge going down. LOL.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
I carry the following:

-Mag60 (Magcharger with a WA1160 bulb) in my car, which is main light on traffic stops.
-G2/6P/C2 (with GP90 bulb + rechargeable 123s see lighthound.com) on my belt.
-L1P in pocket for searching cars.

Your choices should take into consideration what your agency allows, and what your work will mainly consist of...

Unless its prohibited by your department, I think that having a light large enough to tuck under your arm (while interviewing or on a traffic stop), be a pseudo baton, and throw some serious lumens is an absolute must.

Save the small floodlights for hiking.

Hope that helps

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out for Mahoney and Hightower.

I think a Surefire L2 would make a good pocket light to compliment a bigger light like a Stinger or Magcharger. Low should be enough to look in people's cars or read licences/registration without blinding yourself, and you've got a full blast wall of light just a button push away. Feed it with 14670 rechargables and keep some lithium spares handy in case you need extended runtime.

I see cops around here all the time with a Surefire L2/E2L/L4 in their pocket as well as Strions on their belt and a holster ring for bigger lights.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
I see cops around here all the time with a Surefire L2/E2L/L4 in their pocket as well as Strions on their belt and a holster ring for bigger lights.

Yep. 3 lights is my setup. Stinger or 8NX on the belt. 6Z or other two cell Surefire on belt. Hoster ring for SL20X.

magic79

Enlightened
AggiePhil said:
I guess I'm wanting something more along the lines of a handheld flood light (so to speak) rather than a handheld spotlight. Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. The Surefire L2 is perfect for your needs, in my opinion.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to look into the ROP-LE flashlight. It's a nice sized 2 C Maglite host that kicks out some bad a** light for more than 30 minutes. 675 or more lumens robust out the front lens to start at 4.2 amp draw and 550 lumens close to the end of the batts life at 32 minutes. There is no other small 2C mod that has the same amount of big brightness bark and versatilaty as the ROP-LE in the 2-C package. It's the stealth bomb.

Last edited:

Sgtbjs

Newly Enlightened
AggiePhil,

-Mag60 (Magcharger with a WA1160 bulb) in my car, which is main light on traffic stops.
-G2/6P/C2 (with GP90 bulb + rechargeable 123s see lighthound.com) on my belt.
-L1P in pocket for searching cars.

Sgtbjs

Newly Enlightened
AggiePhil,

I'll try that again, I keep double posting.

My setup is basically the same as onlinewarlords,
We've got a standard magcharger in the car and I've got a
-G2 with GP90 bulb + rechargeable 123 on my belt.
-I've got a Nuwai Q3 in my pocket for closeup searches, and when I just need less light.

I've found its handy to have something big and long lasting in the car, but vital to have something smaller on your belt. i've also found that it is very uncomforatable to try to use a mag size light as a tactical light for any length of time.

BTW Good luck in the Academy.

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
My issued light is a Surefire 8NX... I love the 8NX for duty use, and it has great light output.

In my left pocket is my Surefire L2, and in the car I keep the Surefire L6.

Not that I ever use it, but in the patrol car the dept has mounted Streamlight SL30's...

So, if you can only have one light, the 8NX is my recommendation

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think a decent runtime, durability, portability, and reliability would be key criteria if I were in your shoes.

A decent incan SF comes to mind. The magcharger also seems like a great suggestion too. Mag quality, runtime,rechargeable batteries and car chargers, and the ability to upgrade the bulb with a minor hit in runtime.

Possibly the Pelican M11 with a car charger. My Pelican is BRIGHT with a tight throw and decent corona.

Another option is the Wolf Eyes range of incans. Robocop has kindly posted his experiences with his W/E lights while on duty.

Just opinions as I am but a civilian. :)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello AggiePhil,

I have found the 8NX to be a great all around light. If you need more run time from it, this thread may be of interest to you.

Tom

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Golston 3.6 volt x2 with the recharger and 2 sets of batteries, from www.qualitychinagoods.com.

I have a couple of dozen of them used by patrol officers and since the word and hands on demos got out I get more request every day. They are well liked and are brighter than the Stinger.

You get a good price, about an hour runtime, very very bright light and they are small and can be handled while grappling with a suspect or used as a tactical hand held weapons light. They are blinding to someone looking right into it too.

When you look at the illumination, guess what? You cannot tell what the price of the light or brand, only that it is bright so you must look at the cause and effect equation and decide what your goal really is. Other lights may have some features like pulsing or dimming, belt clips, etc. You could spend more money if you are so inclined.

