D3 to M4??? help the noob...

highorder

Enlightened
hey guys. I have a G2, E2e, and a D3 from SF.

I want to run the D3 with a turbohead and a cell extender as a M4. what parts do I need?

is it as simple as a A19 and a KT1? what LA do I need?

also, I would like to use pila cells (or a better option) to run it.. 2 600s?

any comments would be great, as well as links to vendors that will take my $$$.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I can't speak for Pila rechargeable batteries (others will let you know the options they find work)

The A19 extends the standard body to hold an extra SF123A battery.

The "KT1/KT2" TurboHeads replace the standard bezels.

The Lamp Assemblies for SureFires powered by four-SF123A batteries are:
MN60 250lu/60min
MN61 350lu/20min
N62 500lu/12min (difficult to get hold of, may be discontinued)

The KT2 is the TurboHead kit intended for three-SF123A models such as the 9P/C3/D3 etc. It has the N2 Lamp Assembly.
If you can get hold of a KT2 then great.

However, you can also use the KT1 (the N1 lamp is for two-SF123A models)

If I were going to do what you're intending I would purchase either a KT2, A19, MN61 and a box of SF123A batteries. If the KT2 was not in stock but the KT1 was I would be tempted to get the KT1 instead and not have to wait.

I hope this helps?

Al

highorder

Enlightened
thanks!

what is the cheapest source for these components? I usually shop lighthound (batteries), as there is no local "parts" store.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Light hound or OpticsHQ.

Do a search on here and you'll fnd the instructions for getting the very good CPF discount at OpticsHQ

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
It is my understanding from John at LightHound that the TurboHead in the KT1 is identical to the TurboHead in the KT2 which makes the lamp assembly the only difference between the two kits. I did what Size15's indicated he would be tempted to do. Since I already had a cell extender, I purchased a KT1-BK from John and, for a few bucks more, he substituted an MN60 in place of the N1 that came with the kit. Very nice.

highorder

Enlightened
thanks for the info! any thoughts on rechargables for the three and four cell bodies?

and, is there a LA for the stock D3 bezel that will run 12 (or more) volts?

bagman

Enlightened
Recharegables on a 3 x 123a body is easy.

I run a P91 on 2 x protected 17500's or 2 x Pila 150S's (PILA's need a double click though)

On an M3 body 2 x 17500's will power the MN11 HOLA and the M3T MN16 HOLA in the turbo head.

With an extender both these bodies will also use 2 x protected 17670's with the same lamp assemblies.

All the non pila cels are the new ones being sold here by AW, I dont think the older versions are a s "good"

Dont know of a recharegable option for 12v LA's though?

Paladin

Enlightened
Been there, done that...and an M3T "clone" is a great place to start, and end. My 9P/KT-2/MN16 rated 225 lumens is ALMOST as capable under real world field conditions as an M4/N62 rated at 500 lumens!

The extra battery does increase the volume of light, but does NOT extend the range significantly because after 50 to 100 yards atmospheric mist and dust cause returning glare that begins to obscure the more distant target being observed/illuminated.

The A19 adapter will allow you to utilize the M4 lamps, but seriously, a 9P/KT-2 using the N2, MN15, and MN16 lamps is pretty darn versatile. The D3 will provide the same results, but be aware the pocket clip will likely be unusable when the KT-2 head is mounted. Might want to remove it for a more streamlined body. HTH.

Paladin

Pierat

Newly Enlightened
I would like to revive this topic and add a new element. Lighthound is selling the "Lumens Factory HO-M6R High Output 700 Lumens Lamp Assembly for SureFire M6" How about plugging that sucker into a D3 body?