Your opinion on Ebay problem

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe not really a problem.

I completed a sale on ebay (as seller).
I mailed out the item on april 25 to a P.O. box

Item just got returned with a sticker stating "Box closed-unable to forward-return to sender"

Here's my question for your opinions, I will now email the buyer to see if I can contact her, and if I get a responce would it be in poor taste to ask for additional shipping fee?
It was $4 priority mail.

What do you think? I have not received any emails from this buyer and had no idea this could/would happen. Double checked mailing addie and it is correct.

Just wanna do the right thing as I feel bad but don't feel that I should have top pay for their oversight and lack of communication.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just contact the buyer and offer to post it free of charge as standard mail as long as you have been payed for the item in full.

or they can pay you extra for a priority service.

it`s not worth the hassle for a couple of dollars, plus you could get negative feedback.

just see it as a learning experance and dont ship to po boxes again.

regards.

Brlux

Enlightened
As a frequent ebay buyer and on rare ocasions a seller I would think it to be the buyers responsability to make sure there shipping addres is corect. If I gave the wrong addres and it was then returned to the seller I would expect to have to pay for shipping again to have the item shipped to the corect addres.

Brlux

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Offer to ship it to them again at their cost. Their fault they have a closed P.O. box. Don't stop shipping to P.O. boxes because of one person's irresponsibility.

If they paid by PayPal and this was their "Confirmed" address, report the problem to PayPal too.

JM-99

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Brlux on this one - contact the buyer to find out a new address and ask that they send the shipping fees PRIOR to your sending the item. It isn't your fault that you did exactly what you were supposed to (actually in rereading this it is your fault). The buyer needs to have a valid address or they should be willing to accept the consequences. You should take a pic of the parcel and the USPS return comments as documentation of what happened.
Sam

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
changsn said:
It isn't your fault that you did exactly what you were supposed to (actually in rereading this it is your fault). ............ You should take a pic of the parcel and the USPS return comments as documentation of what happened.
Sam

How so?
Good idea about the photo, will do that.

changsn

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, it was a joke - it was clearly your fault that you shipped correctly - of course it would also have been your fault if you didn't ship correctly. When I first wrote the line, I didn't realize that 'fault' was probably not the correct word, and in rereading it I edited the remark in parentheses as an attempt at humor. You're probably a little sensitive on this and I apologize for not making this clear.

Sam

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would wait to hear from the buyer, just in case the error lies with the post office. If the buyer says the address is correct, then the post office would appear to have made the mistake. Then perhaps you could do a 50-50 split with the additional shipping charge. If the buyer admits the error, or provides a different address however, then it is her responsibility to pay for the "re-routing."

If I were the seller, I might also take into consideration the amount the item sold for.

nethiker

Enlightened
I would just assume they will pay for shipping again. When you contact them, just ask how they would like the item shipped and to where. Then let them know how much it will be. Depending on the conversation, you can always decide to be generous and eat the expense. I would hope most people would be appologetic for the extra time required to ship it twice and be glad to pay the extra cost.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
changsn said:
Sorry, it was a joke - it was clearly your fault that you shipped correctly - of course it would also have been your fault if you didn't ship correctly. When I first wrote the line, I didn't realize that 'fault' was probably not the correct word, and in rereading it I edited the remark in parentheses as an attempt at humor. You're probably a little sensitive on this and I apologize for not making this clear.

Sam

not sensative, just wondering what you meant, my fault for not understanding the humor

Well I emailed the buyer, am asking for shipping, was only $3. I did what i was supposed to. I feel the same would happen if one was dealing with a retailer.