why does everyone hate sony personlal audio

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant belive ya all dont agree there mp3 players sound the best .i can tell a sony like night and day plus there battery life is so amazeing i edited the thread i was refering to there personal audio like walkmans and mp3 playewrs sorry for not being more clear but i also love there tvs

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: why does everyone hate sony

Beats me, I love sony too for sound quality and loudness.

I was looking at amps the other day and saw a brand names DUB. WTF? Folks tell me its a great amp, great company. Ive never heard of them, but it was priced right and it was the only unopened box. I passed on it and glad I did with my van condition.

carrot

Flashaholic

Plenty of reasons.
Most recently, DRM rootkits.
And before that, their refusal to properly support MP3 on their flagship HD Walkman.
And apparently, the reliability of their Vaio laptops is (or used to be) a hit-or-miss, although I don't have any hard information about that.

But I like Sony products, if a little expensive. I've got a tiny Sony digital camera (which I misplaced), and I love my Sony PSP.

cyberhobo

Enlightened

For car audio Sony is what you want to pass on. I prefer Alpine for head units, sound processors and amps (not sub amps). For speakers, JL Audio, Polk and Boston. Sony is good for portable items like Walkmans.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i do agree there wierd copy protection sucks but man there units sound so good my himd player blows my ipod away id even go far as saying a song encoded at 64 bit in atrac sounds better on the sony then a mp3 at 128 bit and the battery life on sony is 4 times as long

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast

In reality, Sony products are way inferior compared to others. The others though come with a higher price. Car Audio is an example. They make really cheap stuff sometimes, and it also will sometimes sound good. But in reality its poor quality compared to the higher end products. The average person cant tell the difference. Another great example is Home Theater stuff. The products you can get at Tweeter are WAY better than what Sony products you are going to buy at Best Buy. Speakers in particular, but it goes much farther into it than that. I am a Quality over Quantity person, so I will most always opt for the higer priced product as its almost always better in some way.

Sony just has their name out there for all the products they do make, and dominate the market by far because of their broad product line.

-Cameron

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i should state i am refering to personel audio ill make change up top but there tvs rock to

carrot

Flashaholic
I agree, Sony's stuff isn't nearly as high-end as people perceive them to be, but in general, Sony makes good products that compare well to higher-priced counterparts (eg: EX-71 vs. Shure E2c -- yes, I know Shure isn't all it's cracked up to be). That's why Sony is such a successful company, and why I will continue to consider Sony for my electronics needs.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Sony's cameras, and their stuff like Discmans (Discmen?). They've also made some good mid-level home audio stuff in the past (tape and CD decks come to mind) although I think quality has gone down. I'm a huge fan of Trinitron TV's--I have three in various sizes. Actually the newest one (1997, 27") was poorly made in Mexico and I had to resolder some connectors (why I got it for free) but it has a killer picture.

Not a fan of Sony car audio, and while Vaios are very neat I'll never buy one. They've had a huge problem with poorly engineered laptops overheating and/or frying capacitors that cause it to shutdown. I also have had zero luck with Sony SW radios. Bad caps, again.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like I had the same mid 1990's ~27inch Sony TV as you did... Hardly lasted 1 year with high voltage pops every so often then finally died--So disgusted, didn't even bother with warranty fight. Picture was fine, but the quality was poor...

Toshiba Tube TV's have been really good for me (and, IIRC, the only 1 year warranty—with Sony and others at 90 days).

Who knows how long the new LCD and the rest will last.

Bought the cheapest off-brand 32" LCD TV from Costco--Let them be my warranty center if something bad happen. So far, so good...

-Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
DRM that oversteps the line of decency and probably (I am not a lawyer) legality. And their refusal to support industry standards - see the memory stick for details. Another reason why you'll never find me carrying a Sony camera. Ever since they killed their FD Trinitron series in 17" and 19", there's been nothing left to love.

So I don't think I should be giving them any more of my money...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
looks at thread shocked my sony tv is awesume its like old as hell and shows nice picture .and wait to there new ps3 comes out i want one so bad

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also draw the line at DRM. IMO Sony has it's head in a very dark place on that subject.

I will say that I've had quite a few of Sony's portable shortwaves and I found them more useful than any of the others throughout the 80s and 90s. The 2001, 2010, Pro-80 and 55 were all great little radios and I still have the last three and would never part with them. Mrs Umbra and I both have other Sony radios that we use every day that we would be lost without.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to like Sony TVs until I fixed a few of them (total PIA!) Talked to some guys at a TV station back in late 1989 and they told me Panasonic was the most reliable TV/VCR. Purchased a 29" multi-system/auto-voltage Panasonic TV in Feb 1990 and matched it with a Panasonic AG1960 SVHS VCR.

Those two Panasonics are in my bedroom and have been shipped from Italy were I bought them to Arkansas, to Texas, to Korea, back to Texas and now Turkey and they still work! :) OK, the AG1960 is an industrial VCR and uses gear driven loaders, bearingless heads and a single kevlar toothed belt but it has never failed.

For stereo equipment, I immediately pass on Sony... prefer Onkyo for receivers, Carver for amps and Infinity/AR/ELF for speakers. Sony always perfers to control the market by introducing proprietary stuff (memory sticks, mini-discs etc) Sony attempts to be a monopoly even when they are not, no wonder Samsung has a larger market cap than Sony.

As far as personal audio goes, get some good headphones and enjoy!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many people may point out that when Sony introduced their first portable color TV in 1968 (The Trinitron ); that marked the spot when Japanese manufacturers became the true inovators in electronic products.

Sony might have started the personal audio craze when they introduce the walkman in the early 80's. My dad still has the Sony Walkman II he bought for around $100 in 1982 when personal tape players started becoming popular. I also have the headphones that come with it; I found it easy to repair since I could take it apart at the "mute" button in the middle splice in a new cord (the original developed a worn spot on it that caused the left channel to cut out). It still sounds great, if not, better than the earbuds that came with my iRiver mp3 player. Not bad for a 25 year old pair of headphones.

Sony might have used to make some good TVs however, my mom prefers Hitachi over Sony. She hates Toshiba though, the first two TVs she bought were Toshibas and both broke down within a month so she ended up going with a Hitachi and it has lasted.

In my opinon, it seems as if Sony is always more expensive that most other brands; espeically when you consider off-brand "made in china" products and that they sometimes use propiatory batteries and accessories (Memory sticks come to mind and their InfoLithium camcorder batteries) Those maybe some of the reasons why many people are deterred.