Not really a torch...But still very sexy :o)

evil.mooo

Newly Enlightened
Well, I made this for my girlfriend for Christmas.

Off.jpg

On.jpg

It is only the second thing I have ever done with superbright LED's. Unfortunately, I only have access to some shocking 6000mcd LEDs. No luxeon stars for me
frown.gif

It is powered off a standard Nokia Mobile phone charger, and is quite handy as a nightlight.

It looks very sexy, and for those who don't know, the Fremantle Dockers is an AFL (Australian Football League) team. This is real footy
smile.gif

OT - Oh, yeah, is it possible to get LS's in Slovakia? Any other cool things there? I am going on exchange for a year, leaving next week.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ahhhhh, Gulash & Pastries...wish I was going! Staying in touch on the Web I hope! And speaking of "Real Foot Ball"...YEAH! And BTW, nice work!

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey! A Dockers fan.
smile.gif
I support the Eagles myself, but I'm not so deep in to the sport. Nice piece of work there. Did you etch the glass yourself or was it a team souvenior? Good luck with your year in Slovakia.

evil.mooo

Newly Enlightened
Hehehe, I am not a Dockers supporter. I too am an Eagles fan.

Believe me, it was torture making this. Staring at a dockers logo for so long
smile.gif

And it isn't glass. I engraved the image (with a standard engraver) into a polycarbonate sheet. I would like to make one out of glass, but I wouldn't know how to go about etching it. The LED's are mounted inside holes in the polycarbonate sheet. How can I drill glass? I have had a bad experience trying with special tungsten carbide bits. A AUD$200 photovoltaic panel down the drain. And it was my high-schools money as well
smile.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
It's something that I've been meaning to do for a long long time, but I don't have a dremel or something similar.

My idea though is to cut the sheet up into different letters.

That is great work evil.mooo , must have been hard keeping a constant depth.

-YC

evil.mooo

Newly Enlightened
Not really. All I had to do was roughen the surface. It was quite easy, just time consuming.

If I did it again, i would reverse the image and engrave it on the back however. It is far brighter because of the total internal reflection off the hollow strokes. As it is now, the image is of the light coming out of the front, which is just the light that is made visible by the opaque surface created by roughening it.