I am a certified police instructor in my state, I spent years in the LEO supply business, I have seen it, done it, been there and this is one of the good choices for lights out there right now. 33 years ago when I started all of this we used to carry large 3 and 4 cells and used them as impact weapons. Those days are gone. The light is now a light, the baton a baton. So think bright but you may want something not so bright for non-tactical use like finding the pen you just dropped under the seat (UltraFire AA x2, same supplier, or the 3 Watt Hy Tactical rechargeable with 4 hour run time). But that is my opinion. Yours is the opinion that really counts, do what you think will help you best. Your should check with the patrol supervisors on your department. Regulations and the nature of your environment should also affect your choice. E.g., Border Patrol trackers prefer long burn times less then 90 lumes, about 60 lumens, for cutting sign. Forensics like high power small lights to shine perpendicular to latent prints to locate them. Many departments have limitations of equipment carried by officers.

Good luck and congratualtions.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
AggiePhil, I currently carry on my duty belt:
- Pila GL3, with white/blue tail-cap LED and 3 Powerizer RCR123A 3.6 v li-ion rechargeable cells, in a black web nylon Stinger/Polystinger holster;
- MXDL 3 AAA 3 watt LED, with alkaline batteries, in a black basket weave leather OC spray canister holster.

I will eventually replace the MXDL with:
- LED Logic Striker VG, with 2 Powerizer RCR123A 3.0 v li-ion rechargeable cells, in a black web nylon Striker holster.

I have 2 sets of cells for each of the GL3 and VG, and both chargers have both AC & DC cords, so I should NEVER be without a light. I now work 10 hour shifts, which often turn into 12 or 14 hours, and mostly work nights, so I need light (I am kind of afraid of the dark).

I also carry the following in a tool box in the trunk of my patrol vehicle:
- no-name 1 million candle power rechargeable spot light;
- Pelican M6 xenon, with 2 x 123A li batteries;
- 3 Dorcy 2 D 9" LED traffic wands;
- Mag-lite 3 C, with TerraLux 3 watt LED module;
- Mag-lite 3 C, with Nite-Ize 2 to 6 C or D LED bulb;
- Mag-lite 2 C, with borofloat lens, KPR118 bulb, MOP cammed reflector and 3 Powerizer RCR123A 3.6 v li-ion rechargeable cells.

One of my partners is evaluating my VG to consider ordering one, a 2nd is evaluating my 2 C to possibly buy it, a 3rd is evaluating my 3 C with TL module to see if they want to buy a module or the whole light, and a 4th is thinking about buying my P M6. The 3 C with N-I LED is not as bright as the MXDL.

4 Powerizer RCR123A 3.6 v li-ion rechargeable cells will power up a KPR144 bulb, but not impressively. I am waiting for some Mag-lite LWSA601 bulbs, and may get some Mag-lite LMSA601 bulbs, to try to over-drive in one of my 3 C, as the KPR118 are not lasting too long with 3 x 18500 or 4 Powerizer RCR123A 3.6 v li-ion rechargeable cells.

I would suggest choosing something no bigger/heavier than a 3 C, but am waiting to try out the Tigerlight in the passaround. You may want to consider Pila or Wolf-Eyes for incandescent lights, the Striker (if you have some money), Night-Ops Gladius (if you have LOTS of money) or the MXDL (not much money) for LED.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would strongly suggest not buying anything until you know what you are allowed/not allowed to carry.

Especially in a Police Academy where every cadet/recruit usually has to look the same, etc. Unauthorized equipment won't be tolerated.

--dan

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know where he's going and he has a variety of options for what he can carry for the academy. The equipment lists that students should bring a "...Maglight, Surefire, Streamlight, etc." so anything along those lines will be fine.

This is not a department-run academy. Anyone can attend.

JM-99

AggiePhil

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions guys! I'm going to do some research and look into the lights y'all recommended. One thing that surprised me though was seeing the rechargable Maglite recommended so much. I guess I thought that you flashlight snobs probably consider Maglites to be poop. Especially since you get that funky shaped beam with the dead spot in the center. Are the rechargable Maglites just a lot better or what?

While I definitely will have a Surefire handheld weaponlight (squeeze grip) on my belt (unless I can wind up with one of the railed guns, in which case I'll buy a SF X200A), the area that I'm less experienced in is a general purpose light that isn't so bright it blinds you when you shine it on a drivers license a couple feet from your face. Hell, my SF G2Z (with the 120 lumen bulb) is so bright that sometimes when I'm using it for basic house navigation, I shine it up at the ceiling instead of down on the ground cause the beam is just SO bright. LOL